Let's Face It ... The First Set Sucks

I came to work today in a good mood.played really well last night,in softball.it's a payweek,for me too.and i'm paying off my,Rush sept 2nd.ticket.around 80.00.I have two toddlers,at home and a wife to support.I go to maybe two concerts a year,if that...Thanks for completely bumming me out.I Do have this little bottle of booze here,in my desk drawer.i hope i don't...start...too late.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I somewhat agree. But I still loved the show! But more importantly, what are you guys doing on the tour section of a Rush forum in a thread entitled the first set sucks if you don't want spoilers. Seriously if you are so interested in not knowing anything, the best thing would be to avoid these Rush discussions. The whole spoiler thing makes me laugh.

QUOTE (InvisibleAirwaves13 @ Jul 20 2010, 07:45 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer23 @ Jul 20 2010, 03:14 AM)
Saw both Toronto shows.  Was really drunk for the Amphitheatre Show, but really wondered why the next day I couldn't remember anything for the show except Time Stand Still.  I was more sober for the 2nd show but I realized then why I didn't remember most of the first show - the first set is totally forgettable. 

This was my 8th tour and (aside from the Moving Pictures set) for me this was the only tour where a large portion of the show's set list was quite noticeably sub par.   

Let's review:

- The Spirit of Radio - with concerts, I love surprises.  I don't want to know anything about a concert before I go to it!  I love the thrill of hearing a totally unexpected old classic and then getting right into the groove (Digital Man was like that for me on the last tour). 

Spirit Of Radio is such an obvious, hackneyed opener.  Playing this first is totally blowing your wad in the first 30 seconds.  It's opened their shows before, and there was no surprise at all here, considering that unfunny, overlong intro film alluded to it so heavily. 

(BTW: best concert intro ever - the Thus Spake Zarathustra 2001-ish intro on the Counterparts tour.  Spectacular start to a show for a great album!)

- Time Stand Still - aRgH!  Hold Your Fire would be an unblemished masterpiece were it not for this turkey and Mission, yet we've had to endure BOTH songs on the past 2 tours.  Whereas total masterpieces from HYF like Second Nature and High Water have NEVER been played live EVER!

- Presto - the one shining star in the pre-intermission first set.  Although I wish Alex had been swapping between the Ovation acoustic and the electric guitar as he did in Closer To The Heart during ASOH instead of playing faux acoustic on his electric.  I think it would have sounded quite a bit better.

Stick It Out - I know where they should stick this one...

Workin' Them Angels - of all the songs you could play ... on a retrospective tour ... and they chose THIS?????  This song just plain sucks.  Can anyone tell really tell me they're still listening to S&A with any regularity since it came out??

Leave That Thing Alone - I wish they HAD left it alone.  For me, the least interesting Rush instrumental ever.

Faithless - exactly how I was feeling at this point in the show

BU2B - not bad - but again .... of all the songs you COULD play .... ???????

Freewill - way too overplayed on too many tours (plus overplayed on the radio)!

Marathon - very nice to hear again - but what about all these other gems from PW very few of us have ever heard live?  Such as Grand Designs or Middletown Dreams ... if they had done Emotion Detector I would have gone into orbit!

Subdivisions - way too overplayed on too many tours!

The thing that really disappointed me about this show was how many albums were not represented at all in the entire show, and yet this is a "Time Machine tour" where we're hearing 3 songs from S&A and 2 new singles!  That's a full 20% of the entire concert from the 2 newest studio albums of 20 studio albums total!

Yet ZERO songs from GUP, TFE or RTB, only tired old Subdivisions from Signals, and only tired old Closer To the Heart from AFTK (even the band said they stopped playing it because they got "sick of it"),

We can all argue endlessly about what they should or shouldn't play, and to each his own, but I think I can say one thing for sure: not much imagination went into the song choices.  There are SO many songs little or never played live from all previous albums, most any of which would have (if nothing else) piqued my interest for being novel due to being played and heard live for the first time.  That's the sort of thing that's sustained my interest at Rush shows over the years - Circumstances did that especially on the last tour.  To me, that's a real trip down memory lane - THAT is a time machine.

PS What happened to Jacob's Ladder?  Was really looking forward to that one!

