My ACC review!!

First off, before I begin.. two things:

a) RUSH IS THE F-ING GREATEST BAND EVER!

b ) Don't listen to anybody who is negative about the setlist/other parts of the show. This concert was AMAZING, and at no point was it dull or uneventful.

1. The Spirit of Radio: My god, this was AMAZING, and there's no way I could foresee this being better in an outdoor venue. My only gripe here (and it's a tiny one) is that the intro video was a bit too long for me. At that point, I just wanted the band to COME OUT! And when I heard that opening riff, I could see the stage crew unfurl the cloth to reveal the drumset along with Geddy running up the shrt set of stairs connecting to the stage. MAJOR GOOSEBUMPS!

2. Time Stand Still: The crowd was still pretty wild for this, and I loved every second of the song!

3. Presto: "If I could wave my magic wand"

Says it all right there. After that, the song was pretty cool although the majority of the crowd settled down. Probably the one song from the whole night that got the least response from the crowd upon initaiting it.

4. Stick It Out: I don't know if this is just "me" or not, but this song sounded particularly LOUDER than the other songs of the night. LOVED IT!

5. Workin' Them Angels: I had my fill on the S&A tour, but it wasn't as annoying as I thought it was gonna be, because I was already on a string of exciting songs and was already in a rocking, energetic frenzy.

6. Leave That Thing Alone: The only song of the entire night where I had to scratch my head for a few seconds to figure out which song it was. Wasn't bad, although not my favourite insrumental of theirs.

7. Faithless: MEEHHH!!!!!!

8. BU2B: This song came second to Caravan by studio comparison, but in concert, I reeally truly enjoyed this song.

9. Free Will: That jam in the middle was a total mindf*** just like always!

10. Marathon: ahhhhhh, now this was DEFINITELY a highlight of MY night, personally. It's not my favourite Rush song, but it was probably my greatest memory of the night to hear it performed live. Plus that explosion scared the crap outta me!

11. Subdivisions: Another pleasant tune to my ears, and I can NEVER get tired of this one. The good thing about this song is I knew intermission was coming up afterwards and I needed to get rehydrated because I was dripping sweat with enthusiasm. I was crying out "MORE RUSH!!!!!"

12. MP album: Just one song after another full of fists pumping in the air. The only "slow" parts for me were during Witch Hunt at times, but I loved everything else!

13. Caravan: I said it before and I'll say it again, I was looking forward to hearing this live. And I could tell by the looks on most people's faces, that they haven't heard this song before, and they seemed blown away for the most part!

14. Drum Solo: I thought it was waaaaay too similar to the S&A one, with literally a handful of SLIGHT modifications that were barely noticeable. Still not bad, although I have to admit something here: I feel bad for Neil. While watching him on the screen, it's apparent that he's not getting any younger and it looks like he' even hurting a little bit.

15. Guitar Solo/Closer To The Heart: I love the change they've made to the ending, it caught me by surprise!

16. 2112 - BLOODY JESUS!!!! It was note for note full of intensely hard rocking energy. I thought I had died and gone to rock n roll heaven. As a matter of fact, screw Moving Pictures for a minute. Just by having the 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx in the setlist, makes the whole dan thing worthwhile. And yet, people still have the balls to complain.

17. Far Cry: GREAT SONG! But as a closer, I just don't understand.

18. La Villa Strangiato: I...had... my...hand..over...my...heart!! This is my favourite Rush song, and it was PEERRRRRFECT!!

19. Working Man: Terrific ending to a perfect night!!!!

My only complaints were:

1. A lady behind me tapped my shoulder and asked me to sit down when the show first started. I was pissed, but I abided by her wishes. Only problem was, now I'm sitting down behind a bunch of standing people, thus hindering "my" enjoyment of the show.

2. People who consistently kept getting in and out of their seats for beer trips. I voiced my concern on this matter on several threads, including one I made on my own, and it just bothers me. I eventually blatantly stopped getting up, but instead tucking my feet in while still sitting. The same two people kept going out for beer. They spend 100 dollars on ONE rush ticket, and then spend just as amuch to buy beer at the concert and miss half the show. Plus, the girl beside me kept giving me stern looks because I consistently played air guitar and drums. But she looked bored stiff 99% of the time. What in god's name is wrong with people!!!!?

In conclusion..BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE!

For anyone who has yet to see them in the near future, you are indeed in for a treat!!!

Edited by Hemispheres89

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Don't listen to anybody who is negative about the setlist/other parts of the show. This concert was AMAZING, and at no point was it dull or uneventful."

