204 replies to this topic

#41 shaun3701

shaun3701

The Professor

• Members
  • 3375 posts
  • Interests:some unknown Canadian band

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:54 AM

I've noticed stoners will often think EVERYONE gets high. I remember in high school, I'd get approached and asked for weed all the time. Funny thing is, I never smoked weed in my life until I was in my 20s. So at that time I had never touched the stuff. I guess I looked like a stoner for some reason.

Sponsored Post

#42 test4eggroll

test4eggroll

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

Ive been to RUSH concerts sober and stoned and i can honestly say its much more enjoyable while stoned.  the music does sound much better.  i find that the best time to get high at a rush concert is during spirit of the radio.  everyone has their arms in the air and thats the time to light up without security seeing you.

#43 Silas Lang

Silas Lang

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2968 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 21 2010, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 21 2010, 03:28 PM)
Weed makes the music sound a lot better. That's the main reason people smoke at concerts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for legalization and privatization of weed. I, myself, am over it. This statement, however, is something that I have to contest. If you sincerely believe that weed enhances the sound of music, there is something wrong. Weed does nothing of the sort. The interplay of instruments, harmony, and rhythm is something that is best enjoyed sober.

That being said, Xanadu is about weed.

Excuse me, but have you ever smoked weed? I have, and let me tell you, it absolutely does make music sound better.

At the very least it can give you a different perspective.

#44 Silas Lang

Silas Lang

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2968 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 22 2010, 12:48 AM)
We've been down this road several times before and a general pattern emerges:

People who get high believe Rush, their heroes, also do.  People who don't get high believe they don't.  We all create Ged in our own image.

rofl3.gif  applaudit.gif  

#45 amish_ashaman

amish_ashaman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:17 AM

The most weed I've ever seen at one time was at a Bob Dylan show. When he played Rainy Day Women the whole place went up in smoke.

#46 Gompers

Gompers

10,000 posts, and I got nothin'

• Members *
  • 17108 posts
  • Interests:Jaywalking. Not smoking meth. Selling my air guitars on eBay. Cooking Chinese and Italians. Giving blood so I can get drunk faster. Being a stickler for detale.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:16 PM)
HAHA I saw Tom Petty 6 days ago in Cincinnati and there was more weed there than any other show I've been to! That said, I love toking up and listening to a little Hemispheres every once in a while. And I'm thinking about making some brownies for the August 29th show in Columbus. I won't have to worry about taking illegal substances in to the show that way and I'll be good for like 6 hours!

cool10.gif +   2.gif =  653.gif

I've seem Tom Petty talking in interviews. This doesn't surprise me.  

#47 micgtr71

micgtr71

Axe Slinger

• Members
  • 5017 posts
  • Interests:Teaching guitar lessons, writing, drinking quality beers.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:57 AM

Weed makes the music sound a lot better. That's the main reason people smoke at concerts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for legalization and privatization of weed. I, myself, am over it. This statement, however, is something that I have to contest. If you sincerely believe that weed enhances the sound of music, there is something wrong. Weed does nothing of the sort. The interplay of instruments, harmony, and rhythm is something that is best enjoyed sober.

Excuse me, but have you ever smoked weed? I have, and let me tell you, it absolutely does make music sound better.

Actually, yes I have. That was what I meant by personally being over it. I should have been more clear. If you need weed to make music sound better then that is sad. I stand corrected on the Xanadu reference.

#48 Gompers

Gompers

10,000 posts, and I got nothin'

• Members *
  • 17108 posts
  • Interests:Jaywalking. Not smoking meth. Selling my air guitars on eBay. Cooking Chinese and Italians. Giving blood so I can get drunk faster. Being a stickler for detale.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 22 2010, 05:57 AM)

Actually, yes I have. That was what I meant by personally being over it. I should have been more clear. If you need weed to make music sound better then that is sad. I stand corrected on the Xanadu reference.

yes.gif
Personally I feel it is sad as well.  

#49 Tick

Tick

Mr: 26,000!!!

• Members *
  • 26346 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

I quit smoking pot in 1998, but I in my early Rush days(daze) I enjoyed the enhancement it gave me. I just had enough by the late 90's and said bye bye to smoking weed.

