Why I'm so into Counterparts

rickyrob

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 9 2005, 09:35 PM)
Only bad songs on it are Nobody's Hero and Speed of Love.

yes.gif I could agree with that. I didn't think Nobody's Hero was that bad the first time I heard it, but after a while it just got so old. I can't really stand to listen to it anymore. The Speed of Love is just a dull song. I could never get into it, never.

CP is a good record. Not top 10, but better than RTB 062802puke_prv.gif. T4E is still their best 90s album IMO.

T4e is my least fav RUSH album of any decade. ... with the exception of the song T4e and Driven and resist ... the songs seem forced and routine to me.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 10 2005, 05:14 PM)
CP is a good record. Not top 10, but better than RTB 062802puke_prv.gif. T4E is still their best 90s album IMO.

T4e is my least fav RUSH album of any decade. ... with the exception of the song T4e and Driven and resist ... the songs seem forced and routine to me.

yes.gif Those are the best three songs on T4E.

Edited because I can't count. tongue.gif

Let me first say that I feel that I am the biggest Rush fan on the planet. But there are few albums that on first listen I am liking all of the songs. I feel like so many Rush songs become a part of me with time. I find some songs grab me more quickly, some more slowly, but Counterparts truly knocked me out quickly with every single song I heard. I feel Test For Echo was overall the weakest album, but Rush's music really isn't like AC/DC's 4/4 time rock and roll balls to the wall music, it is art at its purest...sound meets mental imagery and the mind and soul are moved and changed forever. It is an experience. It has changed my life. I can't say that about other music by other bands.

I stuck with most of the music from "Permanent Waves" back to "Rush" (I've been a fan since 1978) and just couldn't get into the newer, more synthesized music. Then my son turns me on to the newer material (I've created a (Rush) monster). Counterparts has some great music on it, my favorites being "Between Sun and Moon", "Animate" (They tore this one up on R30), and of course, "Stick it Out".

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 9 2005, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (slacker @ Apr 9 2005, 02:52 AM)
This is what i do with CP...I sit on the beach during the summer of course and i crank it as loud as i can and nobody can say sh*t... common001.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif Sounds like a great time! 1022.gif

Yes it is...I guess you don't have any beaches in Ohio huh?

Just kidding NPF..Come to NYC agan and we'll get to the beach early and just crank 2.gif all day... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Apr 10 2005, 05:14 PM)

I have to agree with you with respect to Test for Echo. Forced and routine. You said it.

But apart from "Driven" and "Resist," "Time and Motion" is a pretty good track (on most days), and I giv'em credit for "Limbo."

QUOTE (vital signz @ Apr 10 2005, 08:03 PM)
Let me first say that I feel that I am the biggest Rush fan on the planet.  But there are few albums that on first listen I am liking all of the songs.  I feel like so many Rush songs become a part of me with time.  I find some songs grab me more quickly, some more slowly, but Counterparts truly knocked me out quickly with every single song I heard.  I feel Test For Echo was overall the weakest album, but Rush's music really isn't like AC/DC's 4/4 time rock and roll balls to the wall music, it is art at its purest...sound meets mental imagery and the mind and soul are moved and changed forever.  It is an experience. It has changed my life.  I can't say that about other music by other bands.

goodpost.gif

I also find that some of their music takes time for me to absorb. VT is the biggest example. But the same thing happened to me with Counterparts. Every song was an immediate grab. I'm thinking it's because as albums go, it was their most straightforward and in your face approach.

Let me first say that I feel that I am the biggest Rush fan on the planet.

but uh.... dem's fightin' woids 'round these parts. laugh.gif

QUOTE (slacker @ Apr 12 2005, 04:38 AM)
This is what i do with CP...I sit on the beach during the summer of course and i crank it as loud as i can and nobody can say sh*t... common001.gif

Just kidding NPF..Come to NYC agan and we'll get to the beach early and just crank 2.gif all day... biggrin.gif

Just how well does Rush go over on Manhattan or Brighton beach?

QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 12 2005, 07:06 AM)

Manhattan or Brighton beach? You couldn't pay me to step foot on those Beaches!...Rockaway Beach is the place yes.gif

QUOTE (slacker @ Apr 12 2005, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 12 2005, 07:06 AM)

Manhattan or Brighton beach? You couldn't pay me to step foot on those Beaches!...Rockaway Beach is the place yes.gif

HAHA!! laugh.gif Good man!! cool.gif

I couldn't imagine Rush at those places. Or myself for that matter. Yewww!!!

Counterparts will always be special to me. Between 1990 and 1995 I did a degree with the Open University, and bought CP on the day of my final exam. I did the exam in Derry, and played the tape in the car on the way home for the first time.

I always hear animate and remember driving over Craigavon Bridge knowing that after six years of study at the kitchen table, I was finally going to get my degree.

Last year, on holiday I locked my i-pod onto Counterparts and listened solidly for three days.

Class album, but with respects to Romi, Everyday Glory is probably my least favourite track.

Archived