Yeah, this is easy for you to say, you've only seen them once before, long after they passed their prime. You dont have anything to compare it to, and never got to see rush at the prime in the 80s.

For those of us that have seen them many times, we just have more to compare it to so its easier to be critical of things like the setlist which is why youre seeing that so much here.

Glad you had a good time though, thats all that matters in the end, im just explaining why some are being critical, theyve probably been to rush shows they liked more.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 18 2010, 06:25 AM)
"Don't listen to anybody who is negative about the setlist/other parts of the show. This concert was AMAZING, and at no point was it dull or uneventful."

Yeah, this is easy for you to say, you've only seen them once before, long after they passed their prime. You dont have anything to compare it to, and never got to see rush at the prime in the 80s.

no.gif passed their prime? wtf.gif

have you heard them play lately? are you deaf? do you use a lot of hard drugs?

it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly moronic some people's comments on this forum are. say what you want about setlists, and whine about the drum solo...but to say that they are past their prime is beyond absurd. seriously: that is the stupidest comment i have ever read on this forum.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 18 2010, 07:48 AM)

it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly moronic some people's comments on this forum are. say what you want about setlists, and whine about the drum solo...but to say that they are past their prime is beyond absurd. seriously: that is the stupidest comment i have ever read on this forum.

The guys in Rush are in their late '50s, and they haven't released a gold record in 14 years.

Get as bent as you like, but it's not a stupid comment -- it's an honest and accurate one.

Rush is past their prime. I still love them and I'm glad they are still touring, but there's nothing wrong with noting that they are no longer pups and no longer sell records by the truck full -- like they did in their PRIME.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 10:52 AM)

The guys in Rush are in their late '50s, and they haven't released a gold record in 14 years.

Get as bent as you like, but it's not a stupid comment -- it's an honest and accurate one.

Rush is past their prime. I still love them and I'm glad they are still touring, but there's nothing wrong with noting that they are no longer pups and no longer sell records by the truck full -- like they did in their PRIME.

If you equate an artist's prime by the amount of records and concert tickets sold you have a point. I believe hughes&kettner is talking about their musical chops, so to speak. I've seen Rush in concert 1981 through 1985, they kicked ass. I've seen Rush from 2004 through 2009. They kicked ass. I'm going to see them later this summer. I'm sure they will kick ass. Oh wait, they don't sell out every venue and don't sell millions of CDs. I guess they're passed their prime as musicians...

No one I mean no one can make me sit at a Rush concert.

That is full on f***ing lame. That is nerve when everyone on front of you is standing.

I don't know how you accepted that bullshit. I would have politely told her sorry but I don't sit at Rock concerts. The Senior Section is in the very back.

You pay the same dollars as everyone else. Nothing on your ticket says you have to sit, This is not a movie or an opera. It is a hard rock concert.

Unacceptable.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 18 2010, 11:10 AM)

That is full on f***ing lame. That is nerve when everyone on front of you is standing.

I don't know how you accepted that bullshit. I would have politely told her sorry but I don't sit at Rock concerts. The Senior Section is in the very back.

You pay the same dollars as everyone else. Nothing on your ticket says you have to sit, This is not a movie or an opera. It is a hard rock concert.

Unacceptable.

Likewise. If it's one of those moments where pretty much most of the crowd decides to take a load off, I'll join them, even though I may not feel like sitting.

But to accommodate one whiner, and to the extent that MY view is now obstructed? NFW.

Edited by Mara

2.gif

Incredible concert, my first RUSH show. Definitely the best show musically wise that I have seen.

I realized during the intermission that the older lady sitting behind me was Alex's mom. I only spoke to her briefly, but she is so nice.

What a show, and just to put in my two cents on the standing thing. You're there for the show, so be ready to stand. I'll only sit if the person behind me is too old to stand, too young to see, disabled, or has the body of Arnold Shwarzenegger in his prime. The girls behind me were texting so I said screw it and stood! I don't understand some people.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 18 2010, 09:57 AM)

If you equate an artist's prime by the amount of records and concert tickets sold you have a point. I believe hughes&kettner is talking about their musical chops, so to speak. I've seen Rush in concert 1981 through 1985, they kicked ass. I've seen Rush from 2004 through 2009. They kicked ass. I'm going to see them later this summer. I'm sure they will kick ass. Oh wait, they don't sell out every venue and don't sell millions of CDs. I guess they're passed their prime as musicians...

Of course they are still great PLAYERS. I've seen them since 1984 and they always put on a great show.

Lots of guys like Jimmy Page have lost their chops, while guys like Lifeson and Iommi have stayed in form.

As relevant artist, yes, they are past their prime. They've only put out three studio albums in 15 years.

