Green Day : American Idiot

ALifeson85

I know I'm kinda going for a long shot here, on THIS message board, but for those who have the cd (or have heard the cd), what do you guys think of Green Day's American Idiot album? I think it's one of their BEST to date, IMO. yes.gif Yes...the songs American Idiot and Blvd. Of Broken Dreams get WAY too much air play on the radio, but there are even COOLER songs on the album, like Jesus Of Suburbia, Holiday, and Give Me Novicane. It's actually a concept album, like Pink Floyd's The Wall, and has 2 concept SONGS on the album, too (Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming) which are both close to 10min. each, and are broken down into 5 sections, each...like the Rush epic songs.

I even saw them live on the last tour, and it was really awesome.

But anywho, any other opinions?

-Matt

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This album is absloutely terriffic. I got the special edition, in hardback book form, with a 50-page booklet. The album is amazing musically...I didn't even like Green Day until I heard this album, and now they're one of my favourite bands. My favourite songs are:

Jesus of Suburbia

Holiday

Are We the Waiting

Give Me Novicaine

Extraordinary Girl

Letterbomb

Homecoming

Whatsername

And the rest are great too!

I saw them in November, they rocked! The played about half the album.

I wrote a full-length review in my school's newspaper but it's not on the computer. I'll post it if I can.

Its ok. Dont get me wrong, I dont hate it, and I consider it a definate step in the right direction for music....

But WAYYYYYYY too much airplay. I dont own the record, but I have probably heard EVERY single song on it a couple times, more so for American Idiot, Blvd, Holiday, September, St. Jimmy, Jesus of Suburbia (this is now a regular song, despite its length on the alternative station I listen to) I do like Jesus of Suburbia, probably more so then any track on that album. I think its good htough, but I dont think its one I'm going to rush to buy. I do wish though that all the bands Green Day has influenced over the years will take thier example and branch out instead of trying to copy their sound. I cant stand all the Green Day ripoffs I have heard.

I also don't think it's right for Green Day to get lumped in WITH those bands...they were really the Nirvana of the pop-punk genre...an actually talented band who wrote great songs and knew how to play their instruments and their only flaw is that they spawned a generation of shitty ripoff bands.

EDITED FOR SPELLING

When I saw them live, they did the ENTIRE American Idiot album live, straight through...and then a bunch of older songs, like Basketcase, Minority, Nice Guys Finish Last, Longview, Time Of Your Life, and a few others...it was great! smile.gif

-Matt

Never seen em live, but they are coming to SF to play Pac Bell Park (I dont care what you wanna cal it, its PAC BELL PARK YOU MARKETING BASTARDS!!!) later this year. I think I might check them out then, I may not buy thier album, but I think I will go to thier show.

I to saw them this last tour Oct 30th..

This was one of the best shows i ever saw...

Homecoming Blew me away!!!

Even there encore was cool...We are the Champions..

This is my favorite album right now. For a long time I couldn't go the whole day without listening to it. I think it may be the best album of this decade. A true punk rock opera.

Now it is my workout album. I can put it in and run 10 miles with no problem.

I love how all of the songs tie in to one another. Every time I listen to it I find out something else that is cool.

they are on the radio right now...

very ood!!!

i'm not much on punk, but i really love some of their songs..Boulevard of Broken Dreams DOES get too much time, but since i don't listen to the radio, it's not a problem for me. wink.gif When September Ends, i think it's called, is another good one..& America Idiot is alright too.

contrary to what sfuentes will tell you, it's a pretty good album. tongue.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 7 2005, 02:01 PM)
I cannot stand Green Day. I have never liked their music. I think American Idiot is horrible. And yes PuppetKing2112, I HAVE listened to it.

You only listen to Rush, Led Zeppelin, Dio, and The Who....

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 7 2005, 10:01 AM)
I cannot stand Green Day. I have never liked their music. I think American Idiot is horrible. And yes PuppetKing2112, I HAVE listened to it.

When? and how many times?

QUOTE (yyz @ Apr 7 2005, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 7 2005, 02:01 PM)
I cannot stand Green Day.  I have never liked their music.  I think American Idiot is horrible.  And yes PuppetKing2112, I HAVE listened to it.

You only listen to Rush, Led Zeppelin, Dio, and The Who....

With 99% of the emphasis on Rush and a combined 1% on the other bands.

If all you listen to is Rush I feel very sorry for you all. No, I pity you.

If you don't see the genius in this album you know absolutely nothing about music.

PUNK ROCK RULES

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/headbanger.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/headbanger.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/headbanger.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/headbanger.gif

And WHY exactly do you hate American Idiot?

See, it's way different from their other stuff so you can't assume that just because you hate Green Day in general you will hate AI.

NPF2112, I still don't believe that you listened to it.

I hate it because I think that it's bad. I don't like anything about it because it sounds terrible to me. The lead singer has a whiny voice and they have no soul in their music. I've heard the first five seconds of each song on the album. I hated them all.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 8 2005, 06:31 AM)
I hate it because I think that it's bad. I don't like anything about it because it sounds terrible to me. The lead singer has a whiny voice and they have no soul in their music. I've heard the first five seconds of each song on the album. I hated them all.

laugh.gif The first 5 seconds, huh?

Archived