My ACC review!!

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 18 2010, 06:25 AM)
"Don't listen to anybody who is negative about the setlist/other parts of the show. This concert was AMAZING, and at no point was it dull or uneventful."

Yeah, this is easy for you to say, you've only seen them once before, long after they passed their prime. You dont have anything to compare it to, and never got to see rush at the prime in the 80s.

For those of us that have seen them many times, we just have more to compare it to so its easier to be critical of things like the setlist which is why youre seeing that so much here.

Glad you had a good time though, thats all that matters in the end, im just explaining why some are being critical, theyve probably been to rush shows they liked more.

Passed their prime??? Your not listening to the same band I am. Or your just another fan boy lost in the Rush of the 70's who gets pissed off every time they don't play In the Mood or Bastille Day. Get real and wake up, this band is tighter than they've ever been. Take an open minded listen to the material and stop living in the past! I have every live album they've ever recorded, along with some bootleg stuff and I can tell you right now that it's a toss up between RIR or S&A for their best live album.

And after reading some of the other comments about being past their prime; again, if you guys can't stand it so much why the f**k do you go??? Would you rather they not play at all. And as far as Neil's stamina during live performances, I'd challenge any of you to go as hard as he does or any of them for that matter for 3 hours.

Edited by Snyder80

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a fan 30 plus years. I have seen every tour from 1982 (Signals) to the present.

Rush is certainly not in their absolute prime anymore. But they are still better than 99% of what is out there today as a live act.

I define prime not by album sales but by the quality of their recordings song wise and sonically and of course how they bring it live.

I think Rush's song writing prime is hands down 77-87. That ten year run is just sheer brilliance and they pushed the limits of what they could do as a trio. Then Presto brought about the rebirth of the organic approach that culminated with Test For Echo.

Everything after T4E has been a bonus. The proverbial icing on the cake.

Snakes and Arrows for me was the truest return to great song writing for Rush. As much as I loved Roll the Bones (which to me was a such a great album for them although most hardcores disagree) Snakes and Arrows brought back the edge and hunger in their song writing I had not heard since Power Windows.

Now this brings us to today. Caravan and BU2B are awesome hard rocking Rush songs. A clear indication that Clockwork Angels will be the pinnacle of post Signals Rush. I think we are going to get a really special album. The one we have been really waiting for since Signals.

Rush is certainly not in their prime. But they like the finest wines in the world are:

Vintage.

Do they still sound great live....oh yeah no doubt. I happen to think the T4E tour was the very best I had ever seen them live. They were just hitting on all cylinders night after night. Really the best show front to back I had ever seen. Neil has slowed down, and Alex is not as precise night in night out (although Snakes he was on fire for every show I saw). Geddy has aged really well. Amazing how well for a guy as busy as he is on stage and with his vocal demands..just amazing.

The band is clearly much looser on stage and in the way they perform a lot of the classics. Alex will flub solo's more than I had ever seen him do in the past, Neil will not hit every fill night in night out like he had in the past. That is where they do show their age. But most hardly notice these things like we hardcores do.

Enjoy them everyone because the bottle of rocket sauce will run out sooner rather than later.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 18 2010, 07:25 AM)
"Don't listen to anybody who is negative about the setlist/other parts of the show. This concert was AMAZING, and at no point was it dull or uneventful."

Yeah, this is easy for you to say, you've only seen them once before, long after they passed their prime. You dont have anything to compare it to, and never got to see rush at the prime in the 80s.

For those of us that have seen them many times, we just have more to compare it to so its easier to be critical of things like the setlist which is why youre seeing that so much here.

Glad you had a good time though, thats all that matters in the end, im just explaining why some are being critical, theyve probably been to rush shows they liked more.

I dunno man...listen, I will say that I don't have as much to compare to either. I have only been seeing Rush live since 2002, but this was my 8th Rush show (at the ACC last night), and it was spectacular. The best one yet IMO.