But this is a semantic argument you're making. No one considers any band that came of age in the 70s in their prime.

Well, except for fanboys.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 11:22 AM)

Of course they are still great PLAYERS. I've seen them since 1984 and they always put on a great show.

Lots of guys like Jimmy Page have lost their chops, while guys like Lifeson and Iommi have stayed in form.

As relevant artist, yes, they are past their prime. They've only put out three studio albums in 15 years.

But this is a semantic argument you're making. No one considers any band that came of age in the 70s in their prime.

Again, I'm not talking about Rush's commercial prime. Yes. Those days are long gone. No argument here. But, they can still PLAY. And that is the point hughes&kettner is making. They still put on a hell of a show and, personally, I think they still hit it out of the park every once in a while songwriting-wise. "Caravan" has the energy a lot of their "prime" songs do. They still go it.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 18 2010, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 11:22 AM)

Again, I'm not talking about Rush's commercial prime. Yes. Those days are long gone. No argument here. But, they can still PLAY. And that is the point hughes&kettner is making. They still put on a hell of a show and, personally, I think they still hit it out of the park every once in a while songwriting-wise. "Caravan" has the energy a lot of their "prime" songs do. They still go it.

That's reasonable.

He had a bit of a hysterical reaction to a not unreasonable post, though, so I thought I would chime in, being that I can't keep my mouth shut.

Anyway, this tour is excellent. I enjoyed it more than S&A Live and the R30 tours.

You'll love it.

I may start a new thread to bitch about ticket prices, though, and not just for Rush. It's outrageous and it's no wonder so many bands are cancelling shows -- even workhorses like Tom Petty and ZZ Top.

Seems like Rush, Maiden and Roger Waters are the only bands playing to larger crowds night after night.

Saw the show last night at the ACC. I've seen Rush on every tour since P/G.

All in all I was impressed, especially with the first set. Look, you have to know that there's going to be a bunch of songs Rush will always do. There were a whole bunch of kids yesterday I'm sure never saw them before.

That said, I though Marathon was a great surprise. As was Presto. It is nice sometimes to see them pick up stuff they haven't done in a while. I could have done without Stick it OUt, but heavier Rush is not my forte.

MP was great, but did anyone notice the nasty high pitch feedback during YYZ. It was nasty. Al had to change guitars before Limelight, and you couldn't make out his guitar for the first few bars of Limelight.

Regarding standing up. I was in Sect.120, and this was the first time I had to stand up for the whole show, cause everyone else was. I'm 44, I'm on my feet all day, so I wasn't especially thrilled about that. Normally people sit down after 3-4 songs, but not this time.

I thought for sure during Presto, or one of the slower songs, people would sit down en masse.

But all in all, and I've seen Rush dozens of times, I'd rate this up there. Not the best Rush show ever, but pretty good overall.

For those of us that have seen them many times, we just have more to compare it to so its easier to be critical of things like the setlist which is why youre seeing that so much here.

Glad you had a good time though, thats all that matters in the end, im just explaining why some are being critical, theyve probably been to rush shows they liked more.

Oh, I don't know. I've been seeing them since '84, and I'd agree with the quoted statement.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 18 2010, 10:10 AM)

Unacceptable.

absolutely right. it's a concert and you are there to have fun. if you feel like standing you stand and if you feel like sitting once in a while like myself, than you can sit. sitting once in a while feels good and enables me to go the distance. old.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 18 2010, 11:02 AM)

Oh, I don't know. I've been seeing them since '84, and I'd agree with the quoted statement.

i've been seeing them since 87' and i disagree with what you agree on. laugh.gif

what can i say, you can't please em' all. i'm just feeling burnt out from this setlist. i'm just at a point in my life where i like alot of variety and mixing things up to keep my interest.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 10:22 AM)

well, i'm counting anyone out of a discussion who thinks that jimmy page has lost his chops. yet another moronic post.

you think if you went to page's house, sat down and listened to him play, that you'd be anything less than blown away, you : A. know nothing about guitar playing and B. know even less about music.

rush was never "relevant"... in the music business sense.

moving pictures still sells 15,000 copies a week.

i also woner aloud, why so many people are on this forum when they have such negative things to say about rush.

and rush's album output was slowed a bit by deaths in the family- remember that fair-weather fan?? took a little time off to stay alive.

thriller is one of the best selling albums ever- but MJ was still a pederass and a freak. so i'm not sure why people give a shit about how many albums someone sells.

if you don't like their albums, and don't like their sets and think they are old THEN DON'T LISTEN TO THEM AND DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THEM ON A FREAKING 2.gif FORUM...

