Weed and Rush...

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 22 2010, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (yyz98 @ Jul 22 2010, 11:16 AM)
...at the hospital where I work, I see a great deal of folks that are suffering and dying from alcohol, long term use (liver failure, etc), and short term use(car accidents and alcohol poisoning). Yet, for as many years as I have been there, no marajuana related issues.

the 'empirical' data set you presented above is acutely flawed (but I bet you knew that, didn't you? wink.gif )

it is far more difficult to immediately attribute:

asthma

mouth cancer

lung cancer

anxiety

depression

schizophrenia

^ to marijuana than it is to attribute:

liver failure

alcohol-related car accidents

alcohol poisoning

^ to alcohol

just because it's effects aren't as obviously recognized/diagnosed, or as easily recognizable and attributable, and aren't as reported by patients (remember, marijuana is still 'illegal') does not make marijuana less dangerous/harmful than alcohol

a specious argument, my friend

[and you should know better]

Yea, there must be tons of medical journals where there is reference to marijuana being the contributing factor to these health issue's, but the quick search I did I couldn't find any. But there must be some type of direct connection recorded somewhere, if maybe you could give us a link to those results that would be wonderful. applaudit.gif

asthma

mouth cancer

lung cancer

anxiety

depression

schizophrenia

But, since you say so,

I'm convinced that most of these diseases are caused by smoking pot,

since you say so

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ghostworks - great post - you hit it dead on - I agree it doesn't make it better, but the perception makes you in tune or in line with it and you hear shit you never heard before. You focus on the music and nothing else. You hear notes you never heard before with this focus. So it comes across as better or maybe just a better experience.

So yeah, for me it makes the music sound better. I can't say that I have ever listened to anything stoned though and said later that it sucked. Maybe not as good or for video not as funny, but sucked - no. No different than jokes with friends - yeah that wa really funny when we were stoned. Not so funny now that Joe broke his arm, but still funny.

The ACC comment early - Back in 2007 i saw Rush at ACC and lit up right in my seat with my friends. I guess I really didn't care at the time. first time i lit up at a show in 20 years. Did not get dragged out by anyone - which was good. So this year we came preapared, but I wa cautious and decided against it. None the less there was the hotel before and after the show. I enjoyed myself just the same and the music was just as good.

2.gif

From the sound of some of the marijuana trips a lot of you guys claim to have had, it sounds like you've been getting some laced shit.

As to the ghostworks marijuana does not cause anxiety/depression/schizophrenia/any other mental dissorder it may only awaken one if you already have one.

Yes, I agree with the poster who said that THC simply tricks the mind making it more easily impressed. Although what's wrong with that?

On a side note, while listening to Bastille Day under the influence I realized how f***ing awesome the drums sound.

QUOTE (Paulp Fiction @ Jul 22 2010, 09:21 PM)
From the sound of some of the marijuana trips a lot of you guys claim to have had, it sounds like you've been getting some laced shit.

These panic attacks and bouts of paranoia arent from the weed being laced or being bad weed. These types of behaviors and fears are caused by the weed being reaped/picked at the wrong time in its life cycle.

I think its a little insulting to the artist performing it like "your music isn't good enough sober so lets get baked" I would never go to a concert high but listening to it high on your own can be quite and experience

Personally, I find marijuana (and any other illegal drug, for that matter) to be a complete waste of time. I guess, having never done any sort of illegal drugs, I don't "understand," but the thought just never appealed to me. I don't even drink at Rush concerts (and I can drink even the largest man under the table, believe me!) because I truly love the experience of the concert, both the audio and visual aspects. I don't need any sort of chemical alteration to enjoy it. And I don't need any mind or perception alteration to enjoy or appreciate the music.

I have seen drugs of all types completely ruin lives. I see it every day in my job, and I do not have any sort of relationship with my mother because of her drug use. Thanks, but no thanks. Not being preachy, just my opinion and my experience.

Wanna smoke pot, whatever...just, don't be stupid about it, and don't smoke right next to my 10 year old son (happened on the lawn at his first Rush show). That's just f@cking rude. angry.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 23 2010, 04:53 AM)
Personally, I find marijuana (and any other illegal drug, for that matter) to be a complete waste of time. I guess, having never done any sort of illegal drugs, I don't "understand," but the thought just never appealed to me. I don't even drink at Rush concerts (and I can drink even the largest man under the table, believe me!) because I truly love the experience of the concert, both the audio and visual aspects. I don't need any sort of chemical alteration to enjoy it. And I don't need any mind or perception alteration to enjoy or appreciate the music.

I have seen drugs of all types completely ruin lives. I see it every day in my job, and I do not have any sort of relationship with my mother because of her drug use. Thanks, but no thanks. Not being preachy, just my opinion and my experience.

Wanna smoke pot, whatever...just, don't be stupid about it, and don't smoke right next to my 10 year old son (happened on the lawn at his first Rush show). That's just f@cking rude. angry.gif

Well said. I was glad to see that two years ago no one was smoking around my 9 year old. If they were, they were being discreet. I hope that is the case tonight at SPAC.