I hear Justin Beiber is looking for new fans...might want to jump on over to his wagon...that kid rocks! (note sarcastic tone)... Get over it people and be thankful we are still getting to see the boys live. The setlist is fine.

1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Saw both Toronto shows. Was really drunk for the Amphitheatre Show, but really wondered why the next day I couldn't remember anything for the show except Time Stand Still. I was more sober for the 2nd show but I realized then why I didn't remember most of the first show - the first set is totally forgettable.

This was my 8th tour and (aside from the Moving Pictures set) for me this was the only tour where a large portion of the show's set list was quite noticeably sub par.

Let's review:

- The Spirit of Radio - with concerts, I love surprises. I don't want to know anything about a concert before I go to it! I love the thrill of hearing a totally unexpected old classic and then getting right into the groove (Digital Man was like that for me on the last tour).

Spirit Of Radio is such an obvious, hackneyed opener. Playing this first is totally blowing your wad in the first 30 seconds. It's opened their shows before, and there was no surprise at all here, considering that unfunny, overlong intro film alluded to it so heavily.

(BTW: best concert intro ever - the Thus Spake Zarathustra 2001-ish intro on the Counterparts tour. Spectacular start to a show for a great album!)

- Time Stand Still - aRgH! Hold Your Fire would be an unblemished masterpiece were it not for this turkey and Mission, yet we've had to endure BOTH songs on the past 2 tours. Whereas total masterpieces from HYF like Second Nature and High Water have NEVER been played live EVER!

- Presto - the one shining star in the pre-intermission first set. Although I wish Alex had been swapping between the Ovation acoustic and the electric guitar as he did in Closer To The Heart during ASOH instead of playing faux acoustic on his electric. I think it would have sounded quite a bit better.

Workin' Them Angels - of all the songs you could play ... on a retrospective tour ... and they chose THIS????? This song just plain sucks. Can anyone tell really tell me they're still listening to S&A with any regularity since it came out??

Leave That Thing Alone - I wish they HAD left it alone. For me, the least interesting Rush instrumental ever.

Marathon - very nice to hear again - but what about all these other gems from PW very few of us have ever heard live? Such as Grand Designs or Middletown Dreams ... if they had done Emotion Detector I would have gone into orbit!

The thing that really disappointed me about this show was how many albums were not represented at all in the entire show, and yet this is a "Time Machine tour" where we're hearing 3 songs from S&A and 2 new singles! That's a full 20% of the entire concert from the 2 newest studio albums of 20 studio albums total!

Yet ZERO songs from GUP, TFE or RTB, only tired old Subdivisions from Signals, and only tired old Closer To the Heart from AFTK (even the band said they stopped playing it because they got "sick of it"),

We can all argue endlessly about what they should or shouldn't play, and to each his own, but I think I can say one thing for sure: not much imagination went into the song choices. There are SO many songs little or never played live from all previous albums, most any of which would have (if nothing else) piqued my interest for being novel due to being played and heard live for the first time. That's the sort of thing that's sustained my interest at Rush shows over the years - Circumstances did that especially on the last tour. To me, that's a real trip down memory lane - THAT is a time machine.

PS What happened to Jacob's Ladder? Was really looking forward to that one!

this guy needs an enema or something. i wonder if he went to the show by himself. i pitty the fool who went with this Dbag.

yeah, besides BU2B- all those other new songs they could have played...

I loved both sets and I am so thankful that Rush is still playing 3 hour shows. They never cheat there fans of the money they spend. Never an opening act, and always two full sets of music. Not to mention how cool it is they are still a working band in 2010, when they could have retired already.

But hey, why not forget all that and just whine and complain like a baby, because we all love that. atickhum.gif

Lets recap...

2 full sets

3 hours of music in total

and still giving their fans the opportunity to see the best band on the planet after over 35 years. but why not just complain about it? After all, they ripped you off big time!

Why did you even waste your money on tickets if this is how you feel about them, or were you drunk when you bought them? atickhum.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 20 2010, 08:13 AM)
cool10.gif

Boy oh boy...where to begin with this mess of a post!?

I'm all for one's opinion, but wow...you are clearly off your rocker (and I mean that in the most respectful way).

You bash practically every song in the first set...including questioning why BU2B was played. Hello...this is new material. It was a well-known fact that they would play it, and it kicked ass BTW.

