I Feel Sick To My Stomach! Jim Joyce Better Get A

RUSHHEAD666

Plain wrong. They need instant replay for everything not just Home Runs. The umps get worse and worse as the years go by. They really should overturn this, but they won't comp26.gif Edited by metaldad

E.S.P.N is reporting that MLB is looking into reversing that call, wise move yes.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 3 2010, 02:29 AM)
No excuse. He was out by at least a full step.

If there was any doubt we need instant replay in baseball...

I hope they don't open that pandora's box. Instant replay sucks in the NFL and it will hurt baseball in the long run. I'm disappointed that the league let instant replay in the door. It's downhill from here. One day you'll have instant replay for balls and strikes. That's how these things end up.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 12:32 PM)
Plain wrong. They need instant replay for everything not just Home Runs. The umps get worse and worse as the years go by. They really should overturn this, but they won't comp26.gif

It would ruin baseball. The game would slow to an absolute crawl. The league has worked hard to shorten games by giving time limits to pithcers on the mound. Why reverse it with something that will end up ruining the game?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 12:40 PM)
E.S.P.N is reporting that MLB is looking into reversing that call, wise move yes.gif

I would be shocked if they reversed this, it's just NOT that simple but it will keep some form of further instant replay in play for implementation.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jun 3 2010, 01:03 PM)
Plain wrong. They need instant replay for everything not just Home Runs. The umps get worse and worse as the years go by. They really should overturn this, but they won't comp26.gif

It would ruin baseball. The game would slow to an absolute crawl. The league has worked hard to shorten games by giving time limits to pithcers on the mound. Why reverse it with something that will end up ruining the game?

Something has to be done . These umps today are terrible . I am not saying review Everything, just really close plays especially when it's a Perfect Game on the line

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 01:35 PM)

Something has to be done . These umps today are terrible . I am not saying review Everything, just really close plays especially when it's a Perfect Game on the line

It's like anything in our society. Once we let it in, it will grow in increments. Look at the NFL. Too many bad rules. The Brady rule? A complete joke. Not allowing DBs to fight for the ball? Complete joke.

Overall, the umps do a pretty good job. To me, human error is part of the game. Sometimes there are blown calls. The one from yesterday just happened to be one of the biggest of all time in any sport.

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Jun 3 2010, 10:20 AM)
I just saw the pre-game activities in Detroit. Jim Joyce is the home plate umpire today. The Tigers had Gallaraga bring out the line-up for todays game. You could see Joyce was very emotional in the moment.

I'm watching my A's have another lead at Fenway this morning. I hope they don't blow the lead again. Jesus! Killing me. Suzuki has two bombs today off of Wakefield.

Anyway MLB NETWORK cut to the Tiger game today and they showed that line up card exchange. You can see Jim tear up. The guilt must be killing that old man. REVERSE THE CALL!

My dad told me today that they are already selling Jim Joyce pillows and stuff that says JIM JOYCE SUCKS. They should make those stress dolls casted in a Jim Joyce mold so people can punch and squeeze his plastic melon and body.

On the bright side, it was nice to see the Tigers Organization give Gallaraga a brand new red Corvette at the stadium today.

Where the hell are you Cocky?

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jun 3 2010, 01:39 PM)

It's like anything in our society. Once we let it in, it will grow in increments. Look at the NFL. Too many bad rules. The Brady rule? A complete joke. Not allowing DBs to fight for the ball? Complete joke.

Overall, the umps do a pretty good job. To me, human error is part of the game. Sometimes there are blown calls. The one from yesterday just happened to be one of the biggest of all time in any sport.

I understand Everyone makes mistakes but this is Baseball History this guy screwed up . I really think they need it for things like this

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 01:58 PM)

I understand Everyone makes mistakes but this is Baseball History this guy screwed up . I really think they need it for things like this

But what will the limits be? Instant replay was brought in for the first time this season to review home runs. Only two months into its first season and now we're already talking about expanding it? See where I'm going? Instant replay will eventually snowball to be used on balls and strikes. It should have never been allowed. A blown call here and there is not nearly as bad as ruining the game.

I feel for the pitcher. I feel for the fans and I feel for the umpire. But let's keep things in perspective.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jun 3 2010, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 01:58 PM)

But what will the limits be? Instant replay was brought in for the first time this season to review home runs. Only two months into its first season and now we're already talking about expanding it? See where I'm going? Instant replay will eventually snowball to be used on balls and strikes. It should have never been allowed. A blown call here and there is not nearly as bad as ruining the game.

I feel for the pitcher. I feel for the fans and I feel for the umpire. But let's keep things in perspective.

I do understand what you are saying, i do. Do you not think replay would have helped in this situation ? The H.R. replay is great because i have seen Many times balls that were clearly H.R.'S called foul . Football replays are a whole different ballgame biggrin.gif Balls and Strikes? No, not yet but they better start teaching these umps a lot better and i do think they all need a refresher course because they really don't have a clue anymore

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 2 2010, 08:51 PM)
I can't believe the blown call by first base umpire Jim Joyce.

