I Feel Sick To My Stomach! Jim Joyce Better Get A

RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (g under p @ Jun 3 2010, 04:36 PM)
Galarraga will become more famous because of this almost perfect game you watch and see. People will be talking about it for years to come, I do admire his poise after the game tremendous for such a young pitcher.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

Best post of the thread. I have thought this several times today.

You know who else gets famous? Jake Donald. I don't think he's going to have a stellar MLB career, but he will always be remembered as the guy who got on base in the almost perfecto henceforth.

This fame goes double if MLB actually gets replay as a result of this bumbling mishap.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 3 2010, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 2 2010, 08:51 PM)
I can't believe the blown call by first base umpire Jim Joyce.

He ruined another Perfect Game tonight in Detroit.  I can't believe my eyes.

The runner was out by a step. This will be on ESPN all night. 

ARMANDO GOT SCREWED!!!!!  WHERE ARE YOU TIGER FANS?

For Pete's sake, calm down. I'm right here.

I was watching that game. Was I upset at the blown call? Yes. Was I ready to see Joyce fired? Yes.

Then it occurred to me. He's got 21 years of experience at doing this job, and he probably gets that call right well over 99% of the time. This happened to be the time he didn't.

While Galarraga got gipped, but the Tigers still won, something they've not done a lot of here recently. I was incredulous when it happened, but I'm just glad the umpire came out and immediately apologized for blowing the call. All-in-all, it was handled well on all sides. I saw that Mike Greenberg on ESPN was trying to say that Selig should just overrule the bad call and give him the perfect game. A very shortsighted and dumb idea.

What this event SHOULD do is provide the push to finally get instant replay in MLB! There were two other critical blown calls last night as well that should help also, one in the Minnesota/Seattle game where it appears the ump missed the call at second that allowed the winning run to score, and another game where a guy scoring from second was ruled out for not touching 3rd, when replay showed he clearly did.

Yeah, I need to calm down and move on. I know Bud is not going to reverse the call for the integrity of the game, however now they may do instant replay for all blown calls?

Hey at least the Tigers crushed again today! Wasn't Joyce behind the plate today?

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 3 2010, 05:07 PM)
Hey at least the Tigers crushed again today! Wasn't Joyce behind the plate today?

Yeah he was.

Hey did we win? Check the scoreboard.....whattya know, we win 12-6. Maybe the whole imperfecto thing will rally the team into a nice 20-game winning streak. cool.gif

Or at least I can dream. laugh.gif

I do admire his poise after the game tremendous for such a young pitcher.

Cabrera had the worst expression on his face that I've ever seen; he looked like he was going to cry or something.

edit: this is not a knock against him. It shocked me how Galarraga just smiled, and Cabrera looked so disappointed.

Edited by Xanadu93

Guessing should not be part of officiating.

But it's the only explanation for the Tiger's call and the call that went against the Rays wed. night that cost them a run but, fortunately, not the game. I have never been a fan of instant replay but I don't see how this can go on.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 3 2010, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Jun 3 2010, 07:21 AM)
I read on the Detroit Free Press site where there may be video proof Gallaraga bobbled the ball while covering first. The official scorekeeper can review the video on it and change his ruling from a hit to an error. He has up to 24 hours after the end of the game in question to reverse his decision.

The scorekeeping change would give Gallaraga a no-hitter, but no perfect game. The scorekeeper doesn't have the authority to overturn an umpire's call.

Great point! applaudit.gif

I saw that last night. I didn;t interpret it as a bobble. It was caught like the proverbial "snow-cone" and then he re-gripped it deeper into the mitt in the palm but he never lost control and it never left the mitt imo. This aspect of the catch is likely what caused the bad call. In plays this close the umps will actually use their ears to make the call, ie, listening for the ball/mitt sound in relation to the foot/bag sound. Since he caught it at the end of the webbing the catch was virtually silent. At least that's my two cents.

Heartbreaking! sad.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 3 2010, 04:12 PM)
I do admire his poise after the game tremendous for such a young pitcher.

Cabrera had the worst expression on his face that I've ever seen; he looked like he was going to cry or something.

edit: this is not a knock against him. It shocked me how Galarraga just smiled, and Cabrera looked so disappointed.

they'll feel alot better when they look at their next paycheck.

I heard someone was giving Galarraga a Corvette for his outstanding pitching performance.

QUOTE (g under p @ Jun 3 2010, 06:25 PM)
I heard someone was giving Galarraga a Corvette for his outstanding pitching performance.

That is correct. I confirmed it earlier on another post. I saw it with my own eyes on the boob tube.

A nice "Little Red Corvette."

Signed,

Prince

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Jun 3 2010, 08:20 AM)
I just saw the pre-game activities in Detroit. Jim Joyce is the home plate umpire today. The Tigers had Gallaraga bring out the line-up for todays game. You could see Joyce was very emotional in the moment.

That's fantastic!! These two men have dealt with this issue with true class. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Horrible situation with no good solution. As much as I would love to see this guy get his perfect game, it would open up Pandora's box. 10 million calls get blown every season with no recourse, so as mush as it blows, I can't see them changing the call. You can't go back and fix mistakes. This one is huge but games are blown on bad calls all the time, and its just reality.

This guy will be remembered for this effort, and we will always know he pitched a perfect game no matter what. That poor umpire will be defined by last night and that's his cross to bear.

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 3 2010, 10:14 PM)
Horrible situation with no good solution. As much as I would love to see this guy get his perfect game, it would open up Pandora's box. 10 million calls get blown every season with no recourse, so as mush as it blows, I can't see them changing the call. You can't go back and fix mistakes. This one is huge but games are blown on bad calls all the time, and its just reality.
This guy will be remembered for this effort, and we will always know he pitched a perfect game no matter what. That poor umpire will be defined by last night and that's his cross to bear.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 3 2010, 07:14 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 3 2010, 07:33 PM)

goodpost.gif

That's weird man, we both used the "good posting" smiley at the same time!!!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 3 2010, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 3 2010, 07:33 PM)

goodpost.gif

That's weird man, we both used the "good posting" smiley at the same time!!!

whoa! laugh.gif

QUOTE (g under p @ Jun 3 2010, 09:25 PM)

I want to say that it was either the team president or the GM, I'm not sure though.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 3 2010, 06:10 PM)

I want to say that it was either the team president or the GM, I'm not sure though.

Nice gesture, but it doesn't mean a whole lot in the big picture. smile.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 3 2010, 10:14 PM)

Better than nothing and I hope he can fit in it.

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 3 2010, 08:14 PM)

Quite the Big "Moving Pictures" if you ask me.

Maybe Hollyshit will make a movie about it.

I know Brad Pitt was in Oakland last week checking out the Coliseum.

"Money Ball" is back on the green light sports fans.

Signed,

Billy Jelly Beane

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 3 2010, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Jun 3 2010, 08:20 AM)
I just saw the pre-game activities in Detroit. Jim Joyce is the home plate umpire today. The Tigers had Gallaraga bring out the line-up for todays game. You could see Joyce was very emotional in the moment.

That's fantastic!! These two men have dealt with this issue with true class. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

LINK