Chris Langone's Explanation

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#41 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 10 2010, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (chrislangone @ Jul 10 2010, 04:39 PM)
3.  I would love to go see RUSH in New York or Toronto next week, but don't have the money to buy new tickets because I cannot get a refund of the $480 I already spent. If refunded the money (or even permitted an exchange) I would buy new tix for a show I can go to, but Live Nation does not allow this.

7.  For legal reasons I was required to sue the band, because they are the princpal and Live Nation is the agent. If RUSH directs Live Nation to issue refunds, then I am advised Live Nation will be obligated to do so. All I want is my $480 back (and it is a class action - so others who are similarly situated should get their money back too).

I just checked, and the fine print on the back of my Live Nation Rush tickets states:

1.  The event date and time is subject to change.
2.  Live Nation is not obligated to issue a refund for cancelled/rescheduled events if they give you the right within 12 months to 1) attend the rescheduled event or 2) exchange your ticket for a "comparable" event.

Didn't you (and all of us) agree to these terms when you bought your tickets?  As a lawyer, can you please explain?

Also, you are a lawyer and own your own law firm, but cannot afford another $500 for Rush tickets for Toronto (if this is truly what you want)?

The fact that he's a lawyer with his own firm doesn't mean he's getting up every morning and going out to pick C-notes off the money tree in his backyard.  

But uh, yeah, the fine print on the ticket back does seem to be pretty clear.  

Sponsored Post

#42 WCFIELDS

WCFIELDS

I'd rather be in Philadelphia

• Members *
  • 8740 posts
  • Interests:Computers<br>Music<br>Work<br>

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 10 2010, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE (chrislangone @ Jul 10 2010, 04:39 PM)
3.  I would love to go see RUSH in New York or Toronto next week, but don't have the money to buy new tickets because I cannot get a refund of the $480 I already spent. If refunded the money (or even permitted an exchange) I would buy new tix for a show I can go to, but Live Nation does not allow this.

7.  For legal reasons I was required to sue the band, because they are the princpal and Live Nation is the agent. If RUSH directs Live Nation to issue refunds, then I am advised Live Nation will be obligated to do so. All I want is my $480 back (and it is a class action - so others who are similarly situated should get their money back too).

I just checked, and the fine print on the back of my Live Nation Rush tickets states:

1.  The event date and time is subject to change.
2.  Live Nation is not obligated to issue a refund for cancelled/rescheduled events if they give you the right within 12 months to 1) attend the rescheduled event or 2) exchange your ticket for a "comparable" event.

I think it's bullshit and he should get refunded, but that is pretty clearly written.....and is going to be tough/impossible to beat it.

#43 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

Oh hey, I agree - I have NO issue with the fact that he wants a refund of the ticket price.  I really don't see why Live Nation have to be such hard-asses about it.  

Travel costs are a different matter.  Sorry, but I don't think you're entitled to any more than the ticket price.  

#44 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 10 2010, 08:01 PM)
I hope you win this Chris, and from what I'm reading, it should be a slam dunk.  

The ticket promised a rain or shine show.  By doing so, they infer that they will do anything and everything in their power to make it happen, and you just have to brave the weather.  You were ready to live up to your end of it, and they failed at keeping their end of the CONTRACT.  

Is it Rush's fault?  Indirectly, yes.  They have full control of this and should be more knowledgable about what's going on at these venues.  It had nothing to do with the lie about another incoming storm, it was about the venue's inability to keep the equiptment and wires up to snuff to proceed with a RAIN OR SHINE show.  I don't see where the problem people seem to be having with this is coming from.  

I'd be damned pissed if this had happened to me.  2.gif may be millionaires, but their fans are not all in the same boat as they.  You want to see them, and you can NOT make the rescheduled show, and should NOT be forced into doing so in the first place.  Another part of the contract is the date of the event.  THAT is the night that you were free to pay for this ticket and attend.  NOT a rescheduled event months later.  I see no reason why fans should be treated this way and I hope that 2.gif gets wind of this and makes it right.  

It's total BS Chris.  You deserve your money back so you can go enjoy your favorite band ON YOUR TERMS, not when they say you can.  Why should you have to sell your tix on ebay and go through all that BS.  It's a simple thing.  Give the guy his money back for the event that they could not pull off, that was again... a RAIN OR SHINE event.  

