U2 Fans

GhostGirl

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Apr 12 2005, 05:30 PM)
Actually that is a timbale not a snare drum. A timbale is a latin open bottom drum, usually made of metal. Neil had two wooden timbales made for Moving Pictures (he used a single brass timbale on Permanent Waves, Hemispheres and Farewell to Kings).

biggrin.gif

Well, don't *I* feel like a dumb bunny now...

How could I have mixed up a snare and a timbale? How embarrassing...and after trying to say all that NICE stuff about the band, too...

doh.gif

Oh, and Cyg? nasty.gif

No way you shaved your head. Nice try. cool.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 12 2005, 06:30 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 10 2005, 03:20 PM)
U2 has to be the most overrated band in music history.

Except for maybe REM or Radiohead.

I think that honour goes to Led Zeppelin

You've gotta be kidding me sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 13 2005, 12:49 AM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 12 2005, 06:30 AM)

I think that honour goes to Led Zeppelin

You've gotta be kidding me sarcasm.gif

I'm not. I can't stand them. Everyone else seems to worship them, but they're just average musicians who had amazing commercial success.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Apr 13 2005, 12:40 AM)
All gone. Chromus Domus.
Really.
tongue.gif

Horsehockey.

nasty.gif

And while I respect everyone's right to discuss who the most over-rated band in music history might be...THIS thread is about U2. biggrin.gif Granted, some of you think U2 fits the bill there...

Anyhoo...I like 'em. smile.gif

U2 are ok. Despite being more than a little pretentious. They did have a certain influence on Rush in the 80's, as did the Police.

I remember U2 on early Mtv and thinking they were pretty lame new wavers. I Will Follow and the like. I liked New Year's Day. They seemed to grow quickly, well at least the song writing and arranging. The Joshua Tree stuff is great. I feel like they have gotten a bit formulaic in recent years, though my only referrence is local radio, and we all know how great radio is.

I have seen the setlist for their current tour and don't recognize alomost half of it, so they will continue to not get my money.

How do horses play hockey? Who put's their skates on?

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 13 2005, 02:55 PM)
All gone. Chromus Domus.
Really.
tongue.gif

Horsehockey.

nasty.gif

And while I respect everyone's right to discuss who the most over-rated band in music history might be...THIS thread is about U2. biggrin.gif Granted, some of you think U2 fits the bill there...

Sorry!

U2 is my second favorite band (to 2.gif of course!) so I'm extremely disappointed that I couldn't get tickets to any of their 4 Toronto concerts.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 13 2005, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 13 2005, 02:55 PM)
All gone. Chromus Domus.
Really.
tongue.gif

Horsehockey.

nasty.gif

Sorry!

U2 is my second favorite band (to 2.gif of course!) so I'm extremely disappointed that I couldn't get tickets to any of their 4 Toronto concerts.

No problem! biggrin.gif

I was just joking...

I'm glad to meet another U2 fan. smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Apr 13 2005, 08:30 PM)
U2 are ok. Despite being more than a little pretentious. They did have a certain influence on Rush in the 80's, as did the Police.
I remember U2 on early Mtv and thinking they were pretty lame new wavers. I Will Follow and the like. I liked New Year's Day. They seemed to grow quickly, well at least the song writing and arranging. The Joshua Tree stuff is great. I feel like they have gotten a bit formulaic in recent years, though my only referrence is local radio, and we all know how great radio is.
I have seen the setlist for their current tour and don't recognize alomost half of it, so they will continue to not get my money.

The Joshua Tree is one of the best albums of all time...period. smile.gif

Achtung Baby is an amazing album, as well...what a transformation. And I'm in the minority amongst U2 fans, I think...I really liked Pop, which is easily their most criticized album.

And Cyg? Their TRAINERS do it, of course...thilly...

Yes, I really like HTDAAB as well...it's better than ATYCLB to me. I'll always, always be a fan of U2, but I have to admit I miss the magical years spanning The Joshua Tree - Achtung - Zooropa. To watch a band undergo a metamorphosis (while remaining unquestionably U2) as evidenced in those albums is an incredible experience. From the youthful idealism and love of the dream that was America to a more mature and cynical view of the world...I wish I could've grown up as effectively as U2 did. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 12 2005, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (war2112 @ Apr 12 2005, 02:24 AM)
OK, way off-topic here, but that's really one of Neil's snares, GG? Where did you get that?

Yes, it really was Neil's snare. smile.gif

Yeah, I put that pic in my sig...I just HAD to! smile.gif

So, the story...my friend CygnusX-1Bk2 plays bass in a fantastic Rush tribute band called Trilogy (in the SF Bay area). That's him with the amazing hair, singing, playing keyboards AND bass. smile.gif

Oh, I guess it's a timbale. I'm just a neophyte when it comes to instruments and all. It's very cool that you actually have it in your hands. Thanks for sharing the story, GG. By the way, against my better judgement (which almost always loses anyhow) I'd have to say it looks even better in your arms than Neil's! That's just me, the irrepressible lech talking, GG. Don't take offense and I swear I'll stop.

