U2 Fans

GhostGirl

I tried to dig up an old U2 thread, but lost patience...so I'm starting a new one. smile.gif

For my fellow U2 fans, you can view a 30 minute clip of their Hall of Fame induction from last month here: U2.com. They were inducted by Bruce Springsteen, which is kinda cool.

Anyway, I'm watching it now, just thought I'd share.

smile.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, GG. I read an article in the USA Today about opening night of their tour in San Diego. They closed out the night with "40" with each of them leaving the stage (Bono last) while the audience continued to sing...

"how long, to sing this song"

I got major goosebumps just thinking about it. Is that totally cool or what? I can't wait to see' em.

Two shows later this month at Key Arena. Tickets went on sale early February and were sold out within a couple hours, if I heard correctly.

The only thing I know of that sold out faster here recently was the Tsunami Aid concert with a reunited Alice In Chains (minus Layne Staley, of course). Smaller venue, and the tickets were gone within 15 minutes.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Apr 9 2005, 03:37 AM)
Thanks, GG. I read an article in the USA Today about opening night of their tour in San Diego. They closed out the night with "40" with each of them leaving the stage (Bono last) while the audience continued to sing...

I got major goosebumps just thinking about it. Is that totally cool or what? I can't wait to see' em.

Do you have tickets already? I screwed around and waited too long, now I'm sure I won't get to see them. And I was determined to see them this tour...a bunch of CRAP in my life kept me from staying on top of this, and now...WAAAAHHHHH!!!! fists crying.gif

I feel like 062802puke_prv.gif now...U2 are easily in my top 5 favorite bands.

Oh, and the "40" thing is too cool...they haven't ended shows like that in a long time. I was just watching "Red Rocks" last night---they did that then (with Adam on guitar and Edge on bass), and it DOES give one chills...

They've changed the setlist for every show so far, which I find very refreshing! They add and remove songs, shuffle the songs around, and arrange some songs differently from night to night. The first four shows are in heavy circulation amongst traders already, and they sound great! Highly recommended unless you're saving yourself for the concert. I can't justify paying that much for a concert, so I'll stick with bootlegs unless I win tickets.......of course, I still have several months to change my mind laugh.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Apr 9 2005, 09:29 AM)
They've changed the setlist for every show so far, which I find very refreshing! They add and remove songs, shuffle the songs around, and arrange some songs differently from night to night. The first four shows are in heavy circulation amongst traders already, and they sound great! Highly recommended unless you're saving yourself for the concert. I can't justify paying that much for a concert, so I'll stick with bootlegs unless I win tickets.......of course, I still have several months to change my mind laugh.gif

And how might one particularly eager fan get her paws on these boots?

*BIG SMILE*

cool.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 9 2005, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Apr 9 2005, 09:29 AM)
They've changed the setlist for every show so far, which I find very refreshing!  They add and remove songs, shuffle the songs around, and arrange some songs differently from night to night.  The first four shows are in heavy circulation amongst traders already, and they sound great!  Highly recommended unless you're saving yourself for the concert.  I can't justify paying that much for a concert, so I'll stick with bootlegs unless I win tickets.......of course, I still have several months to change my mind laugh.gif

And how might one particularly eager fan get her paws on these boots?

*BIG SMILE*

cool.gif

I've got the first show only which is a very good recording. I could mail it to you, but be warned... I'm VERY slow to get the cds to the post office.

Thanks, Barn, but someone else picked up on my oh-so-subtle hint and has come to the rescue. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 9 2005, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (war2112 @ Apr 9 2005, 03:37 AM)

Do you have tickets already? I screwed around and waited too long, now I'm sure I won't get to see them. And I was determined to see them this tour...a bunch of CRAP in my life kept me from staying on top of this, and now...WAAAAHHHHH!!!! fists crying.gif

I feel like 062802puke_prv.gif now...U2 are easily in my top 5 favorite bands.

Oh, and the "40" thing is too cool...they haven't ended shows like that in a long time. I was just watching "Red Rocks" last night---they did that then (with Adam on guitar and Edge on bass), and it DOES give one chills...

You know, I don't have tickets yet either and I think perhaps I should have been on the ball. I was just waiting to see if they were going to be in Indy because they usually stop here. I didn't get tickets for the Chicago show because I hate dealing with Chicago traffic. Shoot, looks like I'm going to be in the same boat you are.

Good mention on the Live at Red Rocks tape. I actually have that. I got a copy at a garage sale for 25 cents a long time ago. I haven't watched it in ages and I forgot they ended that show that way. I'd love to see them at Red Rocks of all places. That place seems to have the perfect atmosphere for a U2 show even if it is a smaller venue. They also did "I Will Follow" out there in San Diego. Gosh, I'd love to see that live.

I'm with you. They have always been in my top 5 since The Unforgettable Fire. Then Achtung Baby came out and blasted them up there right behind Rush and there they have stayed. They really are an incredible band, full of energy and emotional power.