Anyone who has seen Jimmy Page play over the past 30 years will tell you he's a shell of himself. And I play guitar, pumpkin, and I know enough about music to know you're an hysterical fanboy deep in denial about your favorite band. Only deep in the fever swamps does honesty equal negativity.

I would engage you further, but it looks like you're having trouble forming a coherent thought through the spittle you're flecking on your keyboard.

"pederass" huh? That's some funny shit right there.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 11:58 AM)
Anyone who has seen Jimmy Page play over the past 30 years will tell you he's a shell of himself. And I play guitar, pumpkin, and I know enough about music to know you're an hysterical fanboy deep in denial about your favorite band. Only deep in the fever swamps does honesty equal negativity.

I would engage you further, but it looks like you're having trouble forming a coherent thought through the spittle you're flecking on your keyboard.

"pederass" huh? That's some funny shit right there.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.

rather be "deep in denial" about rush, than in denial about not being a moron, such as your self. so you've seen page a lot in the last 30 years?

you seem to be a fanboy of your self...and that sounds pretty sad, pumpkin. now go practice so you have a chance at not sucking so bad.

if you have such a poor opinion of rush why in god's green earth are you here, d-bag? rofl3.gif

I think it's pretty safe to say, they are well past their prime.......even though they are still amazing live, their performances aren't as exciting as they were 20 odd years ago IMO......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 18 2010, 12:06 PM)
I think it's pretty safe to say, they are well past their prime.......even though they are still amazing live, their performances aren't as exciting as they were 20 odd years ago IMO......

can you give any specific instances? not sure why you are thinking that...

No.. I haven't seen them as many times as you have, and I missed them when they were in their so-called "prime" as you like to put it (whatever that means since they absolutely ROCKED last night), but they have played many songs that I've already seen live, such as Freewill, Limelight, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, etc. and I STILL couldn't get enough of it.

If you're actually ignorant enough to skip a Rush show because of the songs they will be playing, then go to a f***ing Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber concert!!! These guys aren't getting any younger, and they still put on a hell of a show. They have no opening act, and enlighten us for over 3 hours playing all kinds of songs. And you're still ignorant, I don't understand people like you.

When they retire, you're going to be sorry!

On a sidenote, did anyone else notice the sideways jump Geddy did on the very last note of Limelight?! I could tell he was going to jump, but it came out totally unplanned, in my opinion. My god, did it give me a rush of excitement though! a 57 year old man jumping around the stage!!

MORE RUSSSSSSHHH!!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 18 2010, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 18 2010, 12:06 PM)

can you give any specific instances? not sure why you are thinking that...

specific instances of what?

QUOTE (nerkinouj @ Jul 18 2010, 10:21 AM)
2.gif 

Incredible concert, my first RUSH show. Definitely the best show musically wise that I have seen.

I realized during the intermission that the older lady sitting behind me was Alex's mom. I only spoke to her briefly, but she is so nice.

What a show, and just to put in my two cents on the standing thing. You're there for the show, so be ready to stand. I'll only sit if the person behind me is too old to stand, too young to see, disabled, or has the body of Arnold Shwarzenegger in his prime. The girls behind me were texting so I said screw it and stood! I don't understand some people.

Where was Alex's mom's seats? Did she stand?

As for not being in their prime, they're not. Neil anyway, when it comes to live performance especially. He just doesn't have the energy and force he used to have. I could see the difference just between the VT tour and the S&A tour. There's nothing wrong with that. Everyone gets older, it's a physical instrument and he plays a long show. But it is what it is.

And anyone who can listen to Jimmy Page back in the 70's, listen to live recordings, listen to and watch the Song Remains the Same and then watch and listen to anything he's done ever since that awful perfomance at Live Aid in 1985 and not see the difference is just talking nonsesnse.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 18 2010, 09:52 AM)

+1 goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jul 18 2010, 01:21 AM)
First off, before I begin.. two things:

a) RUSH IS THE F-ING GREATEST BAND EVER!
b ) Don't listen to anybody who is negative about the setlist/other parts of the show. This concert was AMAZING, and at no point was it dull or uneventful.

1. The Spirit of Radio:  My god, this was AMAZING, and there's no way I could foresee this being better in an outdoor venue. My only gripe here (and it's a tiny one) is that the intro video was a bit too long for me. At that point, I just wanted the band to COME OUT! And when I heard that opening riff, I could see the stage crew unfurl the cloth to reveal the drumset along with Geddy running up the shrt set of stairs connecting to the stage. MAJOR GOOSEBUMPS!