Weed won't make music sound better....especially if you are the player actually making it.....

it's completely ridiculous to think it ever would.

signed: drummer of 30 years.

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 23 2010, 05:53 AM)
Personally, I find marijuana (and any other illegal drug, for that matter) to be a complete waste of time.  I guess, having never done any sort of illegal drugs, I don't "understand," but the thought just never appealed to me.  I don't even drink at Rush concerts (and I can drink even the largest man under the table, believe me!) because I truly love the experience of the concert, both the audio and visual aspects.  I don't need any sort of chemical alteration to enjoy it.  And I don't need any mind or perception alteration to enjoy or appreciate the music. 

I have seen drugs of all types completely ruin lives.  I see it every day in my job, and I do not have any sort of relationship with my mother because of her drug use.  Thanks, but no thanks.  Not being preachy, just my opinion and my experience. 

Wanna smoke pot, whatever...just, don't be stupid about it, and don't smoke right next to my 10 year old son (happened on the lawn at his first Rush show).  That's just f@cking rude. angry.gif

trink39.gif I'm another one who is firmly in the camp of wanting to be clear-headed during a show.

I've attended a show in the company of someone who was unable to smoke beforehand because he didn't quite have enough grass to get the job done(I posted about this guy at length a while back). As much of a Rush fan as he was, as awesome a show as they put on, he felt the night was a complete waste of his time and money. All because he couldn't get stoned.

Putting aside the fact that I quickly grew tired of hearing him bitch about the fact that he had to remain lucid, I cannot understand that mentality at all.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jul 23 2010, 07:53 AM)
Weed won't make music sound better....especially if you are the player actually making it.....

And almost every other musician in the world disagrees with you.

Signed,

Miles Davis

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 23 2010, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Jul 23 2010, 07:53 AM)

And almost every other musician in the world disagrees with you.

Signed,

Miles Davis

tongue.gif

I gotta wonder who ever came up with the idea of inhaling the smoke of burning leaves. I'm sure anyone who remembers their first puff of a cigarette can attest that it's not an enjoyable experience.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:15 PM)
I gotta wonder who ever came up with the idea of inhaling the smoke of burning leaves. I'm sure anyone who remembers their first puff of a cigarette can attest that it's not an enjoyable experience.

Well, there's always a foolhardy first person in any situation. There's that old comedy standby -

Hey, who was the first person that ever looked at a cow and said, "You see those dangly things under that cow? I'm going to squeeze them. And then if something comes out, I'll drink it."

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 23 2010, 01:15 PM)
I gotta wonder who ever came up with the idea of inhaling the smoke of burning leaves.

Wasn't that Jesus . . . . .

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:53 AM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 23 2010, 01:15 PM)

Initially they used to burn it in a campfire and hang out around the fire.

then they bored holes into the ground and had a ground toke.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 22 2010, 03:08 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 22 2010, 05:57 AM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 21 2010, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 21 2010, 03:28 PM)
Weed makes the music sound a lot better. That's the main reason people smoke at concerts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for legalization and privatization of weed. I, myself, am over it. This statement, however, is something that I have to contest. If you sincerely believe that weed enhances the sound of music, there is something wrong. Weed does nothing of the sort. The interplay of instruments, harmony, and rhythm is something that is best enjoyed sober.

That being said, Xanadu is about weed.

Excuse me, but have you ever smoked weed? I have, and let me tell you, it absolutely does make music sound better.

Actually, yes I have. That was what I meant by personally being over it. I should have been more clear. If you need weed to make music sound better then that is sad. I stand corrected on the Xanadu reference.

yes.gif

Personally I feel it is sad as well.

Same here.

QUOTE (test4eggroll @ Jul 23 2010, 08:12 AM)
I believe it opens up parts of our brain that we usually dont use.

Impossible, because there are no parts of our brains we don't use.

I know you and many others THINK that we don't use our full brains, because that's what you've heard in some places and it's been drilled into your heads, but that's an urban legend which has then been perpetuated by New Age Gurus. ("Try my program and you'll use your FULL brain potential!" or "We only use 10 percent of our brains; imagine if we used it all - we might have psychic abilities, etc.!")

Every part of our brains gets used at some point in our thinking/functioning. We may not use the FULL BRAIN all at once at any one time, but every part is used some of the time. Read this:

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 23 2010, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:15 PM)

Well, there's always a foolhardy first person in any situation. There's that old comedy standby -

Hey, who was the first person that ever looked at a cow and said, "You see those dangly things under that cow? I'm going to squeeze them. And then if something comes out, I'll drink it."

laugh.gif

I wonder about the first person to jump out of a plane in parachute.

I see no direct correlation between smoking pot and RUSH.

I do see a connection between drugs and live rock concerts.

I saw the Moving Pictures Tour on Mushrooms, Whiskey, Cocaine, Hash and Pot. It was positively enhanced. And I still have vivid memories.

I do not do drugs or smoke pot anymore but enjoy smelling it at the shows.

Going to a live music performance is a special event and I can understand trying to enhance the experience with a couple extra beers or getting high.

These days I prefer to see the shows sober, which is an enhancement all it's own.