Good luck Chris, and keep us posted.  trink39.gif  

Necro

So you've never been to a show that was cancelled? Come on dude. It happens quite often. And I'm sure Rush will reschedule. It was cancelled do to weather,nothing they could do. How the f**k can you blame the band?

#45 trenken

trenken

Ray Of Sunshine

• Members
  • 3703 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

IF you are going to travel like that to an outdoor concert, you're taking a huge risk. I would never travel over maybe 2 hours by car to any outdoor concert, but then again, im smart.

This case will get thrown out and you wont get a dime. they have the right to cancel shows for safety reasons you know. It's not for the bands safety, its for yours. There was lightning, they dont want thousands of ppl standing out there. They did the right thing genius.

#46 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

A lawyer suing for 500.00. laugh.gif  Sh**, the dude will be living on the streets in no time!! tongue.gif

Edited by troutman, 10 July 2010 - 09:09 PM.

#47 DetachedandSubdivided

DetachedandSubdivided

The Seeker

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

I totally agree with Chris in regards to the ticket refund. It's about time SOMEONE with the means and stones to stand up to Ticketmaster/Stubhub/LiveNation/Etc did so. In this case, his detail of events are right on the money - they opened up long enough to sell merch and food/drink, then cancelled the show. A non-show should mean a refund. Plain and simple. In 99% of the businesses across the globe, there wouldn't even be a discussion.

I myself am concerned, too. While I could make a re-schedule, I haven't seen where they are going to re-schedule (yet). To the folks who keep saying they'll do it - how sure are you?

As for the 'fine print' - that doesn't always hold-up in court. The FRONT of the ticket (bigger print) says "Rain or Shine" - pretty clear and simple. Even if the 'fine print' is upheld, that renders the front of the ticket obviously misleading and at the very least, confusing. Chris could definitely have a point there.

The funny thing is - for folks who just want their money back - that's all they really want - the money they paid to the company. They simply want to be treated fairly, and come to a 'break even' point with LiveNation or whoever. If the band does not reschedule, I'd expect my ticket money back. Otherwise, LiveNation is just receiving free money for sending a guy out on stage to announce the cancellation? Silly.

Now, Chris wanting any additional funds back might be a lot harder to persuade out of a judge. How many people go to a baseball game that is rained-out? Do they ever receive reimbursement for their travel expenses? LiveNation was not responsible for our gas money/taxi fees/airfare/lodging etc. They are responsible for providing the venue for the band to perform - anything else is incidental to that and probably rests on our shoulders, no matter what happens.

But at the very least, I do agree that the ticket-prices should be refunded (especially if there is no rescheduled date), and if Ticketmaster/Stubhub had ANY integrity - they'd do it without hesitation.

I do find it hilarious how some folks instantly come to the defense of the band - as great as they are, they are not our "friends" or "buddies". Try to set aside the fascination and hero-worship, and put yourselves in the shoes of the damaged party. If it happened to you at your show after you spent all the time and energy to get to it - would YOU really be ok with a no-show - and no refund?

Just my 2 coppers, tho.

Good luck, Chris. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

#48 DetachedandSubdivided

DetachedandSubdivided

The Seeker

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 10 2010, 08:41 PM)
IF you are going to travel like that to an outdoor concert, you're taking a huge risk. I would never travel over maybe 2 hours by car to any outdoor concert, but then again, im smart.

This case will get thrown out and you wont get a dime. they have the right to cancel shows for safety reasons you know. It's not for the bands safety, its for yours. There was lightning, they dont want thousands of ppl standing out there. They did the right thing genius.

Sure, they have the right to cancel - but NOT the right to keep your cash and run off with it.

There's a bit of a difference there. wink.gif

I was at the show - I don't blame them for cancelling (whoever's decision it was is irrelevant to me). BUT, if they decided not to perform, a ticket refund is just plain common sense (barring a rescheduled event).

If they reschedule and our tickets are still valid, then I think Chris may easily be on the losing end of it. But if they don't reschedule, then I think it makes perfect sense that refunds are granted.

