2nd Chicago show canceled

tcbroonsie

QUOTE (test4eggroll @ Jul 7 2010, 10:29 PM)
im going to the st paul show at the minnesota state fair grandstand. does anyone know if they are vulnerable to rain outs. my ticket doesnt say rain or shine.

Your ticket does not say rain or shine, but the state fair web site for the grand stand does say rain or shine. Only those that are in the cheap seats are under cover.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a bad day.....drove all the way from Indy....scored a 15th row seat 1 hour before showtime.......got to me seat to check it out and went to retrieve another beer and bam...here comes the rain. And I mean hard...rained hard for a long time and just when you thought it would let up it would go right back to raining hard again...uughhh. Was Not impressed with Charter One Pavilion at all. Everything about the place screams make-shift. Here's a thought......instead of spending money on ponchos thinner than a trash bag for everybody why not build some shelter so everybody in the whole place doesn't have to stand in the rain.....ridiculous....there was literally nothing to stand under other than a few small trees....then to top it off on my way home the toll booth tried to charge me the fee for an eighteen wheeler and I was driving a Jeep Liberty. 12 bucks or something. I had a whole line of impatient people behind me so I finally had to put a 20 in. Luckily it recognized its error at the last minute and spit out 18 siver dollars....WTF? When is the band going to refund my gas money? LOL. About 60 dollars worth. I drove about 3-400 miles to drink two beers in the rain. Wow....done ranting! Edited by presto123

ranton.gif So...pissed...can...hardly...type... rage.gif So, after driving up from Muncie, missing the turn-off, and driving around for an hour and a half in the pouring rain, (in a HUGE city I'm totally unfamiliar with)trying to find this place (sure that we had missed half the show)we finally arrive at Charter One Pavilion(it's well hidden)! Something seemed wrong right away. It was too quiet. At first I thought it must be intermission. So we find our seats and notice that everything on stage was covered over with plastic sheets. Cool, rain delay, they haven't started yet, we didn't miss any of it! 1022.gif WRONG! As I stood in the restroom line a voice comes over the p.a. "sorry folks, weather, safety, reschedule, blah, blah, blah..." And yes, that place was a cheezy slapped-together setup. Crappy little plastic folding chairs, and most notably, no roof! Doesn't the word "pavilion" suggest that there's some kind of roof over head for at least part of the audience? If I had known there's no roof, I wouldn't have gone! Seriously. Why plunk down $89.50, if all you get is a chair, and no roof? confused13.gif But, they did say they were going to reschedule, so I guess I'll try this again, since the money is already spent... rantoff.gif Edited by CygXanTor

I'm not a happy camper, and neither are my two daughters. I hope it gets rescheduled to a time they can see it, otherwise they'd be crushed.

Sorry for those of you who missed out on this show. sad.gif I was the bearing of bad tidings as people from the east coast landed for the Red Rocks show on the '08 tour.

I hope everyone is able to make the rescheduled date. Depending on the date I may make that show too.

Yeah I'm not sure of the point of this venue. I thought it was to bring large outdoor concerts downtown. If that's the case they should have had one show downtown at Charter One and one in the suburbs at First Midwest.

I'm also not a fan of the flimsy seats or the fact that the 100 and 200 section is completely flat. I certainly don't think ever seat in the house is good at this place unless you are taller than everyone around you.

From what I remember the area used to be a private airport until the mayor had workers come in and secretly bulldoze the runways after 9/11. Now it is supposed to be a park. The seating and stage is supposed to be temporary so that it can be taken down every year. When looking at the venue you can't help but think "how can this be a rain or shine show?" There is no way that stage could provide any cover to the band from the elements. Heck on Monday night from what I saw the lighting was not moving at all and they did not use any pyrotechnics. Maybe this was due to the small amount of wind blowing into the stage. This really wasn't much wind though for the windy city.

I will say though that the sound on Monday night was much better than the Milwaukee show and much better than I remember First Midwest Amphitheatre being. bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (rocketom @ Jul 7 2010, 10:42 PM)
Geddy was on The Loop 97.9 fm at around 9:15, he said the lighting started getting wet and shorting out, the stage was Soaked. It sounds like a different venue is a possibility when they reschedule. First Midwest Bank amphitheater has the same seating designs.

Equipment problems seem much more the reason this was scrapped.

There were no severe weather alerts, we all were already soaked and they got the baseball game in a few miles away.

I hope they reschedule at that venue, the seats are very close to the band and the skyline view is pretty nice.