With that said, it's funny you think that way. I went (as usual) with my two uncles, who have been seeing them every tour since Signals in '82, and they said that THIS is the best Rush has ever been. They previously touted the 2002 ACC show as their best, but after last night, they both stated that this was in fact the best Rush show they've ever seen.

I am sorry...but what the guys did last night is NOT at all indicitive of them being "past their prime". As far as I'm concerned, they continue to deliver on a nightly basis, and last night was just further proof that age has not affected them at all IMO.

Amazing venue, amazing show, and the crowd was on all night. Being 6th row helped as well...but the boys were killing it all night. Geddy was an absolute monster last night...his bass was f'n amazing!! Amazing night...and RushCon was also superb by the way! smile.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 18 2010, 01:30 PM)

Rush is certainly not in their absolute prime anymore. But they are still better than 99% of what is out there today as a live act.

ahhhhhhh This is the key paragraph right here, my friends. Listen to this man when he speaks.

So, if Rush aren't in their 'prime" anymore, who is nowadays? Next to nobody because most acts suck and I'd pick seeing Rush 70,000 times in a row over seeing a new act ONCE for the first time.

This is precisely why I don't understand people who say "I'm gonna pass on getting tickets because of the setlist."

They are quick to forget that a group of legends are visiting their city. Who cares what they're playing, an d who cares that they aren't in their prime? It's called "getting older and moving in a different musical direction".

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 18 2010, 08:10 AM)
No one I mean no one can make me sit at a Rush concert.

That is full on f***ing lame. That is nerve when everyone on front of you is standing.

I don't know how you accepted that bullshit. I would have politely told her sorry but I don't sit at Rock concerts. The Senior Section is in the very back.

You pay the same dollars as everyone else. Nothing on your ticket says you have to sit, This is not a movie or an opera. It is a hard rock concert.

Unacceptable.

goodpost.gif It is unfair for someone to ask you to sit and then your view is obstructed. If it had been me I would've continued to stand. You paid good money for your ticket and for the most part if you aren't standing you aren't seeing the show.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jul 18 2010, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 18 2010, 08:10 AM)
No one I mean no one can make me sit at a Rush concert.

That is full on f***ing lame. That is nerve when everyone on front of you is standing.

I don't know how you accepted that bullshit. I would have politely told her sorry but I don't sit at Rock concerts. The Senior Section is in the very back.

You pay the same dollars as everyone else. Nothing on your ticket says you have to sit, This is not a movie or an opera. It is a hard rock concert.

Unacceptable.

goodpost.gif It is unfair for someone to ask you to sit and then your view is obstructed. If it had been me I would've continued to stand. You paid good money for your ticket and for the most part if you aren't standing you aren't seeing the show.

Oh no doubt. If it had continued on this way, I would have told her to eff off. It went like this:

She said "Could you sit down so "I" could see?

And I said "oh, so I can ruin "my" enjoyment of the show?"

and she said "sorry, I couldn't hear you?" and leaned in closer... so I said "Nevermind" and waved my hand at her as if to suggest "forget you" and finally I sat down. And that was the end of it.

But by "Stick It Out", most people were sitting down anyway. So it was smooth sailing from that point onward.

But still, I can't believe one bitch is going to try and ruin MY night of seeing "my" favourite band playing all songs that I absolutely love. Forgive me for standing up, shouting, and singing along word for word (which I did all night long.. hahah.. every word to every song.)

Edited by Hemispheres89

Glad you had a great time. 1022.gif

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Jul 18 2010, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 18 2010, 07:48 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 18 2010, 06:25 AM)

no.gif passed their prime? wtf.gif

have you heard them play lately? are you deaf? do you use a lot of hard drugs?

it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly moronic some people's comments on this forum are. say what you want about setlists, and whine about the drum solo...but to say that they are past their prime is beyond absurd. seriously: that is the stupidest comment i have ever read on this forum.