He ruined another Perfect Game tonight in Detroit. I can't believe my eyes.

The runner was out by a step. This will be on ESPN all night.

ARMANDO GOT SCREWED!!!!! WHERE ARE YOU TIGER FANS?

For Pete's sake, calm down. I'm right here.

I was watching that game. Was I upset at the blown call? Yes. Was I ready to see Joyce fired? Yes.

Then it occurred to me. He's got 21 years of experience at doing this job, and he probably gets that call right well over 99% of the time. This happened to be the time he didn't.

While Galarraga got gipped, but the Tigers still won, something they've not done a lot of here recently. I was incredulous when it happened, but I'm just glad the umpire came out and immediately apologized for blowing the call. All-in-all, it was handled well on all sides. I saw that Mike Greenberg on ESPN was trying to say that Selig should just overrule the bad call and give him the perfect game. A very shortsighted and dumb idea.

What this event SHOULD do is provide the push to finally get instant replay in MLB! There were two other critical blown calls last night as well that should help also, one in the Minnesota/Seattle game where it appears the ump missed the call at second that allowed the winning run to score, and another game where a guy scoring from second was ruled out for not touching 3rd, when replay showed he clearly did.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 2 2010, 09:07 PM)
I was gonna start a thread, but then I lost Internet thanks to a storm here. I was watching the end of the game, and I couldn't believe the call. Probably the worst feeling I've had this year after watching baseball.

You and me both. sad.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 3 2010, 12:19 PM)
Where's Rush Cocky?
Must be still in a state of shock. ohmy.gif tongue.gif

I was initially as ticked off as most Tiger fans as I saw it when it happened. HAD THE DUDE NOT APOLOGIZED, that would have been like throwing white gas on my fire. But he seemed truly distraught by everything, even hunted down Galarraga personally to apologize to him. So I have no beef with Joyce.

The guy didn't even want to take a day off......he's behind home plate today in our game this afternoon. I bet there are plenty of jerkoff Tigers fans giving him an earful though.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 01:40 PM)

And what the hell is that supposed to accomplish? Lest we forgot, let me remind everyone:

THE TIGERS WON THE GAME!!!!!!!

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jun 3 2010, 02:39 PM)

Stop it liquidcrystalcompass, you're making too much sense! laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Jun 3 2010, 07:21 AM)
I read on the Detroit Free Press site where there may be video proof Gallaraga bobbled the ball while covering first. The official scorekeeper can review the video on it and change his ruling from a hit to an error. He has up to 24 hours after the end of the game in question to reverse his decision.

The scorekeeping change would give Gallaraga a no-hitter, but no perfect game. The scorekeeper doesn't have the authority to overturn an umpire's call.

Great point! applaudit.gif

ESPN now reports that MLB will Not overturn it . Another Great job by Bud. Can someone please get rid of this assclown

Don Denkingers blown call in the 85 WS is the biggest blown call ever in baseball. It cost St. Louis the title.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 03:29 PM)
ESPN now reports that MLB will Not overturn it . Another Great job by Bud. Can someone please get rid of this assclown

THAT was actually the right move. yes.gif

If BS decides not to install instant replay immediately, MLB fans need to storm his residence like the French on Bastille Day.

ENOUGH ALREADY! angry.gif

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Jun 3 2010, 03:38 PM)
Don Denkingers blown call in the 85 WS is the biggest blown call ever in baseball. It cost St. Louis the title.

Certainly debateable since that happened in game 6.

And since they will likely never win another World Series, I personally was glad to see the Royals win one for once. smile.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 3 2010, 02:51 PM)

If BS decides not to install instant replay immediately, MLB fans need to storm his residence like the French on Bastille Day.

I played baseball/football in school so maybe i take to heart more than some others but the runner was out and not even close, he should have reversed the call imo

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2010, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 3 2010, 02:51 PM)

I played baseball/football in school so maybe i take to heart more than some others but the runner was out and not even close, he should have reversed the call imo

That's not true, it was actually VERY close. I've watched the replay of that call about 50 times already. But there's nothing really to be gained from changing the call at this point anyway. I actually like the scorekeeper changing the hit to an error idea, that way at least AG gets a no-hitter out of the deal, which is a decent consolation prize. smile.gif

I don't fault Joyce for missing the call. I DO wonder: 1) why was he in such poor position to make the call in the first place; 2) why the other 2 umps didn't see the call at all; 3) why they didn't have a conference to talk about it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... joycescall

There's no way this buffoon could reverse the call and change the game to a perfect game. These things unfortunately happen in sports and we would be heading down a slippery slope of oblivion.

Galarraga will become more famous because of this almost perfect game you watch and see. People will be talking about it for years to come, I do admire his poise after the game tremendous for such a young pitcher.

Edited by g under p