Also, who gives a shit how many times Freewill is played?! It kicks f'n ass every time, and was easily the highlight for me yet again. I could hear that bridge over and over and it wouldn't bother me one bit. It is a flawless song.

I'm sorry, but overall, this set was great. A nice mix...it felt fresh and new, and it felt like a nice change of pace from previous sets.

Now...don't get me wrong. I do agree with some of your points regarding them playing some gems (like Emotion Detector), as well as missing some classic albums (like GUP and CoS). You are absolutely right there...but unfortunately with only 3 hours, and especially when playing MP in full, it is tough to find time to fit everything in.

I don't think it's a complete "mess of a post". I think his opinion matches many folks concerns. I think the first set is weaker than many of the last tours and is based (here we go again!) on NP's insatiable desire to get his anti-religion songs in the show. The Time Machine concept has SO much potential to bring out better older material IMO, but as many have mentioned, I feel fortunate to be seeing them live again!!!!.

Of course it is stupid not to expect BU2B to be played, and while not my fav....you know it's coming and is NP's crowning achievement in slamming religion.

RE: S&A, I think it is an awesome recording and have listened extensively to it and VT. I gave them both a fresh listen (studio versions) recently and was blown away at the overall production / sound. I recognize there were some reproduction issues in VT, but these recording are great in my opinion.

Finally, before I leave the religion slamming, while I disagree with NP's overall beliefs, and am personally a believer in Christ, I do agree that religion deserves to be slammed to some extent. ("The S&A a child is heir to are enough to leave a 1,000 cuts"...is a VERY TRUE comment!!!) What people see on TV and experience from belligerent zealots is not what most of us (believers) profess. Deciding not to believe because of people like this is like deciding not to listen to music because of "fake" bands like [insert band name]. beathorse.gif sorry

Yeah, um, you could have always looked up the setlist online and decided not to go like a few people on here have done.

Also, umad

,Saw both Toronto shows. Was really drunk for the Amphitheatre Show, but really wondered why the next day I couldn't remember anything for the show except Time Stand Still. I was more sober for the 2nd show but I realized then why I didn't remember most of the first show - the first set is totally forgettable.

Let's review:

- The Spirit of Radio - with concerts, I love surprises. I don't want to know anything about a concert before I go to it! I love the thrill of hearing a totally unexpected old classic and then getting right into the groove (Digital Man was like that for me on the last tour).

Spirit Of Radio is such an obvious, hackneyed opener. Playing this first is totally blowing your wad in the first 30 seconds. It's opened their shows before, and there was no surprise at all here, considering that unfunny, overlong intro film alluded to it so heavily.

(BTW: best concert intro ever - the Thus Spake Zarathustra 2001-ish intro on the Counterparts tour. Spectacular start to a show for a great album!)

- Time Stand Still - aRgH! Hold Your Fire would be an unblemished masterpiece were it not for this turkey and Mission, yet we've had to endure BOTH songs on the past 2 tours. Whereas total masterpieces from HYF like Second Nature and High Water have NEVER been played live EVER!

- Presto - the one shining star in the pre-intermission first set. Although I wish Alex had been swapping between the Ovation acoustic and the electric guitar as he did in Closer To The Heart during ASOH instead of playing faux acoustic on his electric. I think it would have sounded quite a bit better.

Workin' Them Angels - of all the songs you could play ... on a retrospective tour ... and they chose THIS????? This song just plain sucks. Can anyone tell really tell me they're still listening to S&A with any regularity since it came out??

Leave That Thing Alone - I wish they HAD left it alone. For me, the least interesting Rush instrumental ever.

Marathon - very nice to hear again - but what about all these other gems from PW very few of us have ever heard live? Such as Grand Designs or Middletown Dreams ... if they had done Emotion Detector I would have gone into orbit!

The thing that really disappointed me about this show was how many albums were not represented at all in the entire show, and yet this is a "Time Machine tour" where we're hearing 3 songs from S&A and 2 new singles! That's a full 20% of the entire concert from the 2 newest studio albums of 20 studio albums total!

We can all argue endlessly about what they should or shouldn't play, and to each his own, but I think I can say one thing for sure: not much imagination went into the song choices. There are SO many songs little or never played live from all previous albums, most any of which would have (if nothing else) piqued my interest for being novel due to being played and heard live for the first time. That's the sort of thing that's sustained my interest at Rush shows over the years - Circumstances did that especially on the last tour. To me, that's a real trip down memory lane - THAT is a time machine.

