Ghost Rider

rickyrob

...head North and West...

then circle South and East... confused13.gif surely he'd be heading back from where he came?

Forgive me, I haven't read his book. ph34r.gif

That's actually one of the themes of James Joyce's Dubliners, going in one direction, then another, but ultimately ending up back at square one.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that Peart is implying the same idea. I honestly don't know.

Having just finished the book, (and believe me, it is well worth the read) I can answer that a little. Neil didn't really have a specific plan in mind. He was just travelling. Riding his motorcycle occupied his mind so he would not concentrate on his grief. He likened his grief-stricken psyche to an infant. So how is one way to get a fussy baby to calm down and go to sleep? Take it for a ride in the car. So travelling also would get his 'little baby soul' to calm down.

He initially wanted to just travel to different locations, staying west of the Mississippi initially (although the next summer, he journeys through the Atlantic Provinces, then heads to New York City for a few days before riding home to switch bikes, then head west again), stopping to see whatever caught his fancy on the map. The only reservation he HAD to make was for the ferry from Hayes, Alaska to Prince Rupert, BC. But other than that, he was just going from one place to the next. He had planned on meeting up with his best friend Brutus and riding through the Southwest and Mexico, but other issues forstalled that.

Although Brutus can't be with Neil on the trip, in a way he is. Neil writes so many letters to Brutus as well as other friends and family, detailing his journey both on the road and through his grief, describing the sights seen.

All in all, this was a great read and I'm so glad I bought the book. The ultimate messages were that time can help wounds heal and hope exists even if you are not looking for it.

I think all Rush fans owe Neil's wife Carrie a huge "thank you." Sorry GG, I know you are probably jealous of her, but she really helped him heal significantly. If it wasn't for her, Neil might never have drummed again for Rush, written lyrics, or toured. And it was because of her support that he wrote the book.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Apr 5 2005, 12:06 PM)
Having just finished the book, (and believe me, it is well worth the read) I can answer that a little. Neil didn't really have a specific plan in mind. He was just travelling. Riding his motorcycle occupied his mind so he would not concentrate on his grief. He likened his grief-stricken psyche to an infant. So how is one way to get a fussy baby to calm down and go to sleep? Take it for a ride in the car. So travelling also would get his 'little baby soul' to calm down.

He initially wanted to just travel to different locations, staying west of the Mississippi initially (although the next summer, he journeys through the Atlantic Provinces, then heads to New York City for a few days before riding home to switch bikes, then head west again), stopping to see whatever caught his fancy on the map. The only reservation he HAD to make was for the ferry from Hayes, Alaska to Prince Rupert, BC. But other than that, he was just going from one place to the next. He had planned on meeting up with his best friend Brutus and riding through the Southwest and Mexico, but other issues forstalled that.

Although Brutus can't be with Neil on the trip, in a way he is. Neil writes so many letters to Brutus as well as other friends and family, detailing his journey both on the road and through his grief, describing the sights seen.

All in all, this was a great read and I'm so glad I bought the book. The ultimate messages were that time can help wounds heal and hope exists even if you are not looking for it.

I think all Rush fans owe Neil's wife Carrie a huge "thank you." Sorry GG, I know you are probably jealous of her, but she really helped him heal significantly. If it wasn't for her, Neil might never have drummed again for Rush, written lyrics, or toured. And it was because of her support that he wrote the book.

Cheers for that Andrake, I have been meaning to get the book, and now I think I will very soon new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Apr 5 2005, 06:06 AM)

I love this book wholeheartedly, and I couldn't agree more with that summary of its message. Nicely put.

As for my perceived jealousy, smile.gif I do have a lot of fun with my Neil-worship...and while I'm quite sure that if I had been Andrew's promising young assistant, I'd have swept Mr. Peart completely off his feet icon_really_happy_guy.gif ---- However, things being as they are, and fate placing me in the American South vs. the West, and the fact that I can barely use my camera, etc.....I'm well aware that ultimately, things happen as they should, and I'm grateful to Carrie for helping Neil rise up from the surface and fly into the light. A world without Neil's drumming, without Ghost Rider and Traveling Music, without "Vapor Trails," would be a bland and empty world indeed.

goodpost.gif

"Dedicated to the future with honor to the past" - Neil Peart

Archived