Edited by tick, 22 July 2010 - 08:14 AM.

#50 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jul 22 2010, 03:17 AM)
The most weed I've ever seen at one time was at a Bob Dylan show. When he played Rainy Day Women the whole place went up in smoke.

I'd have to be high as a kite - on that fine line between barely alert and comatose -  to get through two hours of Dylan.    

#51 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7034 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

Ever see the back of a twenty dollar bill..on WEED?!!

user posted image

I don't need pot to enjoy music, but it definitely enhances it for me.

#52 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

The Grammar Police

• Members *
  • 17345 posts
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, TV and movies, Health and fitness, writing, reading, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 22 2010, 04:57 AM)

As for anyone who thinks it enhances the creative process and that musicians who toke make better music, I've got two words that prove this theory wrong:  Jimmy Buffett.   new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

laugh.gif  

#53 bigalfan

bigalfan

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1312 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Apologetics, Hiking, Guitar, Bicycling (road), Music, Hangin' out with my wife

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 22 2010, 08:13 AM)
I quit smoking pot in 1998, but I in my early Rush days(daze) I enjoyed the enhancement it gave me. I just had enough by the late 90's and said bye bye to smoking weed.

Good for you! I used to smoke A LOT in Jr. High (many moons ago) but finally got to the point where the paranoia factor was just too much for me. Since then I've had it a couple times over the years and each of those times, afterwards, I wish I hadn't. The problem with it for me, outside of it being illegal, is I can have 2-3 beers or a couple of drinks and have a nice 'buzz' if I want. I can't smoke pot and have a 'buzz'. If I smoke it.....I'm WASTED! Doesn't matter if it's a little or a lot....I'm WASTED! It's in control of me! The  2.gif es (falling feeling), the way it takes over your thinking processes, the paranoia ...all that adds up to a feeling I don't like.

Much rather this  trink38.gif  - over this  cool10.gif  

#54 bigalfan

bigalfan

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1312 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Apologetics, Hiking, Guitar, Bicycling (road), Music, Hangin' out with my wife

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 22 2010, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jul 22 2010, 03:17 AM)

I'd have to be high as a kite - on that fine line between barely alert and comatose -  to get through two hours of Dylan.

trink39.gif I'm with you on that one! I have a good deal of respect for the man, but a little Bob Dylan, like cilantro, goes a long way for me.

#55 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

The Grammar Police

• Members *
  • 17345 posts
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, TV and movies, Health and fitness, writing, reading, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jul 22 2010, 09:03 AM)

Good for you! I used to smoke A LOT in Jr. High (many moons ago) but finally got to the point where the paranoia factor was just too much for me. Since then I've had it a couple times over the years and each of those times, afterwards, I wish I hadn't. The problem with it for me, outside of it being illegal, is I can have 2-3 beers or a couple of drinks and have a nice 'buzz' if I want. I can't smoke pot and have a 'buzz'. If I smoke it.....I'm WASTED! Doesn't matter if it's a little or a lot....I'm WASTED! It's in control of me! The  2.gif es (falling feeling), the way it takes over your thinking processes, the paranoia ...all that adds up to a feeling I don't like.

This couldve been written by me; its my experience, too.

I was a wastoid my junior year of high school; I got high every day before and after school, during lunch period, etc.  And the weekends?  Forget it!  It was my goal to experience EVERYTHING through the altered perception of marijuana.  But then I started having panic attacks.  Ive tried it a handful of times since then, but immediately after getting high I want to come down; its just not a fun feeling to be that paranoid.  I get thinking too much, looking for how things relate to each other, looking for connections between one thing and another, then start thinking about thinking, then thinking about how Im thinking too much, and all the while afraid people are talking about me behind my back and that Im going to die or something.  I also get religious/God thoughts that freak me out, and I begin to think Im going insane.  If thats how other people react to the stuff and thats fun for them, more power to them.  To me its not fun at all.  Why do it if the entire time Im thinking I want to come down.  I want to come down?

#56 cygnus_thegodofbalance

cygnus_thegodofbalance

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

Tell me about it. Last time I smoked, I became so paranoid that I was going to have a heart attack and came THIS CLOSE to calling an ambulance. And no, I'm not joking.

