Big few weeks for MMA Heavyweights

Finding IT

We used to have some pretty good MMA discussions in here. Not sure who is still around but here are some thoughts to kick around.

Over the next two weeks, 3 of the top 5 MMA Heavyweights are fighting. Fedor is fighting Fabricio Werdum on the Strikeforce card on Showtime this Saturday night and Brock Lesnar is fighting Shane Carwin the following week on the UFC Card.

Werdum is a legitimate Heavyweight with some quality wins, but he has some suspect losses as well. He has a very strong ground game but not as rounded as Fedor's and his standup is average. I believe Fedor will take him by TKO in the first round.

The Lesnar/Carwin fight is VERY interesting. This is the first opponent that Lesnar has fought that approaches him in strength and wrestling skills (still give Brock and edge on both of these, but Carwin is much closer than any challeger has been). What's more, Carwin has a significantly better standup game and can throw very powerful short punches in a clinch (can't he, Frank Mir).

Lesnar is the favorite but not a HUGE favorite (-180 on most sites). He is coming off of a significant medical layoff.

Generally, I am able to develop a feeling about how a fight will go but I must admit to being at a loss, here. Lesnar has been absolutely dominant winning nearly every second of every round in highly effective, if a bit boring, "maul and paw" style. However, he hasn't fought anyone like Carwin.

I am going to pick Lesnar by KO via ground a pound in round 2, but I can see it going a half a dozen other ways.

IF both of these go the way I guess, they set up HUGE followup fights. Fedor would fight Alistair Overeem who I believe will give him his first legimiate loss. Fedor has spent less time in camp in recent fights and had admitted being uncomfortable with some aspects of fighting since he has "found God" and joined the Russian Orthodox church.

If Lesnar gets by Carwin, he will almost certainly have to face Junior Dos Santos (assuming Dos Santos gets by Big Country). Dos Santos may be the best Heavyweight MMA striker in the World today.