Actually, if U2 were ever formulaic, it was in their earlier years. After all, they were considered part of that "new-wave" movement although they never really quite fit that mold. I would recommend The Unforgettable Fire or Zooropa to see just how they went way out of bounds, so to speak. Just my two cents and I certainly respect your opinion as I know many people have voiced your same sentiments.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 13 2005, 10:53 PM)

The Joshua Tree is one of the best albums of all time...period. smile.gif

Achtung Baby is an amazing album, as well...what a transformation. And I'm in the minority amongst U2 fans, I think...I really liked Pop, which is easily their most criticized album.

And Cyg? Their TRAINERS do it, of course...thilly...

I think you know I'm with you on this one, GG. I was absolutely, completely, and irretrievably floored when I first heard Pop and I still maintain that it is a master stroke, if not a masterpiece. I knew (really I did, if only you could ask my friends) that after Achtung Baby would come metal or disco. I knew there was no other way for them to go. I felt really validated when I saw Bono say that they were losing their marbles after the whole Zoo TV experience and that they were either going to go raw or completely disco. It was a new kind of disco, though, replete with signature U2 nuances. Anyway, it was a great transformation. U2 is not the same old band. They have indeed evolved much like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and of course RUSH.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 10 2005, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 10 2005, 04:26 PM)

I agree about U2 (sorry GG) ... although I like their early stuff ... and I will likely catch them this tour as they put on a good show.

I completely disagree that they are the most overrated band...but, whatever.

ES...if you're able to get tickets, and you think they're overrated, then that SUCKS!!! tongue.gif I really really love them, and I want tickets SO bad, and I can't find any...

Oh, the irony...

unsure.gif

Overrated doesn't mean I don't like them. Please smile.gif

We have till November ... I am sure we will make it to the show. Give me some time smile.gif

QUOTE (war2112 @ Apr 15 2005, 05:07 PM)
OK, way off-topic here, but that's really one of Neil's snares, GG? Where did you get that?

So, the story...my friend CygnusX-1Bk2 plays bass in a fantastic Rush tribute band called Trilogy (in the SF Bay area). That's him with the amazing hair, singing, playing keyboards AND bass. smile.gif

Oh, I guess it's a timbale. I'm just a neophyte when it comes to instruments and all. It's very cool that you actually have it in your hands. Thanks for sharing the story, GG. By the way, against my better judgement (which almost always loses anyhow) I'd have to say it looks even better in your arms than Neil's! That's just me, the irrepressible lech talking, GG. Don't take offense and I swear I'll stop.

No offense taken smile.gif

Oh, and does that mean that if I DID take offense, you'd keep going?

laugh.gif Tee hee... I appreciate your nice words, and you've been quite a gentleman...not an irrepressible lech at all.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 17 2005, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 10 2005, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 10 2005, 04:26 PM)

I agree about U2 (sorry GG) ... although I like their early stuff ... and I will likely catch them this tour as they put on a good show.

I completely disagree that they are the most overrated band...but, whatever.

ES...if you're able to get tickets, and you think they're overrated, then that SUCKS!!! tongue.gif I really really love them, and I want tickets SO bad, and I can't find any...

Oh, the irony...

unsure.gif

Overrated doesn't mean I don't like them. Please smile.gif

We have till November ... I am sure we will make it to the show. Give me some time smile.gif

Okay...get back to me on that.

biggrin.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/U2/index.jpg

Dayum!!! Every ONE of 'em lookin' tasty there.

drool1.gif

tongue.gif

*runs back to NWW forum*

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 18 2005, 03:54 PM)
Adam's bass! drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif

Yeah...uh huh...

That's what I was looking at, too...

firedevil.gif

tempted.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 18 2005, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (war2112 @ Apr 15 2005, 05:07 PM)

No offense taken smile.gif

Oh, and does that mean that if I DID take offense, you'd keep going?

laugh.gif Tee hee... I appreciate your nice words, and you've been quite a gentleman...not an irrepressible lech at all.

laugh.gif That would fit the logical progression of my sentence, wouldn't it? I guess I meant to say, "Don't take offense and I promise (yeah, right wink.gif ) that whether you do or don't take offense I will stop". I'm happy that you have not and even happier that you called me a gentleman. That sounds so much better than stalker tongue.gif !

I'm not stalking you, though, just giving you your just reward for tantalizing us all with your pic! Oh, wait a minute, you didn't intice us (or me) at all. That picture was not in the public domain but part of your profile! Alas, that means I am a lech after all. Oh, and proud (kinda) of it, too! wink.gif

Archived