The Manhattan Project

Indica

I remember when Rush used to play The Manahattan Project. It's not really one of my favorite rush songs or anything but I remember the video that played with the song. There was something about the song and video together that mesmerized me. I know they played it on Power windows tour but I can't remember how many other tours they played it on. But I miss that song in the setlist, I always thought back to seeing it live and really enjoying it. The part that they would show the nuclear explosion and Einstein on the screen while the keyboard parts were sounding like an orchestra or something, that was bad ASS!

I heard a few others say they didn't like this song though. I wish they would add it to the setlist as a suprize song along with a few others from the "Vault"

This song remind me of the Power Windows era and I had a lot of fun around that time.

When I was waiting in the van at the entrance to Polaris Ampitheater in Columbus, there was a kid of about 10 in the next car. The guy in the next car over asked him what his favorite Rush song was, and he said 'Manhattan Project.'

I wished they would have played that song if only for that boy.

He'll probably get a full ride to MIT to study theoretical physics. Told ya that listening to Rush makes you smarter! cool.gif

At first, I wasnt completely into the song, it just doesnt really have much bass hook to go by so I couldn't really play it all all. After I while, I began to appreciate the lyrics more, he did manage to tell his view of the topic very well considering the small bit of space you have for lyrics in the song.

I think Manhattan Project is a great song, one of my favoutrites of PW. I really love the narrative style that Neil uses in the lyrics.

Like Indica, the mesh of music and visuals struck me greatly when they played in on the HYF tour (I was there when the ASOH was filmed).

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Sep 15 2004, 07:04 PM)
There was an debate on another board about this song. One poster hated the lyrics, thinking that Peart was glorifying nuclear holocaust.

Wow, I think that is greatly misunderstanding the purpose of his lyrics. I got the impression from the song that Peart thought the scientists and politicians working towards the bomb didnt quite know what they were getting the world into by discovering it. I didnt pick up on any instances in which he was honoring the dropping of the bomb.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 16 2004, 01:41 AM)
There was an debate on another board about this song. One poster hated the lyrics, thinking that Peart was glorifying nuclear holocaust.

Wow, I think that is greatly misunderstanding the purpose of his lyrics. I got the impression from the song that Peart thought the scientists and politicians working towards the bomb didnt quite know what they were getting the world into by discovering it. I didnt pick up on any instances in which he was honoring the dropping of the bomb.

Yeah, the video that played with the song years ago told a good story. What I got out of it was, and I may be wrong.....That the scientists were too smart for their own good. hmmm I'm having a hard time explaining this.....But anyway it doesn't seem like peart was glorifying nuclear holocaust, it seems like he thought it was a mistake to make a nuclear bomb. Hmmmm maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I heard the song. What do the rest of you think?

I do remember that the song scared me a little bit once I saw it live.

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 18 2004, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 16 2004, 01:41 AM)

Yeah, the video that played with the song years ago told a good story. What I got out of it was, and I may be wrong.....That the scientists were too smart for their own good. hmmm I'm having a hard time explaining this.....But anyway it doesn't seem like peart was glorifying nuclear holocaust, it seems like he thought it was a mistake to make a nuclear bomb. Hmmmm maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I heard the song. What do the rest of you think?

I do remember that the song scared me a little bit once I saw it live.

I think your take is dead on.

There is no way Neil was glorifying the use of the atomic bombs over Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945 or in Nagasaki, Japan on August 9, 1945.

Indeed, Neil was saying that the scientists had no idea of what they had created.

And also he was questioning the morality of it.

It is one of the most powerful Rush songs ever in terms of history and morality.

The way the music and the lyrics go together in this song and paint the exact picture is something only Rush can do!

It was very emotionally moving live.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 30 2006, 05:00 PM)
There is no way Neil was glorifying the use of the atomic bombs over Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945 or in Nagasaki, Japan on August 9, 1945.

Indeed, Neil was saying that the scientists had no idea of what they had created.

And also he was questioning the morality of it.

It is one of the most powerful Rush songs ever in terms of history and morality.

The way the music and the lyrics go together in this song and paint the exact picture is something only Rush can do!

It was very emotionally moving live.

Spot on and well said EARTHSHINE yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 30 2006, 05:44 AM)
I hope the boys bring it back to the setlist next tour....As it was back then it is still very relevant song for today's world climate...

Very true. It would be interesting to see how they would arrange the instrumentaion of the song. I would imaging it would be even more powerful like Force Ten from R30.

QUOTE (Netboy @ Jul 30 2006, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 30 2006, 05:44 AM)
I hope the boys bring it back to the setlist next tour....As it was back then it is still very relevant song for today's world climate...

Very true. It would be interesting to see how they would arrange the instrumentaion of the song. I would imaging it would be even more powerful like Force Ten from R30.

Like Red Lenses ansJames Bond movies, after the fall of the Soviet Union, the songs went out of vougue biggrin.gif

I found the song to be very good on what I consider to be a generally underrated album.

how about Peaceable Kingdom and Manhattan Project back to back live?

There's a statement.

Archived