Poopchutes & Bladders Tour had MORE surprises

On the Snakes & Arrows tour, we got treated to a TRUE glimpse of what a REAL "Time Machine" tour SHOULD be...we got FIVE songs that were TOTALLY a surprise and a GREAT breath of fresh air!!!

We got:

1) Digital Man

2) Entre Nous

3) Mission

4) Circumstances

5) A Passage To Bangkok

Now, on an advertised "Time Machine Tour" after much hype and expected excitement and conjecture, the band takes a few steps back and actually delivers LESS surprises and hardly ANY unexpected songs than the tour before it...even after describing a "totally different setlist" than we are used to. So, we got:

1) Presto...if I could wave my magic wand, I'd p*ss all over this sh*t song

2) Marathon

3) The Camera Eye

One could argue that Time Stand Still and Stick It Out were also unexpected, but really? These are two of the types of songs that ANYONE interested in a "Rush Time Machine Tour" would NOT be expecting to hear. Played to death over the years live in the 90's when no one cared much, and not requested really by anyone to ever be heard again. And while I appreciate the inclusion of an obscure song such as Presto on this tour as the TYPE of obscure "less played" songs that they SHOULD have chosen for this tour...let me go on a tangent here.

Let's just say that when I used to TRY to get into the Presto album many years ago (hoping in my mind that Rush would have regained SOME glimpse of what made them great), when the tape got to this song I simply had to turn it off. I endured the album up to that point. I could take no more. I tried. Repeatedly. I just couldn't make it any farther. About the first two minutes into the song Presto is when that album's listenability absolutely ended. Kind of like driving an underpowered car towing a 30ft travel trailer up a mountain, slowly but getting through, suffering, sticking through it, trying to make it, having to poop, only to finally have the transmission explode and the car/trailer stop immediately in the middle of the road about halfway up the incline. That is the embodiment of the arrival at the 2 minute mark of the song Presto in making it up the mountain that is listening to the Presto album.

QUOTE (Phallic's Lifeson @ Jul 22 2010, 01:23 AM)
You disagree that Entre Nous, Mission, Circumstances, Digital Man, and A Passage To Bangkok were 5 complete surprises and that this current tour contains less surprises than last tour?

Wow.

Someone doesn't pay attention.

"Someone doesn't pay attention"? Nice attitude, guy. He disagreed with your opinion. It's a message board, that sort of thing happens here.

QUOTE (Phallic's Lifeson @ Jul 22 2010, 01:29 AM)
Stating that those five songs were surprises was not an opinion.

facepalm.gif

Yes, it was an opinion. I know what you're getting at as far as what constitutes a "surprise," but any song they play besides those four or five "must play" classic songs and any new songs are technically surprises. Are we going to sit here and argue semantics all night?

I posted at you because you used your second post on this board to give someone attitude. There are better ways to introduce yourself.

Welcome to the board, BTW.

I agree that for a "Time Machine Tour" they really didn't drag out any true gems from the past. At least ones that the casual fan would appreciate.

I am stoked for TST and Presto but neither of those really resonate with the average fan. And I have no clue why SIO made the list. There are much better songs from that album...IMO.

But I disagree with your assesment of the album Presto. I think it is genius. It's a little too thin sounding for my taste but that what was going on at the time.

But IMO...the song writing overall, is fantastic. One of my favorite records.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 22 2010, 01:34 AM)
QUOTE (Phallic's Lifeson @ Jul 22 2010, 01:29 AM)
Stating that those five songs were surprises was not an opinion.

facepalm.gif

Yes, it was an opinion. I know what you're getting at as far as what a "surprise" is, but any song they play besides those four or five "must play" classic songs and any new songs are technically surprises. Are we going to sit here and argue semantics all night?

I posted at you because you used your second post on this board to give someone attitude. There are better ways to introduce yourself.

Welcome to the board, BTW.

I know some people that were estatic that Marathon and Presto were being played. Some people are tired of hearing Tom Sawyer and Freewill at concerts. Thats the beauty of RUSH. All the different tastes of the fans.

EDIT: I've rewritten my message since it included several spoilers in a thread not marked as such. My apologies. EDIT

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Rush could play their entire discography in one night and people would STILL find something to be unhappy about.

When the members of Rush say "surprises", they don't always mean songs they haven't played since 1974, or "Fancy Dancer", or anything to that likeness. They probably mean songs that could appeal to the more casual Rush fan who are only familiar with their more popular staples.

So yes: if you throw in their most popular songs, plus several others off of multiple albums through time, plus a tremendous encore (in my opinion), that s a FREAKING TIME MACHINE TOUR!

Edited by Hemispheres89

The Chicago show was the best show I have seen by them...however..... I was really suprised that they did not bring back Jacob's Ladder... That is a song that should of been a mainstay through out the years......much like Natural Science has been in the last years... still... a great show..

I wish I had the ability to say welcome to the boards but I don't. Just another person here with all their whiny, cry baby bullshit. If you don't like what they play stop listening to their music, going to their concerts, etc. Save the shows for someone who actually appreciates it. Let me guess, it wasn't the true time machine show you expected because they didn't play In the Mood or Finding My Way? Get lost.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jul 21 2010, 10:47 PM)
EDIT: I've rewritten my message since it included several spoilers in a thread not marked as such. My apologies. EDIT

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Rush could play their entire discography in one night and people would STILL find something to be unhappy about.
When the members of Rush say "surprises", they don't always mean songs they haven't played since 1974, or "Fancy Dancer", or anything to that likeness. They probably mean songs that could appeal to the more casual Rush fan who are only familiar with their more popular staples.