#49 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's Itβ„’ Sig

• Members
  • 15992 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

Isn't stub hub a reseller?  If so I don't see how to expect the money back.

#50 DetachedandSubdivided

DetachedandSubdivided

The Seeker

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 10 2010, 08:56 PM)
Isn't stub hub a reseller?  If so I don't see how to expect the money back.

StubHub guarantees their tickets - or so their website says.

If a show is cancelled, they have a refund policy which also includes fees charged for using their service.

Direct from their website - "When an event is cancelled or a contingent event is not played, we'll send you an email to let you know. Return your tickets within 2 weeks of receiving our email and we'll fully refund the cost of the tickets plus all service and delivery fees. Please allow us 3 weeks to process your refund.

Return tickets to:
SH Return Center
2525 McKinnon Street
Suite 590
Dallas, TX 75201

Note: If you received your tickets electronically, you do not need to take any action. We will send you an email with your refund information."

#51 losingit2k

losingit2k

Setlist Swami

• Members *
  • 7471 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Sports

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

Langone says he purchased six tickets — at a cost of $80 apiece — $250 airfare, and a round of beers he bought at Charter One Pavilion before the concert was called off.

I understand the tickets and airfare.. but a round of beer? Come on you already enjoyed that and pissed it half way to Lake Michigan by now!

dazed025.gif  

#52 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 10 2010, 10:05 PM)
Langone says he purchased six tickets — at a cost of $80 apiece — $250 airfare, and a round of beers he bought at Charter One Pavilion before the concert was called off.

I understand the tickets and airfare.. but a round of beer? Come on you already enjoyed that and pissed it half way to Lake Michigan by now!

dazed025.gif

He explained in his post here that he's NOT after his beer money.  Whoever reported that apparently had some facts incorrect.  

#53 PumpkinHead

PumpkinHead

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 749 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

Chris....

Mel Gibson is still watching you!

user posted image

* Make sure you wash your hands afterwards!

#54 Necromancer

Necromancer

Will caption for food

• Members *
  • 17939 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jul 10 2010, 09:34 PM)

The ticket promised a rain or shine show.  By doing so, they infer that they will do anything and everything in their power to make it happen, and you just have to brave the weather.  You were ready to live up to your end of it, and they failed at keeping their end of the CONTRACT. 

Is it Rush's fault?  Indirectly, yes.  They have full control of this and should be more knowledgable about what's going on at these venues.  It had nothing to do with the lie about another incoming storm, it was about the venue's inability to keep the equiptment and wires up to snuff to proceed with a RAIN OR SHINE show.  I don't see where the problem people seem to be having with this is coming from. 

I'd be damned pissed if this had happened to me.  2.gif may be millionaires, but their fans are not all in the same boat as they.  You want to see them, and you can NOT make the rescheduled show, and should NOT be forced into doing so in the first place.  Another part of the contract is the date of the event.  THAT is the night that you were free to pay for this ticket and attend.  NOT a rescheduled event months later.  I see no reason why fans should be treated this way and I hope that 2.gif gets wind of this and makes it right. 

It's total BS Chris.  You deserve your money back so you can go enjoy your favorite band ON YOUR TERMS, not when they say you can.  Why should you have to sell your tix on ebay and go through all that BS.  It's a simple thing.  Give the guy his money back for the event that they could not pull off, that was again... a RAIN OR SHINE event. 

Good luck Chris, and keep us posted.  trink39.gif 

Necro

So you've never been to a show that was cancelled? Come on dude. It happens quite often. And I'm sure Rush will reschedule. It was cancelled do to weather,nothing they could do. How the f**k can you blame the band?

Ummm... yeah DUDEles, i HAVE been to shows that were rescheduled.  It sucks.  One time, I was without a car and took a bus to Philly, 3 hours away.  

I didn't get shit back for any of that.  It's bullshit.  Maybe if someone like Chris had stood up for the f*ckin' fans back then... shit like this would't still be happening.  

Millionaire cocknock musicians and the industry that helps them rape the fans are long overdue for a reality check.  Musicians that play shit and live off their past are being finally screwed by illegal pirating, and maybe they'll start to put out albums that are WORTH the money they expect for it.  And now... thanks to Chris, these venues and the bands themselves will have to consider the fact that we all don't have their millions and we want our money back when a show gets cancelled.  

