My ACC review!!

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 19 2010, 01:04 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 18 2010, 05:25 AM)
"Don't listen to anybody who is negative about the setlist/other parts of the show. This concert was AMAZING, and at no point was it dull or uneventful."

Yeah, this is easy for you to say, you've only seen them once before, long after they passed their prime. You dont have anything to compare it to, and never got to see rush at the prime in the 80s.

For those of us that have seen them many times, we just have more to compare it to so its easier to be critical of things like the setlist which is why youre seeing that so much here.

Glad you had a good time though, thats all that matters in the end, im just explaining why some are being critical, theyve probably been to rush shows they liked more.

Rush concerts are significantly better now than back in the 80s. Did you even see them back then?

They are a lot more exciting now than in the 80's - and I saw from Signals - on. Not that they were dull, or any less precise and demanding of themselves than they are today; there's just an element to the shows now that wasn't there in the 80's. It's hard for me to describe exactly.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 19 2010, 08:57 AM)
"Don't listen to anybody who is negative about the setlist/other parts of the show. This concert was AMAZING, and at no point was it dull or uneventful."

Yeah, this is easy for you to say, you've only seen them once before, long after they passed their prime. You dont have anything to compare it to, and never got to see rush at the prime in the 80s.

For those of us that have seen them many times, we just have more to compare it to so its easier to be critical of things like the setlist which is why youre seeing that so much here.

Glad you had a good time though, thats all that matters in the end, im just explaining why some are being critical, theyve probably been to rush shows they liked more.

Rush concerts are significantly better now than back in the 80s. Did you even see them back then?

They are a lot more exciting now than in the 80's - and I saw from Signals - on. Not that they were dull, or any less precise and demanding of themselves than they are today; there's just an element to the shows now that wasn't there in the 80's. It's hard for me to describe exactly.

Yep.

I started seeing Rush in the 1980s too...and I think that they play with more feeling now and are more excited to be there. That counts for a lot.

Seems to me that most every gig Rush has done since coming back in 2002 has been a celebration of sorts, a party. At least that's how it's been here in LA.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jul 19 2010, 11:14 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 19 2010, 08:57 AM)

Yep.

I started seeing Rush in the 1980s too...and I think that they play with more feeling now and are more excited to be there. That counts for a lot.

Seems to me that most every gig Rush has done since coming back in 2002 has been a celebration of sorts, a party. At least that's how it's been here in LA.

That's they exact way I've felt about Rush on every tour since 2002. You can tell by both seeing them in person and on the live DVDs that they're just having fun now. They know how fortunate they are to still be able to do what they love. So they're smiling a lot more, at least Geddy and Alex are laugh.gif and just enjoying the icing on the cake of their career that these last few tours have been.

Edited by J2112YYZ

No doubt they are better live now than in the 80's. Although I have some great boots from the Waves tour and MP tour and what I would give to have seen them then. There was something so very special about those 2 tours. They were truly in their prime right there. Kinda like where Porcupine tree is right now.

But starting with the Signals tour through Presto everything was played really fast, and they really could not budge on stage too much.

But I felt they really got much better live starting with the Counterparts tour. And the T4E tour was the best I had ever seen them. But last tour was also just amazing.

They are just f***ing silly how good they are live. And the shows production values have been growing and growing. I can't wait to see the new tour already!!!!!!!

Edited by Todem

Gotta agree with the theory here that they seem to be having way more fun these days than twenty years ago. My father has seen them about a dozen times and even he called the S&A show the best one he's ever been to. Just like the one poster said, it's like they are celebrating something every single night they play. And after their hiatus and the reason for it; to come back from something like that and do anything at all is supernatural if you ask me. Never mind the fact that they are still releasing grade A material and playing massive tours.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 19 2010, 02:53 PM)
No doubt they are better live now than in the 80's. Although I have some great boots from the Waves tour and MP tour and what I would give to have seen them then. There was something so very special about those 2 tours. They were truly in their prime right there. Kinda like where Porcupine tree is right now.

are you compaing rush to porcupine tree?? wtf.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 18 2010, 06:25 AM)

Captain Buzkill strikes again! eyesre4.gif 062802puke_prv.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif beathorse.gif

Hemispheres89, I'm glad you enjoyed the show. Don't let the superior cynics around here bring you down! trink39.gif

Edited by PariahDog

I was in the 300's at the ACC. 310 I think...anyways...great show....these guys still have lots of energy and always entertain. I was kinda disappointed with the sound in my section....as was my buddy. Some songs sounded great while others were muddy and too loud....and I normally like loud! lol

I usually get floor seats for concerts but left this one too late.