2. Time Stand Still: The crowd was still pretty wild for this, and I loved every second of the song!

3. Presto: "If I could wave my magic wand"
Says it all right there. After that, the song was pretty cool although the majority of the crowd settled down. Probably the one song from the whole night that got the least response from the crowd upon initaiting it.

4. Stick It Out: I don't know if this is just "me" or not, but this song sounded particularly LOUDER than the other songs of the night. LOVED IT!

5. Workin' Them Angels: I had my fill on the S&A tour, but it wasn't as annoying as I thought it was gonna be, because I was already on a string of exciting songs and was already in a rocking, energetic frenzy.

6. Leave That Thing Alone: The only song of the entire night where I had to scratch my head for a few seconds to figure out which song it was. Wasn't bad, although not my favourite insrumental of theirs.

7. Faithless: MEEHHH!!!!!!

8. BU2B:  This song came second to Caravan by studio comparison, but in concert, I reeally truly enjoyed this song.

9. Free Will: That jam in the middle was a total mindf*** just like always!

10. Marathon: ahhhhhh, now this was DEFINITELY a highlight of MY night, personally. It's not my favourite Rush song, but it was probably my greatest memory of the night to hear it performed live. Plus that explosion scared the crap outta me!

11. Subdivisions: Another pleasant tune to my ears, and I can NEVER get tired of this one. The good thing about this song is I knew intermission was coming up afterwards and I needed to get rehydrated because I was dripping sweat with enthusiasm. I was crying out "MORE RUSH!!!!!"

12. MP album:  Just one song after another full of fists pumping in the air. The only "slow" parts for me were during Witch Hunt at times, but I loved everything else!

13. Caravan: I said it before and I'll say it again, I was looking forward to hearing this live. And I could tell by the looks on most people's faces, that they haven't heard this song before, and they seemed blown away for the most part!

14. Drum Solo: I thought it was waaaaay too similar to the S&A one, with literally a handful of SLIGHT modifications that were barely noticeable. Still not bad, although I have to admit something here: I feel bad for Neil. While watching him on the screen, it's apparent that he's not getting any younger and it looks like he' even hurting a little bit.

15. Guitar Solo/Closer To The Heart: I love the change they've made to the ending, it caught me by surprise!

16. 2112 - BLOODY JESUS!!!!  It was note for note full of intensely hard rocking energy. I thought I had died and gone to rock n roll heaven. As a matter of fact, screw Moving Pictures for a minute. Just by having the 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx in the setlist, makes the whole dan thing worthwhile. And yet, people still have the balls to complain.

17. Far Cry: GREAT SONG!  But as a closer, I just don't understand.

18. La Villa Strangiato: I...had... my...hand..over...my...heart!! This is my favourite Rush song, and it was PEERRRRRFECT!!

19. Working Man: Terrific ending to a perfect night!!!!

My only complaints were:

1. A lady behind me tapped my shoulder and asked me to sit down when the show first started. I was pissed, but I abided by her wishes. Only problem was, now I'm sitting down behind a bunch of standing people, thus hindering "my" enjoyment of the show.

2. People who consistently kept getting in and out of their seats for beer trips. I voiced my concern on this matter on several threads, including one I made on my own, and it just bothers me. I eventually blatantly stopped getting up, but instead tucking my feet in while still sitting. The same two people kept going out for beer. They spend 100 dollars on ONE rush ticket, and then spend just as amuch to buy beer at the concert and miss half the show.  Plus, the girl beside me kept giving me stern looks because I consistently played air guitar and drums. But she looked bored stiff 99% of the time.  What in god's name is wrong with people!!!!?

In conclusion..BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE!

For anyone who has yet to see them in the near future, you are indeed in for a treat!!!

Great song by song review and of your concert experience. I wouldn't have accommodated just one person who wanted you to sit. If there's one buzzkill in the crowd don't please them. Tell them "you're at a rock concert and you're standing the f**k up!"

This reminds me of when I saw Rush at the Molson amphitheater in Toronto in the summer of 1997. The crowd stood up when they hit the stage and then they proceeded to sit down for the whole show confused13.gif That's the only time i've ever experienced that at a hard rock concert.

I'm with you in not understanding the behavior of some people at concerts. The ego of a person behind you asking you to sit as if it's somehow you're duty to please them that night is downright ridiculous.

I'm glad you enjoyed your live Rush experience. On the 23rd it will be my seventh time seeing them and i'll continue to go see them until I can't anymore. I'm still not bored of seeing them live and while there are a few better selections they can do, I don't complain about the set very much. Hopefully they still got enough left in the tank to continue touring for a long time to come.

Edited by J2112YYZ