Rush songs you don't like

PuppetKing2112

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 9 2005, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 9 2005, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Apr 9 2005, 05:42 PM)
Nor do I dig Fountain of Lamneth

That's impossible.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif How?!?!?! That's such an amazing song.

Sorry guys....... I just don't like it. We all have different tastes, right? In my opinion, Caress Of Steel is incredible except for this.

That's just my taste, you don't have to agree or understand.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. This is shocking. You people don't like "Rivendell"? Someone doesn't like "The Fountain of Lamneth"? "Anagram (For Mongo)"? I can't believe it.

Well here's my list:

Best I Can

Lessons and Tears

Countdown

Scars

You Bet Your Life

Half the World and Carve Away the Stone

Peaceable Kingdom

A lot of songs took a long time to grow on me, and that's especially true of those on Vapor Trails.

[This post has been edited for spelling.]

QUOTE (gopherman @ Apr 10 2005, 11:31 AM)
Okay - some of you are listing Virtuality. I agree, the lyrics are not superb. However, it will go down in history as a good period piece. Therefore, I can't put it on the list. Besides, it is fantastic when played loud - really loud.

A Passage to Bangkok (sacriledge! I hear you say) - also better when played really loud - is my nominee for the list. I don't think the guys are really suited for drug lyrics.

But that's the thing - they are very suited for drug lyrics. They were, anyway.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 10 2005, 12:59 PM)
Wow. This is shocking. You people don't like "Rivendell"? Someone doesn't like "The Fountain of Lamneth"? "Anagram (For Mongo)"? I can't believe it.

Well here's my list:
Best I Can
Lessons
and Tears
Countdown
Scars
You Bet Your Life
Half the World
and Carve Away the Stone
Peaceable Kingdom

A lot of songs took a long time to grow on me, and that's especially true of those on Vapor Trails.

[This post has been edited for spelling.]

I have never liked Rivendell, and I have had that album since 1975 ... but countdown and Peaceable Kingdom are two of my favs. That is what makes this topic interesting.

QUOTE (Cygnus_X1 @ Apr 10 2005, 04:16 PM)
Seems Tears is generally disliked!

I love Tears ... but I undestand why some wouldn't like it. Btw, that was written by Ged, lyrics and words. I would like them to do an acoustic version on tour.

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Apr 10 2005, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 9 2005, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 9 2005, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Apr 9 2005, 05:42 PM)
Nor do I dig Fountain of Lamneth

That's impossible.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif How?!?!?! That's such an amazing song.

Sorry guys....... I just don't like it. We all have different tastes, right? In my opinion, Caress Of Steel is incredible except for this.

That's just my taste, you don't have to agree or understand.

It's cool. Yes, we all have different tastes. That's why I don't understand. laugh.gif

Any live Peart solo if I am not in the mood for it

The Pass from Presto. I know the band love it but when I hear the bass at the start I press 'Next track'.

Secret touch - Get bored with 'The way out is the waaaahay in' bit

That's it I think

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 10 2005, 07:56 PM)
I forgot to mention Freewill. I never really liked Geddy's singing on the last verse. Too high-pitched.

Wow ... that is one of my favorite RUSH moments. A true classic Ged vocal.

Me too...Freewill is in up there in my favourite songs...The guitar solo is just......drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif It is just unbelieveable...Great song, from a great album!

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

It's funny because when I first started getting into Rush when I was young, I would skip over songs -- like Double Agent and By-Tor (I know!) but..hey, I was like 10. Now I love them...

BUT...I don't think I will EVER like Red Lenses. I've tried. I can't do it. Ever.

Some other I tend to skip over -- dont not like them, but need to really want to listen to an album in it's entirety to play them:

ok, I admit I'm not playing the first album very much...

Rivendell

Think I'm Going Bald

Different Strings -- like it but need to be in the mood for it.

Kid Gloves (not a GUP fan, lol)

Superconductor -- used to like this a lot, but not so much anymore

Speed of Love

Time and Motion

Ghost Rider -- ok....I REALLY want to like this song....but for soem reason, I can't. I want to like it because of it's meaning, but it never gets me like it should. Especially live. I know many might disagree, which is fine.

Oh...and don't knock Mission! JK...to each his own biggrin.gif

I can't say I don't like any of their songs but their are a few that do absolutely nothing for me and they are: Animate, Test For Echo, Rivendell. I like one Little Victory okay but for some reason it doesn't move me much. There are a few I feel so-so about but the majority I just love.

even though i dont love every Rush Song...it is still unsettling to see some of the songs some people do not like.....but hey its been said before: to each his own.

Ok, here's the deal with "The Pass": I was never particularly into it until Rush in Rio. I always thought that it was a rather empty song, especially alongside some really great Presto tracks like "Chain Lightning," "Anagram (For Mongo)" and "Red Tide." But the way they performed "The Pass" on RiR gave me a totally new perspective. It was like hearing the song for the first time, understanding it for the first time. I should mention I experienced the same thing with "Resist." That's just the way it is sometimes - the studio version doesn't quite capture the essence of a track, but in concert the full force bursts forth. Anyway, now I really appreciate both "The Pass" and "Resist," as well as a myriad of others.

[Edited for effect.]

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 11 2005, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 9 2005, 07:24 PM)
Least favorites? I have none.

I stand by my original post.

But! do you like all the songs on Ged's and Alex's solo albums?

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 11 2005, 04:23 AM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 11 2005, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 9 2005, 07:24 PM)
Least favorites? I have none.

I stand by my original post.

But! do you like all the songs on Ged's and Alex's solo albums?

Surprisingly, yes.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 11 2005, 06:36 AM)
Ok, here's the deal with "The Pass": I was never particularly into it until Rush in Rio. I always thought that it was a rather empty song, especially alongside some really great Presto tracks like "Chain Lightning," "Anagram (For Mongo)" and "Red Tide." But the way they performed "The Pass" on RiR gave me a totally new perspective. It was like hearing the song for the first time, understanding it for the first time.

That mirrors my experience exactly

Archived