10 replies to this topic

#1 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3352 posts
  • Interests:Metal. Beer. Powerbelching. \m/

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

Sooo... I get my copy of Beyond the Lighted Stage and start looking at the pictures...  the shot of the arena crowd is the same one as the one in Rainbow's Long Live Rock'n'Roll inside photo, just reversed.  The banner is changed to look like a Rush banner.  I wonder if it's kind of a standard "'70's concert shot" that's been used a few times.

Rushead 666, tick, I think we've talked about this Rainbow album,  whatcha think?

Love the DVD, BTW.  The part where they're  having dinner and getting buzzed on wine is hilarious.

Sponsored Post

#2 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, painting, my children, cinema

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

Actually, its the opposite way round.  The photo was taken by, if I remember right, Fin Costello of the crowd at a Rush gig and Rainbow used it for the LLR'n'R album.

obviously, the banner has been changed for the DVD cover but, if you look closely, the guy with the denim between Alex and Neil is wearing a Rush shirt as is the one just to the right of Neil's head whose face is onscured by someone's fist.

#3 WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1825 posts
  • Interests:Mountain biking, kayaking, roller hockey
    Bass guitar, Keys and Drums

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

I see seven RUSH shirts in the black and white photo. Are you suggesting that the black and white banner is photo shopped by Rainbow on their album ( I have not seen the LLR'n'R photo).  I understand that the DVD cover banner is obviously altered, just trying to figure out what the similarities are between the Rainbow photo and  RUSH's black and white crowd photo.

#4 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3352 posts
  • Interests:Metal. Beer. Powerbelching. \m/

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

Sounds like the one in the Rainbow cover has been modified, then.  They probably didn't have photoshop, but airbrushing was common then.  

#5 mulletst0rm

mulletst0rm

The Seeker

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:09 AM

Rainbow definitely used Rush fans for their album art.

user posted image

#6 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jul 5 2010, 12:00 AM)
I see seven RUSH shirts in the black and white photo. Are you suggesting that the black and white banner is photo shopped by Rainbow on their album ( I have not seen the LLR'n'R photo).  I understand that the DVD cover banner is obviously altered, just trying to figure out what the similarities are between the Rainbow photo and  RUSH's black and white crowd photo.

I'm not suggesting anything, I'm stating as a matter of fact.

QUOTE (Power Windows)

Long Live Rock 'N Roll by Rainbow, 1978
Not exactly a tribute... Polydor Records used an altered version of an original Rush photo this album's gatefold art. Without Rush's knowledge, the photo of a crowd holding a Rush starman banner was mirrored and airbrushed to read "Long Live Rock 'N Roll" and printed on the album's inside gatefold. Rush photographer Fin Costello had used the original Rush picture in a mock up demonstrating a shot he intended taking at the next Rainbow concert which would then be used in the actual album art. Polydor rejected his idea, then later retouched the Rush photo without his knowledge. The original Rush photo has been included in various Rush literature, such as The Words And The Pictures, Vol. I (1979) and Brian Harrigan's Rush (1982).

Power Windows

Plus, if you look closely at the Rainbow picture in Mulletst0rm's post, you can see that all the Rush T-shirts have been airbrushed over

Edited by Slaine mac Roth, 05 July 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#7 The Big Money

The Big Money

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3284 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

That's kinda weird to use a picture with the other band's fans and act like there yours.

Edited by bigmoney2112, 05 July 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#8 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

Well, if you read what it says in the Power Windows section, you'll see that it had nothing to do with the band - it was purely a record company decision and, on the whole, they try to run roughshod over anyone they can.

#9 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11122 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

Bringing this one back up, as this is the first time I've seen it mention here in the forum

The original photo was taken by Fin Costello, at a Rush show ..

Fin was working on the "new" Rainbow album, tentatively titled "Kill The King"  .. Fin came up with a cover idea, which included a skeleton in a suit of armor and some snakes ( which was ultimately rejected ).. When Fin presented his first rough idea of the skeleton and snakes cover to Polydor, he also included the Rush photo in the gatefold to demonstrate a possible advertising shot ( note: it was Fin Costello that took the iconic pic on the back of KISS Alive! and he felt they could recreate that in the gatefold of the Rainbow album )

Polydor took the photo, reversed it, airbrushed the RUSH shirts out and used it - without Fin's knowledge .. This is difficult for me to believe, as I am sure there were copyright issues, but be that as it may, Fin denies all knowledge of this, and, in fact, claims is caused a huge falling out with the members of RUSH - one that took years to mend ..

I also have a hard time believing that the members of Rainbow - esp Ritchie Blackmore - had no say in this .. It is possible that they could have been in the dark about the origin of the photos, however, Rush and Rainbow did tour together, and who know what Blackmore might have been feeling ...

With all that said, it's a pretty interesting story, and a very lame gesture on the part of Polydor .. and Rainbow ... I just don't believe that they were not aware of this - the Long Live Rock 'N Roll Banner is obviously a fake, not to mention the fact that Kill The King was the working title of the album, so how would any Rainbow fans know to make a banner that said LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL prior to the album's release ?!?!?!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Lucas, 02 January 2018 - 12:21 AM.

#10 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 6137 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

View PostLucas, on 02 January 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

Bringing this one back up, as this is the first time I've seen it mention here in the forum

Fin was working on the "new" Rainbow album, tentatively titled "Kill The King"  .. Fin came up with a cover idea, which included a skeleton in a suit of armor and some snakes ( which was ultimately rejected ).. When Fin presented his first rough idea of the skeleton and snakes cover to Polydor, he also included the Rush photo in the gatefold to demonstrate a possible advertising shot ( note: it was Fin Costello that took the iconic pic on the back of KISS Alive! and he felt they could recreate that in the gatefold of the Rainbow album )

Polydor took the photo, reversed it, airbrushed the RUSH shirts out and used it - without Fin's knowledge .. This is difficult for me to believe, as I am sure there were copyright issues, but be that as it may, Fin denies all knowledge of this, and, in fact, claims is caused a huge falling out with the members of RUSH - one that took years to mend ..

I also have a hard time believing that the members of Rainbow - esp Ritchie Blackmore - had no say in this .. It is possible that they could have been in the dark about the origin of the photos, however, Rush and Rainbow did tour together, and who know what Blackmore might have been feeling ...

With all that said, it's a pretty interesting story, and a very lame gesture on the part of Polydor .. and Rainbow ... I just don't believe that they were not aware of this - the Long Live Rock 'N Roll Banner is obviously a fake, not to mention the fact that Kill The King was the working title of the album, so how would any Rainbow fans know to make a banner that said LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL prior to the album's release ?!?!?!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Fascinating!  Good detective work, Lucas!

#11 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11122 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

View Postblueschica, on 02 January 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 02 January 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Fascinating!  Good detective work, Lucas!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users