Witness:Police mistreated Rush guitarist in ruckus

MUSICinTheABsTrAcT

website

Witness: Police mistreated Rush guitarist in ruckus

By JOHN HENDERSON, jfhenderson@naplesnews.com

April 10, 2005

For the past year, John Cannivet said he has had to bite his tongue as he's read distorted versions of an altercation he witnessed between the lead guitarist for Rush and Collier sheriff's deputies on Dec. 31, 2003.

As an employee of The Ritz-Carlton, Naples, where the fracas occurred, he hadn't been allowed to comment, even though he saw first-hand what happened in the stairwell of the hotel.

But now that he no longer works for the hotel, he has this to say: Collier County sheriff's deputies went way too far.

"It was extreme police brutality," said Cannivet, who was the assistant manager of stewarding until leaving that job in January. "The whole time all this was going down, I'm thinking, 'God, what did these people do? It must have been something really bad.' It just bothered me."

He believes he is a neutral source, not tied to the Sheriff's Office or hotel security. When he worked at the Ritz, his office was near the stairwell. He heard a fight going on, so he went to take a look.

His description of what unfolded is very different from that given by deputies.

- - -

Best to Alex in these matters. - MitA

QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Apr 9 2005, 10:29 PM)
website

Witness: Police mistreated Rush guitarist in ruckus
By JOHN HENDERSON, jfhenderson@naplesnews.com
April 10, 2005

For the past year, John Cannivet said he has had to bite his tongue as he's read distorted versions of an altercation he witnessed between the lead guitarist for Rush and Collier sheriff's deputies on Dec. 31, 2003.

As an employee of The Ritz-Carlton, Naples, where the fracas occurred, he hadn't been allowed to comment, even though he saw first-hand what happened in the stairwell of the hotel.

But now that he no longer works for the hotel, he has this to say: Collier County sheriff's deputies went way too far.

"It was extreme police brutality," said Cannivet, who was the assistant manager of stewarding until leaving that job in January. "The whole time all this was going down, I'm thinking, 'God, what did these people do? It must have been something really bad.' It just bothered me."

He believes he is a neutral source, not tied to the Sheriff's Office or hotel security. When he worked at the Ritz, his office was near the stairwell. He heard a fight going on, so he went to take a look.

His description of what unfolded is very different from that given by deputies.

Hear hear for Rush fans! 1287.gif trink39.gif

But seriously, this is good news. I hope that the whole fiasco is resolved and Lerxst can look back on this and laugh.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 10 2005, 01:31 AM)

Hear hear for Rush fans!  1287.gif  trink39.gif

But seriously, this is good news. I hope that the whole fiasco is resolved and Lerxst can look back on this and laugh.

yes.gif Lerxt RULES! 2.gif 1022.gif AlexFinal.gif

ohmy.gif I love reading that!

mad.gif Those cops are so dispicable!!

I just want this whole thing settled and put behind us.

Don't these people know 2.gif has a record and tour to be working on in the near future?

Finally somebody who helps out. A witness who says their neutrual. Thank God.

Archived