So yes: if you throw in their most popular songs, plus several others off of multiple albums through time, plus a tremendous encore (in my opinion), that s a FREAKING TIME MACHINE TOUR!

Excellent post!!!!

I think the set list is just fine. It's just an "in between" tour anyway.

We lucky Rush fans have more surprises ahead!!

Enjoy the band while you can!

I could have lived without "Faithless" but hey, when I see them again on August 9th I will make sure to hit the bathroom and grab a new beer.

Rush rules no matter what they play!!!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 22 2010, 01:22 AM)
QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jul 21 2010, 10:47 PM)
EDIT:  I've rewritten my message since it included several spoilers in a thread not marked as such. My apologies.  EDIT

When the members of Rush say "surprises", they don't always mean songs they haven't played since 1974, or "Fancy Dancer", or anything to that likeness.  They probably mean songs that could appeal to the more casual Rush fan who are only familiar with their more popular staples.

Excellent post!!!!

I think the set list is just fine. It's just an "in between" tour anyway.

We lucky Rush fans have more surprises ahead!!

Enjoy the band while you can!

I could have lived without "Faithless" but hey, when I see them again on August 9th I will make sure to hit the bathroom and grab a new beer.

Rush rules no matter what they play!!!!

trink39.gif

The biggest problem with the setlist is that there was so much hype going in, interviews with the band mentioning Jacob's Ladder, and various quotes saying how this setlist would be really different and such. If they hadn't said any of that, there might have been far less bitching. There is no question that last tour had more (and far better!!!) surprises. I think that if they flipped Far Cry and TSOR, picked another old song instead of Closer to the Heart, and added one more classic staple(or surprise...or even kept a song like Circumstances or Bangkok from last tour), this would be the best setlist they've ever played (at least since the Hemispheres tour anyway---that was hands down my favorite setlist).

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 22 2010, 01:19 AM)
I wish I had the ability to say welcome to the boards but I don't. Just another person here with all their whiny, cry baby bullshit. If you don't like what they play stop listening to their music, going to their concerts, etc. Save the shows for someone who actually appreciates it. Let me guess, it wasn't the true time machine show you expected because they didn't play In the Mood or Finding My Way? Get lost.

I hate it when a fanboy assumes that if you bring up something that THEY perceive to be in a negative light the first thing they jump to is "You hate everything before 1980" or "Go comb your mullet and listen to In The Mood."

I mean seriously...can you come up with ANYTHING better than that?

Is someone handing out free sledgehammers with new TRF memberships today?

(If so, I'm complaining. I want a sledgehammer! All I got when I joined two and a half years ago was that fruit basket, which would have been great except 3/4 of it was bananas. I don't like bananas).

"Phallic's Lifeson"....hmmm....interesting name.....hmmmmm.

you could argue though the entire moving pictures album is the real "time machine" aspect of the tour.

http://elbarametal.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/rush_moving_pictures.jpg

I am not sure why people hate Presto so much?

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/609/cover_441171332009.jpg

I mean it does not remind me of.....

(MOD EDIT: pic of shit log removed)

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 22 2010, 03:55 PM)
Is someone handing out free sledgehammers with new TRF memberships today? 

(If so, I'm complaining.  I want a sledgehammer!  All I got when I joined two and a half years ago was that fruit basket, which would have been great except 3/4 of it was bananas.  I don't like bananas).

I think someone slipped a new clause into the registration agreement a few days ago when we weren't looking. And I think it says,

Welcome to TRF! You have been given a voucher for seven (7) free smartass 'Tude posts, but you must use them ALL within your first ten (10) posts on the board, otherwise you forfeit them. Once you use them, you agree to post like an adult. Enjoy your stay!

at least it's not....this....

http://www.markglinsky.com/tull2.jpg

Or this......

http://rgcred.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/foghat-third.jpg

or even this....

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/more_names/blog/albumcover.jpg

which would pretty much be this....

(MOD EDIT: pic of dog shit removed)

you might need this......

(MOD EDIT: pic of dog shit removed)

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jul 22 2010, 03:07 PM)
"Phallic's Lifeson"....hmmm....interesting name.....hmmmmm.

I am not sure why people hate Presto so much?

I mean it does not remind me of.....
(MOD EDIT: pic of shit log removed)

Some songs on Presto are OK or at least listenable. But some are just mindnumbingly awful such as Whore Paint, The Ass, Pissto, Ass-a-grab For Man-ho, Red Mountain Fresh Tide with Bleach, Ass Insert Fist, Poopycumdickedher, and Available Shit.

Show Don't Tell and Chain Lightening are pretty good.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Start banning people for bashing setlists and bashing the band and all of this bullshit nonsense will stop....this forum is for us all to discuss our common love for the same band in a friendly and respectful manner. If you saw the setlist and don't like it, tough shit, don't go to the concert and save those seats for people like me and the hundreds of other people on here who would buy the worst seat in the house if necessary just to get a chance to see them live one more time.

QUOTE (Phallic's Lifeson @ Jul 22 2010, 04:25 PM)
Some songs on Presto are OK or at least listenable. But some are just mindnumbingly awful such as Whore Paint, The Ass, Pissto, Ass-a-grab For Man-ho, Red Mountain Fresh Tide with Bleach, Ass Insert Fist, Poopycumdickedher, and Available Shit.

eh.gif