Ichiro - The Throw

Chasartymac

By Bob Finnigan
Seattle Times staff reporter

The Throw.

We probably don't have to describe it any more than that. It stunned everyone who saw it.

On April 11 in Oakland, Ichiro charged an eighth-inning single by Ramon Hernandez and cut loose, trying to catch Terrence Long, a runner of good speed, going from first to third.

The ball traveled 230 to 250 feet on the fly, never rising more than 10 or 12 feet above the ground, until it smacked into the glove of third baseman David Bell, a perfect strike a foot above the bag. The astonished Long was tagged out.

Ichiro, who had trouble with Oakland fans yelling insults at him and throwing coins, said through an interpreter that his only thought on the play was to wonder why Long had run "when I was going to throw him out."

I was listening to this game on MLB audio here in the UK back in 2001 live.

Despite numerous searches and loads of hunting, I have been unable to find a clip and I would LOVE to see this throw. Does anyone have it? or a link to it?

No, but I seen Paul O'neil make a throw that was about the same as described in that article. It was in the 1990 playoffs when the reds beat the Pirates, it was probably the best throw I've ever seen, his only shot at getting the out at home plate was to skip the cut off man in the infield, and the ball got there just in time for the out. O'Neil was close to the warning track. He stepped it up for the playoffs and got the out and the Reds went on to beat the Pirates in 6 games and then went on to the World Series and swept the A's in 4 games.

QUOTE (Indica @ Apr 7 2005, 03:25 PM)
No, but I seen Paul O'neil make a throw that was about the same as described in that article. It was in the 1990 playoffs when the reds beat the Pirates, it was probably the best throw I've ever seen, his only shot at getting the out at home plate was to skip the cut off man in the infield, and the ball got there just in time for the out. O'Neil was close to the warning track. He stepped it up for the playoffs and got the out and the Reds went on to beat the Pirates in 6 games and then went on to the World Series and swept the A's in 4 games.

The best throw that I ever saw was Dave Parker's throw to third from the right field corner in the 1978 All Star Game. He also made a great throw to home in the 1979 All Star Game. Indy, how could you forget those? laugh.gif Otherwise, the best arm in baseball today belongs to Vlad.

QUOTE (Indica @ Apr 7 2005, 08:25 PM)

Well, I never saw that throw and it does sound like highlight reel stuff,....but

Lou Pinaela (sp), was watching from the dugout and described the throw as a frozen rope. Ok we heard about frozen rope throws before, but this piece of rope was from right field to THIRD. David Bell, who was on 3rd said the ball just kept coming and went straight into his glove.

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Apr 7 2005, 04:36 PM)

The best throw that I ever saw was Dave Parker's throw to third from the right field corner in the 1978 All Star Game. He also made a great throw to home in the 1979 All Star Game. Indy, how could you forget those? laugh.gif Otherwise, the best arm in baseball today belongs to Vlad.

You beat me to it AK...I can clearly remember Parker's throw dead on to nail Brian Downing at home plate in the '79 All Star Game....If I remember correctly it was in the 8th inning and Parker's throw kept the game tied....Awesome throw....Too bad they don't have All-Star games like that anymore....

QUOTE (daveyt @ Apr 7 2005, 06:43 PM)
let's not forget BO JACKSON'S throw that nailed DEION SANDERS (?) at the plate from LEFT

Another great throw. From the warning track, even.

I remember one that wasn't astounding like the ones already described but it was pretty amazing. Early 1995 season, Angels against ....don't remember, A's or Yankees maybe? Near the end of the game, runner on third. Salmon picks up a liner up the middle and threw it so hard to home plate he somersaulted himself, got the runner at the plate if I remember correctly.

I remember it was not long after Bichette's walk-off homer in the 14th during the inaugural game in Coors Field. THAT was a highlight reel moment.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 8 2005, 12:42 PM)
Roberto Clemente had one hell of an arm. The best ever IMO.

That's what I hear from older fans, that Clemente had the best arm they ever saw. Nobody ever dared run on him. The best arm I got to see was Dave Parker. I'll never forget those throws. Again, today's arm is Vlad. I saw him nail a runner at third in a spring training game. The throw got there about 5 steps before the runner. Had to laugh at that. What was that runner thinking? laugh.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Apr 8 2005, 01:03 PM)
Roberto Clemente had one hell of an arm.  The best ever IMO.

That's what I hear from older fans, that Clemente had the best arm they ever saw. Nobody ever dared run on him. The best arm I got to see was Dave Parker. I'll never forget those throws. Again, today's arm is Vlad. I saw him nail a runner at third in a spring training game. The throw got there about 5 steps before the runner. Had to laugh at that. What was that runner thinking? laugh.gif

Yes indeed. Vlad is one talented player. I think it was a great move for him to leave the Expos. They were going no where, you know?

QUOTE (anagramking @ Apr 7 2005, 05:36 PM)

I didn't forget those.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 8 2005, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Apr 8 2005, 01:03 PM)
Roberto Clemente had one hell of an arm.  The best ever IMO.

Yes indeed. Vlad is one talented player. I think it was a great move for him to leave the Expos. They were going no where, you know?

Well, they finally moved to Washington. laugh.gif Vlad didn't just leave for money. He could have gotten much more if he wanted to go to the Yankees, but he told them right away he didn't want to play in New York.

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Apr 8 2005, 04:41 PM)
So, does anyone know how I can get a clip of the Ichiro throw?

confused13.gif

Chas I'm not aware of any clip of it on the net but I just found out it is on a DVD called "MLB Memorable Moments". Apparently there is a section on the dvd called "Ichiro 2001" and has the clip in question.

I may have been at the game in question (I have Oakland A's season tickets). I'll have to check my stubbs. I have seen Ichiro play some amazing baseball, as he is so inclined. If anyone is going to threaten to hit .400 again it will most certainly be him to do it.

You might try MLB.com. With their video package you can access just about anything from any era. I, alas, am too cheap to shell out the $100 per year for such access.

Nice to see a Brit enjoy baseball!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 8 2005, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Apr 8 2005, 04:41 PM)
So, does anyone know how I can get a clip of the Ichiro throw?

confused13.gif

Chas I'm not aware of any clip of it on the net but I just found out it is on a DVD called "MLB Memorable Moments". Apparently there is a section on the dvd called "Ichiro 2001" and has the clip in question.

OK, thanks. It seems that is gonna be the only option.http://members.lycos.nl/bauerpower/hpbimg/Smilies/hoedje006.gif

Just hope I can get a DVD in region 2. http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/hope.gif

Archived