Has anybody else come across this ?

Great show! We were in Section 310 too, at the ACC. It was a view I had never seen before. The band were firing on all cylinders. Seeing Neil quickly creep and hide at the drum kit before each set was kind of neat.

Geddy's bass tone, and frenetic playing, were the best I'd seen. I liked Neil's solo, as he kept that triplet playing, while his hands were not phased by it. Alex had great tone on all solos. The Vital Signs guitar tone was just perfect, and major tone-age for every solo!

Enjoyed the reggae start to Working Man, and the new ending to CTTH with the 6-beat.

One vocal guy in our section was screaming for the reggae to end, but he had to wait two whole verses! hahaha.... then he screams, "now that's more like it!"

Funniest comment was walking outside the ACC after the show, and some punk walks past me in the other direction sneering, "that concert sucked balls!"

I first saw Rush in 1981, front row in Edmonton, but the wildest Rush show was at Radio City in New York after winning tickets from Toronto's Q-107 (cool story on a much earlier post).

I got serious with Rush when a friend gave me his brother's 2112 in about 1978, which he later got crap for, and that started it all... then my currently 95 year old Grandmother in 1982 bought me Rush Deluxe Anthology sheet music for piano, which greatly helped me transition from the Royal Conservatory of Music to a rock keyboardist... which I still do with Ward 3.

Edited by Keyz

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 18 2010, 07:48 AM)

no.gif passed their prime? wtf.gif

have you heard them play lately? are you deaf? do you use a lot of hard drugs?

it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly moronic some people's comments on this forum are. say what you want about setlists, and whine about the drum solo...but to say that they are past their prime is beyond absurd. seriously: that is the stupidest comment i have ever read on this forum.

I think I have seen them a few times lately, Ive been to every tour since Power Windows, and there is no way im going to sit here and pretend these guys sound as good as they did in their early-30s, sorry.

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Jul 19 2010, 03:40 PM)
wtf.gif is Porcupine Tree??? never heard one of their songs in my life....

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Come on let's fly... to JUPITER ISLAND!!!!! 1022.gif

Pretty good band, they are a bunch of younger guys I believe. Ruh is one of their biggest influences . You should check 'em out!

To the poster that never heard of PT: I first heard about them at a Rush show in Chicago back in 2008. Now I have all their music and have seen them twice. Try them! My second behind Rush.

To everyone that is saying that Rush is better live now than they were in the 80s: Have you thought that maybe it's because the technology they use now is that much better? How much more do they sequence now than they did back then? Allot! Of course they are going to sound better and put on a better show when it's triggered! And don't get all pissy with me about it! It's the sad truth about Rush we all know.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 19 2010, 08:50 PM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 18 2010, 07:48 AM)

no.gif passed their prime? wtf.gif

have you heard them play lately? are you deaf? do you use a lot of hard drugs?

it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly moronic some people's comments on this forum are. say what you want about setlists, and whine about the drum solo...but to say that they are past their prime is beyond absurd. seriously: that is the stupidest comment i have ever read on this forum.

I think I have seen them a few times lately, Ive been to every tour since Power Windows, and there is no way im going to sit here and pretend these guys sound as good as they did in their early-30s, sorry.

Why must you be so negative about absolutely EVERYTHING?

You're one of those pessimistic people who lurk the forums to attack anyone who praises modern-day Rush.

News-flash: The year is 2010, not 1975. And embarking on a tour entitled "The Time Machine Tour" doesn't necessarily mean it's going to restore their ages to the 30-somethings that you so adamantly love.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jul 19 2010, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (Supersyl @ Jul 19 2010, 03:40 PM)
wtf.gif  is Porcupine Tree??? never heard one of their songs in my life....

2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

Come on let's fly... to JUPITER ISLAND!!!!! 1022.gif

Pretty good band, they are a bunch of younger guys I believe. Ruh is one of their biggest influences . You should check 'em out!

Steven is 43 (born in 67 the year of Sgt. Pepper) ;-)