I have a little anecdote for you that I'm sure you'll appreciate. I played that live version of "Bad" (ok, got goosebumps now) for a friend a couple of days after it was released. I said "well, whatja think". He said, "man, that was BAD". I did not tell him the title of the song! You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that was the title. His jaw hit the floor and stayed there for a little while! laugh.gif

Yes, U2's performance at Red Rocks remains, to me, one of the most amazing live performances I've ever seen. The atmosphere was just incredible.

My favorite U2-related anecdote involves my then 6 year old son. I've posted this before, but a couple of you might've missed it, and that would be a shame. wink.gif We were in the car and singing along to "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and I was able to finally hear what he was singing at the "I believe in the Kingdom come..." part...

"I believe....in the King of Kong..."

And yes, he still does it. I can't bear to correct him.

wub.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 10 2005, 03:20 PM)
U2 has to be the most overrated band in music history.

Except for maybe REM or Radiohead.

I agree about U2 (sorry GG) ... although I like their early stuff ... and I will likely catch them this tour as they put on a good show.

Concerning REM, I completely disagree. I also like Radiohead but don't understand why they get so much critical acclaim.

typo

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 10 2005, 04:26 PM)

I agree about U2 (sorry GG) ... although I like their early stuff ... and I will likely catch them this tour as they put on a good show.

I completely disagree that they are the most overrated band...but, whatever.

ES...if you're able to get tickets, and you think they're overrated, then that SUCKS!!! tongue.gif I really really love them, and I want tickets SO bad, and I can't find any...

Oh, the irony...

unsure.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 10 2005, 08:37 AM)
wink.gif We were in the car and singing along to "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and I was able to finally hear what he was singing at the "I believe in the Kingdom come..." part...

wub.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif That's so funny!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 10 2005, 08:37 AM)
Yes, U2's performance at Red Rocks remains, to me, one of the most amazing live performances I've ever seen. The atmosphere was just incredible.

My favorite U2-related anecdote involves my then 6 year old son. I've posted this before, but a couple of you might've missed it, and that would be a shame. wink.gif We were in the car and singing along to "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and I was able to finally hear what he was singing at the "I believe in the Kingdom come..." part...

wub.gif

laugh.gif

How adorable!!

My girls can name all members of 2.gif But, they call Geddy MaGeddy... laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 10 2005, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 10 2005, 04:26 PM)

I completely disagree that they are the most overrated band...but, whatever.

ES...if you're able to get tickets, and you think they're overrated, then that SUCKS!!! tongue.gif I really really love them, and I want tickets SO bad, and I can't find any...

Oh, the irony...

unsure.gif

Oh, you are so right. The irony! Remember, GG, most people who think they are over-rated have probably never heard songs like "Lemon" or "Wire" (just two that popped into my head). It probably wouldn't make any difference, but I think they are actually not given enough credit for what they do. I'm not a musician, but Larry Mullen Jr. seems to be a fantastic drummer. He and Adam Clayton really pin down a steady backbeat that allows room for Bono and the Edge to soar. O well, I'm only preaching to the choir (that would be you).

I guess what I'm trying to say is - I agree to disagree with U2's detractors. There have been occasions where they have been so overlooked. For instance, the Pop album and the Pop-Mart tour was twenty years ahead of it's time. Just you wait, ten years from now, they will all be copying that.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Apr 12 2005, 02:24 AM)
OK, way off-topic here, but that's really one of Neil's snares, GG? Where did you get that?

Yes, it really was Neil's snare. smile.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Cali%20Trip/Pict0042.jpg

Yeah, I put that pic in my sig...I just HAD to! smile.gif

So, the story...my friend CygnusX-1Bk2 plays bass in a fantastic Rush tribute band called Trilogy (in the SF Bay area). That's him with the amazing hair, singing, playing keyboards AND bass. smile.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Cali%20Trip/Pict0047.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Cali%20Trip/Pict0048.jpg

Adam, the drummer, won Neil's first Modern Drummer contest back in '82...he won Neil's PW/MP/ESL kit. (That's not it in the pic, obviously...he doesn't use it for rehearsals). Cyg has told the whole story somewhere on the board, I think. So ANYWAYS...when I was in California last month, I was able to see Trilogy rehearse (with RR, 1-0-0-1, Earthshine and Digital Man), and Adam, having heard from Cyg what a Neil-freak a certain someone was, brought one of the drums for me to lay hands upon. wink.gif I grabbed the photo op: me as a roadie, with Adam's hand-me-down drum. smile.gif It was a great moment, which should give you a clue about how thrilling my life is. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

EDIT: I have completely hijacked my own thread. So, let me say something about U2, to maintain the theme...

Larry Mullen is a good drummer, but he ain't no Adam...Adam Roderick...you know, from Trilogy. There. tongue.gif

Actually that is a timbale not a snare drum. A timbale is a latin open bottom drum, usually made of metal. Neil had two wooden timbales made for Moving Pictures (he used a single brass timbale on Permanent Waves, Hemispheres and Farewell to Kings).

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Apr 12 2005, 02:30 PM)
Oh, and I have since shaved my head! tongue.gif

Man, I hope you're jokin', if not we're gonna hear the scream all the way from the deep south. wink.gif

Archived