204 replies to this topic

#21 shaun3701

shaun3701

The Professor

• Members
  • 3375 posts
  • Interests:some unknown Canadian band

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 21 2010, 06:10 PM)
Oh, I'd bet just about anything that all three of them still get high.

They're musicians. It's like PB&J.

yeah, Geddy lights up before driving his daughter to school every day, and Neil puffs in between diaper changes. Seriously though, Alex is the only one I could see still doing it these days.

Sponsored Post

#22 Tigershark2112

Tigershark2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

HAHA I saw Tom Petty 6 days ago in Cincinnati and there was more weed there than any other show I've been to! That said, I love toking up and listening to a little Hemispheres every once in a while. And I'm thinking about making some brownies for the August 29th show in Columbus. I won't have to worry about taking illegal substances in to the show that way and I'll be good for like 6 hours!

cool10.gif +   2.gif =  653.gif  

#23 moedrabowsky

moedrabowsky

The Seeker

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 21 2010, 06:13 PM)

yeah, Geddy lights up before driving his daughter to school every day, and Neil puffs in between diaper changes. Seriously though, Alex is the only one I could see still doing it these days.

Oh, there are about 35 million everyday pot users in North America, so it's not really that far fetched.

Isn't Neil's best friend a pot dealer?

I'm sure when they get together to make music, they're enjoying the herb.

#24 moedrabowsky

moedrabowsky

The Seeker

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

Petty's another guy who still partakes.

I'm guessing the number of musicians who no longer smoke is much lower than the number who still do.

#25 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 21 2010, 06:13 PM)

I would imagine They all still smoke...though not when they're performing.

Seriously dude, watch the "making of" video for Snakes and Arrows. There's a part when they're all walking around in the woods, and I'd bet my Rush ticket they're all pretty irie....especially Neil..he looked hilarious...anyone have any pics of that??

#26 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

A good buddy of mine hooked Alex up in Cali 2 years back with a huge bag of kind.

No shit.

Alex for sure is a pot head till.

And as far as the subject. I toke and enjoy it. And it goes well with Rush no doubt.

Edited by Todem, 21 July 2010 - 07:00 PM.

#27 moedrabowsky

moedrabowsky

The Seeker

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 21 2010, 06:59 PM)

A good buddy of mine hooked Alex up in Cali 2 years back with a huge bag of kind.

No shit.

And as far as the subject. I toke and enjoy it. And it goes well with Rush no doubt.

That's awesome!

And yes, I partake.

#28 The Big Money

The Big Money

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3284 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Jul 21 2010, 05:47 PM)
I will not take anything in to the show don't want to get drug out by cops, yet they let people get drunk and fall down. That is f*ked up. But that is the way it is.

I remember at an allman brothers concert a couple years ago some guy was passed out in the bathroom because he had a few to many. laugh.gif

#29 WCFIELDS

WCFIELDS

I'd rather be in Philadelphia

• Members *
  • 8740 posts
  • Interests:Computers<br>Music<br>Work<br>

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 21 2010, 05:59 PM)

No shit.

not surprising......Ged and Neil most likely smoke too.....

#30 micgtr71

micgtr71

Axe Slinger

• Members
  • 5017 posts
  • Interests:Teaching guitar lessons, writing, drinking quality beers.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 21 2010, 03:28 PM)
Weed makes the music sound a lot better. That's the main reason people smoke at concerts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for legalization and privatization of weed. I, myself, am over it. This statement, however, is something that I have to contest. If you sincerely believe that weed enhances the sound of music, there is something wrong. Weed does nothing of the sort. The interplay of instruments, harmony, and rhythm is something that is best enjoyed sober.

That being said, Xanadu is about weed.  

#31 shaun3701

shaun3701

The Professor

• Members
  • 3375 posts
  • Interests:some unknown Canadian band

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:47 PM)
Weed makes the music sound a lot better. That's the main reason people smoke at concerts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for legalization and privatization of weed. I, myself, am over it. This statement, however, is something that I have to contest. If you sincerely believe that weed enhances the sound of music, there is something wrong. Weed does nothing of the sort. The interplay of instruments, harmony, and rhythm is something that is best enjoyed sober.

actually Xanadu (the original poem) was written after an opium trip. So it's actually about opium.

#32 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 99230 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 21 2010, 04:19 PM)

I'm sure when they get together to make music, they're enjoying the herb.

If you rewind 20 or 30 years.

#33 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 21 2010, 08:47 PM)

Technically, if you refer back to the Coleridge poem that Neil used as inspiration for Xanadu, it was inspired by opium.  wink.gif  

No, I don't think weed "enhances" any experience except that of . . .being high. (I don't smoke it myself, though I did several times while still in college.  Makes me too sleepy. I fully support legalization, though).   I personally like a clear head when attending a Rush show, which is why I don't drink at shows either (that and the fact that you practically have to take out a second mortgage to afford a beer).  

I agree the OP is over-generalizing.  People who smoke at Rush shows likely partake of the cannabis during other leisure pursuits as well.  

#34 cygnus_thegodofbalance

cygnus_thegodofbalance

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:47 PM)

Excuse me, but have you ever smoked weed? I have, and let me tell you, it absolutely does make music sound better.  

#35 Tigershark2112

Tigershark2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

I respectfully disagree. Weed enhances not only music, but almost everything else in life too. No, I'm not saying I MUST have it to enjoy music, I don't think anyone is saying that. I mean, I got into Rush before I ever decided to start smoking. What I am saying though, is that it frees up my mind to allow my imagination wander, and that is definitely a good thing while listening to a band like Rush. Especially their older stuff, there's so much imagery there and meaning that I probably wouldn't have recognized as easily if I hadn't been feeling so awesome at the time. Also, the light shows kick ass when you're high!  1022.gif  

#36 cygnus_thegodofbalance

cygnus_thegodofbalance

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 09:16 PM)
I respectfully disagree. Weed enhances not only music, but almost everything else in life too. No, I'm not saying I MUST have it to enjoy music, I don't think anyone is saying that. I mean, I got into Rush before I ever decided to start smoking. What I am saying though, is that it frees up my mind to allow my imagination wander, and that is definitely a good thing while listening to a band like Rush. Especially their older stuff, there's so much imagery there and meaning that I probably wouldn't have recognized as easily if I hadn't been feeling so awesome at the time. Also, the light shows kick ass when you're high!  1022.gif

I definitely agree. I was watching Snakes & Arrows Live while I was stoned a few months ago, and the ending of Digital Man just blew me away. I never felt that way towards it before.

#37 Tigershark2112

Tigershark2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

Oh man I hope you have that Snakes & Arrows on blu ray! It's so awesome when you spend a night smoking and watching that or R30 in hi-def!  trink39.gif  

#38 cygnus_thegodofbalance

cygnus_thegodofbalance

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 09:23 PM)
Oh man I hope you have that Snakes & Arrows on blu ray! It's so awesome when you spend a night smoking and watching that or R30 in hi-def!  trink39.gif

Yep! Blu ray indeed  653.gif  

#39 Joshua

Joshua

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1246 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

Geddy Lee isn't smoking anything.

#40 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

The Grammar Police

• Members *
  • 17345 posts
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, TV and movies, Health and fitness, writing, reading, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:48 AM

We've been down this road several times before and a general pattern emerges:

People who get high believe Rush, their heroes, also do.  People who don't get high believe they don't.  We all create Ged in our own image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users