I've had to wait in line, back in the day, and play the phone and internet game, to get tickets for these shows.  I do my part to get them their money INSTANTLY.  Well, if they don't honor their part of it... i want my money back instantly as well.  WHERE THE HELL DID IT GO???  Why can't Chris get 500 fukin' bucks back from a BILLION dollar machine???  

You toads out there that think these idiot musicians are beyond reproach, EVEN RUSH, need to get your heads examined.  I'm not saying Chris made huge sacrifices... but some people really DO make huge sacrifices to get the money to see these bands.  And if the show says RAIN OR SHINE... and i'm willing to fukin' stand in a downpour, like I have PLENTY of times... then the millionair babies better get the f*k on that covered stage and play the goddamn set.  You want to give their spoiled asses a break... fine.  Go ahead.  Give them a reach around next time the f*k you in the ass too.  

I hope that when Rush get wind of this, they are the guys i've always thought they were and make this right.  I really hope their not a couple of Lars's.  

#55 Cygnus-x50

Cygnus-x50

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 10 2010, 10:09 PM)

The ticket promised a rain or shine show.  By doing so, they infer that they will do anything and everything in their power to make it happen, and you just have to brave the weather.  You were ready to live up to your end of it, and they failed at keeping their end of the CONTRACT. 

Is it Rush's fault?  Indirectly, yes.  They have full control of this and should be more knowledgable about what's going on at these venues.  It had nothing to do with the lie about another incoming storm, it was about the venue's inability to keep the equiptment and wires up to snuff to proceed with a RAIN OR SHINE show.  I don't see where the problem people seem to be having with this is coming from. 

I'd be damned pissed if this had happened to me.  2.gif may be millionaires, but their fans are not all in the same boat as they.  You want to see them, and you can NOT make the rescheduled show, and should NOT be forced into doing so in the first place.  Another part of the contract is the date of the event.  THAT is the night that you were free to pay for this ticket and attend.  NOT a rescheduled event months later.  I see no reason why fans should be treated this way and I hope that 2.gif gets wind of this and makes it right. 

It's total BS Chris.  You deserve your money back so you can go enjoy your favorite band ON YOUR TERMS, not when they say you can.  Why should you have to sell your tix on ebay and go through all that BS.  It's a simple thing.  Give the guy his money back for the event that they could not pull off, that was again... a RAIN OR SHINE event. 

Necro

Ummm... yeah DUDEles, i HAVE been to shows that were rescheduled.  It sucks.  One time, I was without a car and took a bus to Philly, 3 hours away.  

I didn't get shit back for any of that.  It's bullshit.  Maybe if someone like Chris had stood up for the f*ckin' fans back then... shit like this would't still be happening.  

Millionaire cocknock musicians and the industry that helps them rape the fans are long overdue for a reality check.  Musicians that play shit and live off their past are being finally screwed by illegal pirating, and maybe they'll start to put out albums that are WORTH the money they expect for it.  And now... thanks to Chris, these venues and the bands themselves will have to consider the fact that we all don't have their millions and we want our money back when a show gets cancelled.  

I've had to wait in line, back in the day, and play the phone and internet game, to get tickets for these shows.  I do my part to get them their money INSTANTLY.  Well, if they don't honor their part of it... i want my money back instantly as well.  WHERE THE HELL DID IT GO???  Why can't Chris get 500 fukin' bucks back from a BILLION dollar machine???  

You toads out there that think these idiot musicians are beyond reproach, EVEN RUSH, need to get your heads examined.  I'm not saying Chris made huge sacrifices... but some people really DO make huge sacrifices to get the money to see these bands.  And if the show says RAIN OR SHINE... and i'm willing to fukin' stand in a downpour, like I have PLENTY of times... then the millionair babies better get the f*k on that covered stage and play the goddamn set.  You want to give their spoiled asses a break... fine.  Go ahead.  Give them a reach around next time the f*k you in the ass too.  

I hope that when Rush get wind of this, they are the guys i've always thought they were and make this right.  I really hope their not a couple of Lars's.

