Let's Face It ... The First Set Sucks

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna venture a guess and say you were drunk when you wrote this topic, huh? Wow...drunk for a Rush show how mid-1980's wacko.gif

I'm on the bandwagon with "I'm just happy they're touring!" applaudit.gif

I look at it this way...they can play the exact same setlist every tour until they retire and I'll be happy to go see them! Thankfully they change it up every time, and you get a good cross section of their entire body of work! 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 21 2010, 01:52 PM)
Trolls do liven things up eh?

Anyhow, we can all bitch about what we do or don't want the band to play, but its useless. Either go or don't go, but if you do go TWICE, your a moron if you think half the show sucks. What a waste. I will continue to repeat... at least Rush is still going strong and not retired.
and with 3 hours of music, even if you hate half of it, you still get an hour and a half of stuff you love.
atickhum.gif

you're exactly right. either go or don't go. maybe i overreached in my mind as to what they might play and with some different ways they could have went with the setlist, but i just feel like i've had my fill with the same tunes they play over and over. i forgot what neil said about when they were thinking about how they might do the next album. something like they felt very content or liberated with the way they did albums in the past etc....

well, i feel the same way about the same ole' same ole' with the setlist and not utilizing the vast collection they have. a part of it is they have to feel comfortable with what they are playing but a big part of it is also to put the fannies in the seats. it's a combination.

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 21 2010, 03:30 PM)

Anyhow, we can all bitch about what we do or don't want the band to play, but its useless. Either go or don't go, but if you do go TWICE, your a moron if you think half the show sucks. What a waste. I will continue to repeat... at least Rush is still going strong and not retired.
and with 3 hours of music, even if you hate half of it, you still get an hour and a half of stuff you love.
atickhum.gif

you're exactly right. either go or don't go. maybe i overreached in my mind as to what they might play and with some different ways they could have went with the setlist, but i just feel like i've had my fill with the same tunes they play over and over. i forgot what neil said about when they were thinking about how they might do the next album. something like they felt very content or liberated with the way they did albums in the past etc....

well, i feel the same way about the same ole' same ole' with the setlist and not utilizing the vast collection they have. a part of it is they have to feel comfortable with what they are playing but a big part of it is also to put the fannies in the seats. it's a combination.

I think a lot of us fail to remember that that there are always plenty of first timers who are feeling euphoric that they are getting to see Rush. They are not knit picking everything the band does.

We all want different things as fans, but would we rather the band just retire? Ummm....NO!

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 21 2010, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 21 2010, 03:30 PM)

atickhum.gif

I think a lot of us fail to remember that that there are always plenty of first timers who are feeling euphoric that they are getting to see Rush. They are not knit picking everything the band does.

We all want different things as fans, but would we rather the band just retire? Ummm....NO!

i definitely understand. It's a fresh experience for the first timers and still fresh for a large majority of the fans. it's just not something i have right now and i guess it's from being burnt out or just my mind wanting to see something fresh and out of the ordinary. it's alot like seeing a band you've never seen before and came away enjoying the show.

Edited by ReflectedLight

See, I've only seen Rush three times, twice in 2007 and 2008, so even if I didn't like the setlist, I would still go. Fortunately, I love the setlist and I'm glad I'm getting to see certain songs played live that I haven't yet seen.

Have seen Rush about 15 times over the years, and although Rush are, at this moment, about 10 miles from me, I have opted to sit this tour out. I agree with the op and think this setlist is unbelievably bad, and not worth the time, expense, and hassle to go see. No whining, bitching, or moaning, just not going to go. That is all.

I'm repeating myself, but ...

Anyone able to imagine how happy I would be to see this oh so awful set - as a European fan.

Sure, there are no GUP songs. Would love to see this album performed entirely, but it's theoir decision. And you get Presto and Marathon instead. What's the point in bitchin' about that it's not Emotion Detector or Red Tide or or or ...?

Sure, I don't like Faithless or BU2B too much, but WTF?

And yes, Freewill or TSOR aren't real surprises - but is there a band who doesn't settle on at least a few staples?

Am I alone with this opinion? confused13.gif

Edited by barchetta90480

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 21 2010, 04:22 PM)
Anyone able to imagine how happy I would be to see this oh so awful set - as a European fan.

Am I alone with this opinion?  confused13.gif

No, I'm sure you're not alone.

I feel bad for you guys missing out on this leg, while guys like hammerofthor (post above yours) are perhaps sitting home watching Everybody Loves Raymond the night Rush plays in their town. confused13.gif

That seems to be the problem when Rush puts out a product or goes on Tour. Hopefully they will just weed themselves out of here or get thrown off, like they all eventually do

Maybe I'm wrong, but is there anybody here that actually went to a show, and was really disappointed in the show?

Anybody that's speculating that it's going to be bad needs to see the show. It's worth it.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 21 2010, 07:04 PM)
When I first read the setlist, I was bummed. I decided to make a playlist of the songs. I listened to it. It works. I can't wait to see the concert.

yes.gif trink39.gif

The best part of this thread is how he makes this "controversial" post, and then just bounces and lets everybody else reply to it for 4 pages without saying anything. Attention whore much? Or maybe he's just still hung over.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 09:42 PM)
The best part of this thread is how he makes this "controversial" post, and then just bounces and lets everybody else reply to it for 4 pages without saying anything. Attention whore much? Or maybe he's just still hung over.

Or is hammered again. Maybe he posted drunk and doesn't remember starting the thread, or even joining TRF.

Edited by Mara

OP left after his post, so his opinion means nothing.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 22 2010, 12:58 AM)
Setlist is awesome IMO. With Faithless the only personal clunker (and even that was pretty decent) - reat of the show was absolutely awesome. First set was very, very good.

I totally agree Lerxt. and even though Faithless is not one of my favs, they certainly played it well.

Honestly, if I had to lodge a complaint with both set lists it would be in the second set. I was not crazy about them ending with a reworked reggae style Working Man. Switch that to second to last song and I'm probably ok with it.

It was an amazing night all around! No set that included Presto and Marathon could possibly have sucked! 1022.gif

Hey Nec23, the last thing we RUSH fans need at their concerts is a drunken idiot who can't appreciate the fact that this great group is still touring and recording after so many years.

Stay home for the next tour if you don't like the set lists, or go to something boring and predictable like a U2 or Aerosmith concert instead.

I would have liked to add and subtract from the set list too, but with the catalogue they have to choose from, you can't please everyone.

AD (who thought both Toronto shows were fabulous)

QUOTE (Astral Door @ Jul 22 2010, 08:33 AM)
Hey Nec23, the last thing we RUSH fans need at their concerts is a drunken idiot who can't appreciate the fact that this great group is still touring and recording after so many years.

Stay home for the next tour if you don't like the set lists, or go to something boring and predictable like a U2 or Aerosmith concert instead.

I would have liked to add and subtract from the set list too, but with the catalogue they have to choose from, you can't please everyone.

Why do some Rush fans feel the need to slag other bands while defending Rush?

They are easily defended without denigrating another band. I can tell you that U2 and Aerosmith are not boring in concert. In fact, they kick ass just like Rush does.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 22 2010, 10:53 AM)

They are easily defended without denigrating another band. I can tell you that U2 and Aerosmith are not boring in concert. In fact, they kick ass just like Rush does.

You're right: U2 and Aerosmith are good concert bands.

If he insists on slagging another band, he should've said "Go see ACDC." pokey.gif

laugh.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 22 2010, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 22 2010, 10:53 AM)

You're right: U2 and Aerosmith are good concert bands.

If he insists on slagging another band, he should've said "Go see ACDC." pokey.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Well played.