The Meaning of the Title "2112"

Snyder80

I realize most people on these forums probably already know this but I grow increasingly annoyed at people who try to convince me that 2112 is called that because the song is 21:12 long. Not so. At the end of the song during the Grand Finale when the voice repeats "ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION, WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL." each line is repeated 3 times and if you break it down, here's what you get...

ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION-7

ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION-14

ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION-21

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL-4

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL-8

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL-12

Ending up with 21 words from the first phrase and 12 from the second. Hence the title, 2112.

Sorry to be so overly scientific with a Rush song but unless I'm out of my mind, that's how they came up with that title.

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 13 2010, 04:42 PM)
I realize most people on these forums probably already know this but I grow increasingly annoyed at people who try to convince me that 2112 is called that because the song is 21:12 long. Not so. At the end of the song during the Grand Finale when the voice repeats "ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION, WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL." each line is repeated 3 times and if you break it down, here's what you get...

Ending up with 21 words from the first phrase and 12 from the second. Hence the title, 2112.

Sorry to be so overly scientific with a Rush song but unless I'm out of my mind, that's how they came up with that title.

Uh, I think it was more of a play on the 1812 Overture, the melody of which Alex quotes briefly in Overture.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 13 2010, 05:48 PM)
Uh, I think it was more of a play on the 1812 Overture, the melody of which Alex quotes briefly in Overture.

Neat pattern you've found, but 1812 was almost certainly the reason.

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 13 2010, 01:42 PM)

0_o

Even if thats not how they got the name. Pretty bad ass either way 1022.gif 2.gif

That's not the reason why it's called that, it's a coincidence (albeit one that may have been planned).

It's named that because it takes place in the year 2112, and the reason that it takes place in the year 2112 is that it's a reference to the year 1812, and it needed to be set in the future.

TWenty-something TWelve is an alliteration that I'm sure was at the forefront of the decision.

2012 (not far enough in the future)

The one they picked had the added benefit of being a palindrome, almost certainly making it the clear choice.

There are a lot of 2112-related coincidences and intentional easter eggs throughout the years since it was released.

Hmmmm....Streeeeeettttttccccchhh. I think that they named it 2112 because it looks cooler in purple letters than 7874 which would be how their numbers are represented on the phone pad. Besides, 1984 and 2001 were already taken.

Actually, it just happens to be 100 years after the prophesized end of the world by the Mayan in 2012. Hence 2012+ 100 = 2112, also the war of 1812 as previously stated comes to play. 2112 being 300 years after. 100 years for each member of Rush! The number of words at the end of Finale were created after the year was already in mind. Very Clever though!

Also 2+1=3 and 1+2=3 and we all know Rush is all about the numbr 3!

Neil is a Genious!

1022.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 13 2010, 10:35 PM)
Actually, it just happens to be 100 years after the prophesized end of the world by the Mayan in 2012. Hence 2012+ 100 = 2112, also the war of 1812 as previously stated comes to play. 2112 being 300 years after. 100 years for each member of Rush! The number of words at the end of Finale were created after the year was already in mind. Very Clever though!

Neil is a Genious!

1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Fun with numbers!

Greetings Professor Peart. Shall-We-Play-A-Game?

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jul 13 2010, 02:49 PM)
FLY BY NIGHT IS A SONG ABOUT THE SECRET GOVERNMENT FUNDING OF RESEARCH INTO CREATING CIRCULAR, ROTATING AIR SHIPS! IT'S COMMON KNOWLEDGE!

Did you know that 2112 backwards is 2112? wacko.gif

1812 backwards is 2181. That is when the world really will be blown up!

Luckily all of us will be dead.

Or will we?

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 13 2010, 10:35 PM)

Neil is a Genious!

1022.gif

Neil is indeed the man.

The fact that Geddy Lee has said 2112 was their anger album I think speaks volumes about how powerful this song was; and I don't think it's a coincidence that the lines at the end are each spoken 3 times. And I think the line Attention all planets of the solar federation; we have assume control is kind of a tongue in cheek way of the band members telling the record company to eat shit.

unsure.gif

Nice little numerology trick, but there are probably dozens of others you could play around with and also get the desired "2112" result. This was NOT why the band chose "2112" as the year for their story.

I suppose you also believe Pink Floyd intentionally meant for "Dark Side of the Moon" to sync with "Wizard of Oz."

I always thought that 2112 came from the mayan calendar also. December 21, 2012. 12/21/12 "2112"

smile.gif who knows.

Archived