So in  your opinion, the show should have gone on regardless of any weather situation?  I agree it wouldn't be very hard to give Chris a refund, but to say that the band should play in any weather condition makes me think you aren't thinking this through.

#56 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 10 2010, 10:09 PM)

Necro

There was a rain storm, and the show got cancelled. It wasnt because of any  axl rose " I dont feel like playing tonight cause my voice hurts" cry baby bullshit. It was a legitimate excuse. No one i know would think of having  2.gif in the lawsuit. Im calling that bullshit. Are we, the consumer, being overcharged for these shows, and are a lot of bands ripping off the fans with inferior product, and golden oldies tours?...f**k yeah. But i dont put  2.gif in that category. It would be cool if they heard about this and tried to to do something for the fans, but the business side of things is way the f**k out of control. I just dont think the bands have that power, even though it would be cool if they could man up and tell LiveNation to stop rippin people off.

#57 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

I've been to shows in rainstorms, so it has to be more than that.  Didn't Rush cancel because their equipment was compromised?  If so, people can die.

#58 Necromancer

Necromancer

Will caption for food

• Members *
  • 17939 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 10 2010, 11:27 PM)
I've been to shows in rainstorms, so it has to be more than that.  Didn't Rush cancel because their equipment was compromised?  If so, people can die.

But the equiptment should NOT have been compromised.  It was unprofessional of the venue to have let the equiptment get that way.  I've seen bands play in torrential downpours, so it's not an impossibility.  And usually the band is under some kind of protection, while the crowd is who suffers the weather.  

Give him his money back, plain and simple.  You'd want it back too.  

#59 PariahDog

PariahDog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1249 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

(Yes and Peter Frampton stage)
user posted image

I wonder if any lawyers are filing class action lawsuits against Yes and Peter Frampton for canceling this show in Oklahoma last week?  I'm not saying the weather was as severe in Chicago, but to say that Rush are "babies" and should have played the show regardless of safety concerns is just crazy.  

http://newsok.com/local-production-crew-ta...article/3474327

"The tent and stage erected for the Yes and Peter Frampton concert at Lucky Star Casino came down in an instant on Tuesday, said David Beerley, marketing and promotions manager for PM Productions, the company assembling the stage.  Six were injured, including one crew member whose leg was broken.

"There were probably 15 of us inside the tent and we noticed that the rain was getting heavier. Wind starting gusting a little bit, and you know, that's typical, but the poles weren't wavering or anything. They were holding. And then literally, in an instant, this downshear came and it went down to the ground,” Beerley said"

And for the record, I completely understand that Mr. Langone wants to get satisfaction and I agree that he should.  But how can he expect a cash refund when Live Nation's cancellation policy (rescheduled show or exchange for another show) is very clear?  If a cash refund was the only acceptable option for him, he should have checked this out beforehand and not bought the tickets.

Edited by PariahDog, 10 July 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#60 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 10 2010, 11:56 PM)
(Yes and Peter Frampton stage)
user posted image

I wonder if any lawyers are filing class action lawsuits against Yes and Peter Frampton for canceling this show in Oklahoma last week?  I'm not saying the weather was as severe in Chicago, but to say that Rush are "babies" and should have played the show regardless of safety concerns is just crazy.  

http://newsok.com/local-production-crew-ta...article/3474327

"The tent and stage erected for the Yes and Peter Frampton concert at Lucky Star Casino came down in an instant on Tuesday, said David Beerley, marketing and promotions manager for PM Productions, the company assembling the stage.  Six were injured, including one crew member whose leg was broken.

"There were probably 15 of us inside the tent and we noticed that the rain was getting heavier. Wind starting gusting a little bit, and you know, that's typical, but the poles weren't wavering or anything. They were holding. And then literally, in an instant, this downshear came and it went down to the ground,” Beerley said"

And for the record, I completely understand that Mr. Langone wants to get satisfaction and I agree that he should.  But how can he expect a cash refund when Live Nation's cancellation policy (rescheduled show or exchange for another show) is very clear?  If a cash refund was the only acceptable option for him, he should have checked this out beforehand and not bought the tickets.

goodpost.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users