Green Day : American Idiot

ALifeson85

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 8 2005, 09:08 AM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 8 2005, 08:51 AM)
This album is pretty good, I have heard it a few times.  Is this really considered punk rock?

no

Whew, thanks moonie. I saw someone refer to it that way. I like & all, but if this what became of punk I was gonna be disappointed.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 8 2005, 11:15 AM)
This album is pretty good, I have heard it a few times.  Is this really considered punk rock?

no

Whew, thanks moonie. I saw someone refer to it that way. I like & all, but if this what became of punk I was gonna be disappointed.

They're "media friendly punk".

wacko.gif

Hard core punk is different by a long shot.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 8 2005, 09:29 AM)

no

wacko.gif

I always think of Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks when I think of punk. So I am glad that hasn't evolved into Ggreenday type stuff.

QUOTE (yyz @ Apr 7 2005, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 7 2005, 02:01 PM)
I cannot stand Green Day.  I have never liked their music.  I think American Idiot is horrible.  And yes PuppetKing2112, I HAVE listened to it.

You only listen to Rush, Led Zeppelin, Dio, and The Who....

I listened to it to hear what it was like. I guess I should have been more clear on that for you. doh.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 7 2005, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (yyz @ Apr 7 2005, 11:06 AM)
I cannot stand Green Day.  I have never liked their music.  I think American Idiot is horrible.  And yes PuppetKing2112, I HAVE listened to it.

With 99% of the emphasis on Rush and a combined 1% on the other bands.

yes.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 8 2005, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 7 2005, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (yyz @ Apr 7 2005, 11:06 AM)

With 99% of the emphasis on Rush and a combined 1% on the other bands.

yes.gif wink.gif

That's nothing to be proud of. It just means you're closed-minded.

No offense.

Yes i myself have listened to that retched thing some people call an album. It BLOWS imo. I was reading in RS a few issues ago about how their so proud of themselves writing a what 9 min song!!! come on give me a god damn break. I was like where is the same praise for RUSH with having so many song well over 9 mins. come on give the boys some credit they have not been together for 30 years making 3-3:30 songs all their career. They had to work and no band today really has the stamana that RUSH did in the 70's. There will never be another RUSH EVER!! We better enjoy them while we can because there will never be another band that has the power and the stamana that RUSH does.

And for Green Day they can suck a fat one.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 8 2005, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 8 2005, 09:29 AM)

no

wacko.gif

I always think of Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks when I think of punk. So I am glad that hasn't evolved into Ggreenday type stuff.

people need to think of the RAMONES when they think of punk. They started it all!!!! Other than that i like American Idiot. Its great how its like a rock opera.

Yep..i guess I was right when I said I was going for a long shot by posting this thread, lol. Well, people have opinions, and it's their right to stick to them, so it's all good.

So anyway...about the, uh...new, RUSH album...yea...any thoughts? rumors? news? unsure.gif sarcasm.gif

LOL icon_really_happy_guy.gif

But anyway, as for me...yes, Green Day is FAR FAR from Rush's league (or most rock bands from the 70's and 80's), but i just think it's a releif to hear and band go from constantly making 2:30 - 3:00 min songs, playing only about 3-4 different chords...to composing more complex (not RUSH complex...just...more complex as far as GREEN DAY goes..), rock opera-type music. I'm a fan of pretty much ANY type of rock music...classic rock, heavy metal, alternative, punk...you name it. (except for death metal...which annoys me quite a bit for some reason, lol). So, my range in rock music varies a good bit. I'll go from listening to Rush...then Metallica or Megadeth...then suddenly to Coldplay, or something to that extent. But anywho...that's just me... wink.gif

-Matt

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 8 2005, 04:43 PM)
Yep..i guess I was right when I said I was going for a long shot by posting this thread, lol. Well, people have opinions, and it's their right to stick to them, so it's all good.
So anyway...about the, uh...new, RUSH album...yea...any thoughts? rumors? news? unsure.gif sarcasm.gif
LOL icon_really_happy_guy.gif

But anyway, as for me...yes, Green Day is FAR FAR from Rush's league (or most rock bands from the 70's and 80's), but i just think it's a releif to hear and band go from constantly making 2:30 - 3:00 min songs, playing only about 3-4 different chords...to composing more complex (not RUSH complex...just...more complex as far as GREEN DAY goes..), rock opera-type music. I'm a fan of pretty much ANY type of rock music...classic rock, heavy metal, alternative, punk...you name it. (except for death metal...which annoys me quite a bit for some reason, lol). So, my range in rock music varies a good bit. I'll go from listening to Rush...then Metallica or Megadeth...then suddenly to Coldplay, or something to that extent. But anywho...that's just me... wink.gif

-Matt

goodpost.gif

Yeah I don't love it, yet, but I dont understand all the anger either. Must be some high school political thing. (THOSE people like it so I won't).

Peace

The problem is the media having this thing for labeling music styles.

If you listen to hard core punk you might like it.

Try Dead Kennedy's or Cradle of Filth for a listen. You might change your mind. Or not.

Either way, I like Punk.

Greenday has some good stuff as well, though I'd never consider them real punk.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 8 2005, 11:38 PM)
The problem is the media having this thing for labeling music styles.

If you listen to hard core punk you might like it.

Try Dead Kennedy's or Cradle of Filth for a listen. You might change your mind. Or not.

Either way, I like Punk.

Greenday has some good stuff as well, though I'd never consider them real punk.

Yep, I have to agree with that

I hate labelling music, I have a varied taste yes.gif

If it gets you it gets you no matter what it is. msn_sheep.png laugh.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 8 2005, 05:38 PM)

Cradle of filth? Hardcore Punk? Are you sure?

I hate music genres.

Apparently Rush is Art Rock confused13.gif There are so many different sub genres to Progressive rock, its just pointless.

QUOTE (Cygnus_X1 @ Apr 8 2005, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 8 2005, 05:38 PM)

Cradle of filth? Hardcore Punk? Are you sure?

I hate music genres.

Apparently Rush is Art Rock confused13.gif There are so many different sub genres to Progressive rock, its just pointless.

What one person considers punk another may not.

How do you classify Cinema Strange?

When I say Hardcore, I meant punk. However, since the industry insists that greenday is punk, I've just borrowed labeling to classify what I consider punk in order to distinguish from crap like Good Charlotte et al.

I've seen Alice Cooper listed in Various genres. Where does he belong? confused13.gif

etc. etc.

Whoever you may think started the genre of punk to begin with, you guys really need to give a lot of the credit to where it deserves. To me, the whole punk scene really started with The Who, they just knew how to play more notes in a song, but they are the ones who started this whole thing. Dont think Green Day isnt borrowing musical ideas from them for one second, Townshend coined the term "Rock Opera" (or was it Kit, one of the two tongue.gif)

The Who -> The Ramones, The Clash -> Green Day

QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 9 2005, 12:33 AM)
If the music industry hasn't yet proven how retarded they are, this is another indicator.

That's just the problem dweez it's an "industry"

Music to me is an art form heart.gif

See "Spirit Of Radio"

2.gif

Archived