#57 bigalfan

bigalfan

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1312 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 22 2010, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jul 22 2010, 09:03 AM)

This couldve been written by me; its my experience, too.

I was a wastoid my junior year of high school; I got high every day before and after school, during lunch period, etc.  And the weekends?  Forget it!  It was my goal to experience EVERYTHING through the altered perception of marijuana.  But then I started having panic attacks.  Ive tried it a handful of times since then, but immediately after getting high I want to come down; its just not a fun feeling to be that paranoid.  I get thinking too much, looking for how things relate to each other, looking for connections between one thing and another, then start thinking about thinking, then thinking about how Im thinking too much, and all the while afraid people are talking about me behind my back and that Im going to die or something.  I also get religious/God thoughts that freak me out, and I begin to think Im going insane.  If thats how other people react to the stuff and thats fun for them, more power to them.  To me its not fun at all.  Why do it if the entire time Im thinking I want to come down.  I want to come down?

trink39.gif Right there with ya! "Wonder what the hell he/she meant by that comment?" That one ever pop into your head when stoned? Or maybe I should ask, how often did that pop into your head?

#58 ghostworks

ghostworks

The God Of Pants

• Members
  • 13918 posts
  • Interests:sʇsǝɹǝʇuI

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

contrary to popular belief, pot does not 'enhance' anyone's experience when listening to music (or anything else)

what it does do is alter your perception of the experience

and yeah, I 'get' that if that altered perception seems like a personal upgrade over listening to music sober, then you'll likely refer to the experience as 'better'

semantics aside, what you're actually experiencing is a profound decrease in cognitive function - in other words, you're 'dumbing' your brain down so that it's more easily impressed

examples:

> Kool-Aid is suddenly 'the best fcking thing you EVER drank!'

> Al Franken is 'the funniest comedian in the world'

> Celine Dion is 'so SMOKING hot, dude - I never realized it'

> the solo in 'The Pass' is 'absolutely hands down the best guitar solo ever - in fact, dude, listen...sssssh!! listen... dude, no - it's even the best guitar TONE in the world ever!'

^ if you've been high, you've been there

there's nothing wrong, per se, with getting 'stupid' to enjoy things more, but it's a merely chemical trick

nothing more

#59 bigalfan

bigalfan

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1312 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 22 2010, 09:33 AM)
contrary to popular belief, pot does not 'enhance' anyone's experience when listening to music (or anything else)

what it does do is alter your perception of the experience

and yeah, I 'get' that if that altered perception seems like a personal upgrade over listening to music sober, then you'll likely refer to the experience as 'better'

semantics aside, what you're actually experiencing is a profound decrease in cognitive function - in other words, you're 'dumbing' your brain down so that it's more easily impressed

examples:

> Kool-Aid is suddenly 'the best fcking thing you EVER drank!'

> Al Franken is 'the funniest comedian in the world'

> Celine Dion is 'so SMOKING hot, dude - I never realized it'

> the solo in 'The Pass' is 'absolutely hands down the best guitar solo ever - in fact, dude, listen...sssssh!! listen... dude, no - it's even the best guitar TONE in the world ever!'

^ if you've been high, you've been there

there's nothing wrong, per se, with getting 'stupid' to enjoy things more, but it's a merely chemical trick

nothing more

Case in point, I'll never forget hearing "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John and Kiki Dee (sp?) when I was stoned at some point in the late 70's and thinking, "This song is phenomenal!"

Reality check after the "STONED" wore off.....uuuhhhhhh, no.....this sucks!  

#60 test4eggroll

test4eggroll

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

Lets ask the question:  Best RUSH songs to listen to while high?

Top 15 in no particular order:

Passage to Bangkok
The Necromancer
Xanadu
Bravado (Alex's solo Live)
cygnus X-1
Natural Science
Red Barchetta
Losing It
YYZ (the only rush song you can actually dance to)
Grand Designs
Time and Motion (Live)
Stick It Out (The video is trippy)
No One at the Bridge
I Think Im Going Bald
Lakeside Park

Edited by test4eggroll, 22 July 2010 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users