I understand some complaints, but I've seen shows at Charter One Pavilion before and had zero problems. I think last night's problems were due to the weather.

Besides under contract with the park district they need to take down and rebuild the venue every summer, hence the folding chairs, etc.

QUOTE (rocketom @ Jul 7 2010, 11:42 PM)
Geddy was on The Loop 97.9 fm at around 9:15, he said the lighting started getting wet and shorting out, the stage was Soaked. It sounds like a different venue is a possibility when they reschedule. First Midwest Bank amphitheater has the same seating designs.

Classy of Geddy to offer that explanation in person, even though it's small comfort to those who had tickets.

Still, I think we can all agree that it would suck mightily if one or all of the band members got cremated by shorted-out equipment.

It was un real how hard it was raining last night at the show. Im really glad I saw them on monday as well. There was thunder and lightning and it poured from about 7 or so until they told us it was cancelled. The whole place was flooded. They said they will be back around later in the tour and the tickets will be honored at that show. I just hope i can make it. I did get to meet some die hard fans and that was fun in itself. We stayed until 9 or so and then they finally came out and cancelled. I heard Geddy Lee on WLUP getting interviewed and he said that they had gear that was shorting out on stage and that it just wasnt safe for the show. Bummer..... banghead.gif

Yea, they had electrical problems. I heard that at the venue from one of the crew guys. They were discussing the situation in a back area in stage left. They were working on some cables to the circular lighting rigs mounted on each side of the stage. They were not working properly ("sometimes not at all," one guy told me.) The stage was soaked. Water everywhere. There were puddles by Geddy's keyboards.

This sucks! I wanted to see Geddy wear his Blackhawks jersy! He said he really wanted to wear it that night on the radio. He also said they did not want to make that call, but sometimes you have to for safety reasons. With all that power, I don't blame them. The storms were bad enough to warrant that.

Looking forward to the next date!

Wow! I feel awful for all of you. Really sorry to hear that. It just plain sucks. No other way to put it. sad.gif

QUOTE (cubs108 @ Jul 7 2010, 10:46 PM)
First Midwest Bank amphitheater has the same seating designs.

First Midwest Bank amphitheater sound is horrible.

Yeah, and the place just plain SUCKS.

I want the show re-scheduled at Charter One. I want my same seat.

This is why I hate this summer tour crap theyve been doing forever now. Miss the days when they just played indoors. The sound hits you harder, and the light show is much better, and no threat of cancellations.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 8 2010, 12:28 PM)
This is why I hate this summer tour crap theyve been doing forever now. Miss the days when they just played indoors. The sound hits you harder, and the light show is much better, and no threat of cancellations.

Well, unless there's an NBA playoff game.

I actually love the outdoor concerts....but when they are played at real pavillions! DTE outside of Detroit for example has a completely covered stage and 95% of seats are covered. The lawn and last couple rows of seats are not. Charter One otoh is a complete joke besides the pretty views of the Chicago skyline.

Exhibit A-

http://www.thedavidchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/dte-up.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/2709381932_614ea54083.jpg

Exhibit B- new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

http://www.stadiumseattrashbag.com/GroundLevel_Set_Up_Northerly_op_800x602.jpg

I guess that's one good thing about living in southern California, if it EVER rains here, it's only in the winter months. Perfect weather for outdoor summer night concerts.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 8 2010, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 8 2010, 12:28 PM)

Well, unless there's an NBA playoff game.

As the New Orleans fans can attest to, having had their 2008 schedule screwed up by basketball (I think it was N.O. I know someone had that happen).

There just aren't a whole lot of decently-sized indoor venues, it seems. Either they are gigantic arenas with a LOT of really shitty nosebleed seating, or they're far too small. At one time in Atlanta, it was either the Omni (gigantic and lousy for rock concerts in terms of sound) or the Fox Theater (probably too small for Rush, and with lots of crap obstructed seating to boot). Now we have the Gwinnett arena, but it's booked ages in advance. (Plus traffic into and out of is a f*cking nightmare, but that's another ball of wax).

I may be the only one who is kind of glad this show got cancelled. I always go to Rush concerts with my cousin. He always gets the tickets. Well, he bought tickets for this show from a ticket service (18th row center), but he had to sell them because he couldn't see the show due to a business obligation. So, he was just going to sell those tickets, and we were going to travel somewhere to see the show.

Then the buyer for the tickets backed out last minute, and my cousin couldn't sell the tickets and had to eat them...and now if they reschedule the show, we should be able to make it. 1022.gif