Going to have to agree 100% except for the Subdivisions and Freewill comments. So not really 100% but dang close.

Who do they think they are thrilling with these choices? Casual fans have never heard of them. (70% of people at the show) Are hardcores like us really going to be excited with LTTA, Stick It and WTA or anything else off Snakes which sold about 100,000 copies? Its hard to figure what they are thinking. If you're going to bore the casual fans anyway, at least pick some obscure stuff that would give the hardcores a chubby.

QUOTE (Digital Snowdog @ Jul 20 2010, 09:39 AM)
I think the first set is weaker than many of the last tours and is based (here we go again!) on NP's insatiable desire to get his anti-religion songs in the show.

All both of them, you mean? He's written two overtly anti-religion songs in nearly 40 years... for someone with an "insatiable desire", he's sure doing a poor job of feeding it. Two songs totaling what, 10, 11 minutes out of a 3 hour show?

Go hit up a Jars of Clay or Creed show for a dose of christian rock.

QUOTE (growingbald @ Jul 20 2010, 07:37 AM)
I guess you should just stay home next time and get drunk on cheaper beer. Save your seat for someone that will enjoy the show.

I don't get the people who b**ch about the set list, then spend their money and still go to the show. Suppose you hate spinach, but you know a restaurant is serving spinach but you still go to the restaurant and b**ch about the spinach. wacko.gif

In my case its a little bit of loyality to a band that has been like family to me over the years. I bitch about my sister alot, but I still love her.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jul 20 2010, 10:34 AM)
To spend that kind of money on two shows and be drunk out of your mind, goes far beyond the scope of "just not liking the setlist".

"I spent $300 on tickets, $50 on merch and $200 on beers to get hammered out of my mind so I won't remember anything about the show... but the setlist sure did ruin my night!!!"

You know, if you're not going to remember it anyway, why not save some money and just ask someone to bash you in the head with a bat? You won't remember a thing, guaranteed.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 20 2010, 11:33 AM)
Are hardcores like us really going to be excited with LTTA, Stick It and WTA or anything else off Snakes which sold about 100,000 copies?

Um... Wow. I'm a hardcore fan and liked the what they gave in the first set. sarcasm.gif That doesn't make me any of a less "hardcore fan" I don't think. I think it shows you're more of a fan of a band if you can either...

1) Not like the songs but deal with it because it's whatever band it is - in this case RUSH - and not whine and bitch about it because it isn't customized for you and your wants.

2) Actually enjoy the songs like most fans of a certain band do.

fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

Saw both Toronto shows. Was really drunk for the Amphitheatre Show, but really wondered why the next day I couldn't remember anything for the show except Time Stand Still.

Please stop this complianing crap angry.gif

In a couple of years when they stop touring then you can be dissapointed.

I like both sets. The only one I could do without is Faithless. I like the song but can see how it could be a downer live like the reviews are saying. Friday will be my seventh time seeing Rush and i'll be hearing TSS, Presto, Faithless, BU2B, Marathon, TCE and Caravan all for the first time live. Granted BU2B, Caravan, Presto and Faithless are all being played for the first time this tour but that's still seven very good songs I haven't heard them do before.

Also, a message to the original poster. The setlists for concerts are free to look up on numerous sources online now. You've gotta take advantage of what's available to you today. I know you might like to be surprised but knowing what the band is playing before you go to see them does prevent a lot of disappointment. That way you don't get yourself all pumped up to hear something and then they don't do it. I've found i'm a lot more satisfied seeing a band live when I know what's being played. It just prevents you from getting as mad at the songs they select if you did that. It's not just for Rush but for any band you may go to see live.

QUOTE (Digital Snowdog @ Jul 20 2010, 10:39 AM)
Of course it is stupid not to expect BU2B to be played, and while not my fav....you know it's coming and is NP's crowning achievement in slamming religion.

eyesre4.gif Talk about missing the point; that's not what the song is about...at all.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 20 2010, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Snowdog @ Jul 20 2010, 10:39 AM)

eyesre4.gif Talk about missing the point; that's not what the song is about...at all.

rofl3.gif Really? Please tell us what BU2B is all about then.