Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony tomorrow

LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 24 2010, 09:10 AM)
I'm about an hour south of Hollywood and been playing around with the idea of driving up there tomorrow..BUT

I'm wondering how chaotic the scene will be. Is it almost better to camp overnight? Will I be able to see Rush at all with everything going on?

Curious...

I dont think you'll have to camp overnight but it could be a little chaotic. I went to the George Harrison star ceremony last year and there was a big crowd, but I was still able to view the festivies even with Paul McCartney speaking. It's hard to predict how many people will actually show up.

When Canadian rockers Rush get a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame Friday, Donna Halper will be there. And well she should be. Halper, who teaches at Lesley University in Cambridge, is widely credited with breaking the band in the US when she was the music director at Cleveland's WMMS-FM in 1974. To its credit, Rush - bassist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson, and drummer Neil Peart - never forgot Halper's help and invited her to introduce them at the ceremony in LA. (The Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan also will be there at the band's request.) "I've been in broadcasting for close to 40 years, and they're one of the few people who've kept in touch," Halper told us yesterday. "They've made some money and lost some hair, but they're the same people today they were then. ... For once, the good guys win." Halper, who makes an appearance in the new documentary, "Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage," says it's a shame the power trio is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. "Critics have a lot of contempt for Rush, for reasons I don't understand," said the Dorchester native. "People say they're a cult band - they're a thinking person's cult band ... I got an e-mail from a bishop who's a Rush fan - a bishop!"

Archived