The guys in Rush are in their late '50s, and they haven't released a gold record in 14 years.

Get as bent as you like, but it's not a stupid comment -- it's an honest and accurate one.

Rush is past their prime. I still love them and I'm glad they are still touring, but there's nothing wrong with noting that they are no longer pups and no longer sell records by the truck full -- like they did in their PRIME.

+1 goodpost.gif

oohhh! we get to hear from the drum expert!! he who knows more than the professor and his tech!

i still think they are making some good music but i also think over the last 2-3 records they haven't allowed enough space to play. neil's lyrics aren't exactly the most singer friendly and can't be the easiest to create music around. less novels for songs and more jamming.

To those talking about Rush being outside of their prime years, to me it really depends on how you look at it. For example, I think Geddy's bass playing is far above what it was 20 years ago. As a player, he seems to be getting better and better. Neil, as a time keeper, is much more solid now and in the pocket (musicians will know what I mean here) IMO than he was 30 years ago when each tour was notorious for very fast performances of songs. Fast chops and millions of notes per second does not equal good or bad; these are just tools in a player's arsenal and I know Alex and Neil, while definitely not as flashy as they were "in their prime," are still more than capable of playing just as fast if not faster. As musicians grow, so do their tastes and values. I dunno, it's hard to explain...unless you're one of those people who like Dragonforce or even bands like Dream Theater just for how fast they can play. Edited by marblesmike

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 18 2010, 01:26 PM)
And after reading some of the other comments about being past their prime; again, if you guys can't stand it so much why the f**k do you go???

banghead.gif

Every time someone says something about Rush that isn't "Everything is Equally Great!" -- even if it's honest and not remotely negative -- some mouth-breather on TRF will tell you to STOP LISTENING TO RUSH IF YOU DON'T LOVE EVERY SINGLE THING ABOUT RUSH!!!!!

Go screw.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 05:07 PM)
And after reading some of the other comments about being past their prime; again, if you guys can't stand it so much why the f**k do you go???

banghead.gif

Every time someone says something about Rush that isn't "Everything is Equally Great!" -- even if it's honest and not remotely negative -- some mouth-breather on TRF will tell you to STOP LISTENING TO RUSH IF YOU DON'T LOVE EVERY SINGLE THING ABOUT RUSH!!!!!

Go screw.

easy solution.

get off the forum.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 04:07 PM)

banghead.gif

Go screw.

I fail to see how stating that Rush is past their prime is being negative........really, how can anyone really disagree with that?

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 18 2010, 05:10 PM)

banghead.gif

Go screw.

easy solution.

get off the forum.

I think I'll keep posting my opinions about Rush and the drooling supplicants who make up a large part of their fan base.

Thanks for your concern, though.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 18 2010, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 04:07 PM)

banghead.gif

Go screw.

I fail to see how stating that Rush is past their prime is being negative........really, how can anyone really disagree with that?

Exactly, but you're reading the same thread I am.

It's actually happening, and when it gets pointed out, not only do I get a "Stop listening to Rush blah blah blah" but also "Get off the forum."

Just unbelievably lame.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 05:18 PM)

banghead.gif

Go screw.

easy solution.

get off the forum.

I think I'll keep posting my opinions about Rush and the drooling supplicants who make up a large part of their fan base.

Voicing your opinion is fine.

Why the "Go screw." ????

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 18 2010, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 05:18 PM)

banghead.gif

Go screw.

easy solution.

get off the forum.

Voicing your opinion is fine.

Why the "Go screw." ????

Please.

Read the post that started this tangent. I didn't see you jumping on hughes and kettner for dropping moron about 20 times in the space of two posts.

And if someone can't handle an honest assessment, they can certainly go screw. It's like me telling my wife the roast is a little dry and she jumps up screaming "WELL DON'T EAT EVER AGAIN IS IT SUCKS SO BAD!"

It's childish, shrill and utter nonsense.

Perhaps your police powers of forum decorum could have been better used to respond to this:

passed their prime? 

have you heard them play lately? are you deaf? do you use a lot of hard drugs?

it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly moronic some people's comments on this forum are. say what you want about setlists, and whine about the drum solo...but to say that they are past their prime is beyond absurd. seriously: that is the stupidest comment i have ever read on this forum.
Edited by moedrabowsky

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 18 2010, 01:16 PM)

Great song by song review and of your concert experience. I wouldn't have accommodated just one person who wanted you to sit. If there's one buzzkill in the crowd don't please them. Tell them "you're at a rock concert and you're standing the f**k up!"

This reminds me of when I saw Rush at the Molson amphitheater in Toronto in the summer of 1997. The crowd stood up when they hit the stage and then they proceeded to sit down for the whole show confused13.gif That's the only time i've ever experienced that at a hard rock concert.

I'm with you in not understanding the behavior of some people at concerts. The ego of a person behind you asking you to sit as if it's somehow you're duty to please them that night is downright ridiculous.

I'm glad you enjoyed your live Rush experience. On the 23rd it will be my seventh time seeing them and i'll continue to go see them until I can't anymore. I'm still not bored of seeing them live and while there are a few better selections they can do, I don't complain about the set very much. Hopefully they still got enough left in the tank to continue touring for a long time to come.

Thanks!!

And I like your attitude. Do continue to see them for as long as humanly possible. I can tell you that you are in for a REAL treat this tour, but you've seen them way more times than i have, so you probably don't need me to tell you that. haha.

Most people tend to sit at Rush concerts because, although it is a hard rock concert, there's also many slower/lengthier songs they play live. Another reason may be that Rush have an older fanbase as well as younger. Most older folks go as a husband/wife combination and are perfectly content sitting down. However, what they are quick to forget here (as in the woman demonstarted in my example) is that they were once young too... and when Rush was the hot new band that everybody was talking about, they were on their feet.

I'm now that "young" kind of person and wish to stand, so she should have left me alone. It put a bit of a damper on things, however, it was NOT nearly enough to ruin my night.

I hear there are already plans for the actual studio album tour NEXT summer, so I already can't wait for that! I woke up this morning feeling refreshed, but was ready for round 2!!! Let's hope they keep touring 1022.gif

Edited by Hemispheres89

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jul 18 2010, 05:38 PM)
Can we get back to the original point here?
Was anybody else at this show who could share their experiences as well?

Not at the show, but I posted a lengthy review of the show at Albuquerque. I thought it was the best tour I've seen since VT.

I'm sure ALB wasn't as full as the ACC show, but there weren't any technical glitches -- except Alex had some issues.

I posted in another thread -- tongue-in-cheek -- that Rush will probably be looking for a new guitar tech after this leg of the tour.

Alex has had a problem every single night, evidently.

I went to the show last night at the ACC. I thought the show was AMAZING. I was honestly blown away, and had a blast. My buddy and I were singing along, air drumming, and air guitaring all night long!!! 1022.gif

Geddy, Alex, and Neil put on a great show and were ALL on top of their game. There were a few technical issues with Alex's guitar as was mentioned by a few people, but also Neil had an issue with his MIDI marimba during the YYZ intro. It kept cutting in and out during the morse code intro just before the band comes in with the intro riff. I noticed his drum tech playing around with the wires during the song trying to fix it, and luckily it did get sorted out. smile.gif

Overall, though GREAT show. The crowd was ON last night. Packed to the rafters too from what I saw and into the show as well. You could tell the crowd energy really fired the band up. Superb show and I want to go see them again!!!! Definitely next year since Geddy said last night after the show "You guys have been AWESOME tonight!!! We will DEFINITELY see you next time!!".

I'm looking forward to it already!!!

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 18 2010, 05:52 PM)
Well if the people on the forum piss you off so much, maybe you'd be better served doing something that doesn't piss you off instead of telling them to go screw.

Go screw.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif