• Please log in to reply
802 replies to this topic

#801 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 24 2011, 08:44 AM)
QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 9 2010, 06:36 PM)

On another level, it's hard to believe that this is the same band that wrote YYZ, or Freewill, or Spirit of Radio.  It is nowhere near that level of composition and production and any honest person with a pair of ears can tell you that.  I still find it perplexing that these guys would not sit down in the studio and say, "okay, we have all the money we need.  we are just doing this for the love of the music and we can afford all the studio time in the world.  Let's take our time and make something really good for our fans.  Let's make sure these songs have great production, arrangements, a blistering guitar solo, great hook riff, hummable vocable melody.  Let's top Tom Sawyer or Closer To The Heart, because after all we have 30 years more experience at writing rock songs and enough money to take our time and develop and revise ideas."  (S n A was 3 years ago.)  Instead this stuff sounds like a cut and paste jam although yes, flashes of the old glory are evident... but I think they are just too rich now to care enough anymore.  Alex writes a riff in a hurry and emails it Geddy so he doesn't miss his tee off time on the golf course.  That sort of thing.  Maybe the lesson is that rich jaded people don't have much left to say.  Alex is trying to hard to be super-heavy.  He is still in the throes of a midlife crisis  and doesn't want to be like Eric Clapton playing the geriatric-shuffle version of Layla.  It's like he's telling us, "forget my bald spot:  I crank a heavier, more badass riff than I did in '76 on 2112.  He needs to give his head a shake.

I don't care about the "you can't please everyone" crap.....for the most part, this is a good post....

I like it too.  He raises excellent points that need raising. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Sponsored Post

#802 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33769 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2011, 07:09 PM)

On another level, it's hard to believe that this is the same band that wrote YYZ, or Freewill, or Spirit of Radio.  It is nowhere near that level of composition and production and any honest person with a pair of ears can tell you that.  I still find it perplexing that these guys would not sit down in the studio and say, "okay, we have all the money we need.  we are just doing this for the love of the music and we can afford all the studio time in the world.  Let's take our time and make something really good for our fans.  Let's make sure these songs have great production, arrangements, a blistering guitar solo, great hook riff, hummable vocable melody.  Let's top Tom Sawyer or Closer To The Heart, because after all we have 30 years more experience at writing rock songs and enough money to take our time and develop and revise ideas."  (S n A was 3 years ago.)  Instead this stuff sounds like a cut and paste jam although yes, flashes of the old glory are evident... but I think they are just too rich now to care enough anymore.  Alex writes a riff in a hurry and emails it Geddy so he doesn't miss his tee off time on the golf course.  That sort of thing.  Maybe the lesson is that rich jaded people don't have much left to say.  Alex is trying to hard to be super-heavy.  He is still in the throes of a midlife crisis  and doesn't want to be like Eric Clapton playing the geriatric-shuffle version of Layla.  It's like he's telling us, "forget my bald spot:  I crank a heavier, more badass riff than I did in '76 on 2112.  He needs to give his head a shake.

I don't care about the "you can't please everyone" crap.....for the most part, this is a good post....

I like it too.  He raises excellent points that need raising. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

He also raises questions that are irrelevant to the guys in the band. And that's important when you consider that Rush has always wrote music for them first, and us second.

They don't write "Xanadu" or "Hemispheres"-type prog anymore because THEY'RE not into writing that kind of music anymore. It's the stuff many of the old-school fans are into, but they don't write for the fans.

When they wrote Vapor Trails and S&A, that's the kind of music they were into at the time. And those two albums couldn't be more different from each other. And the two new songs sound different from those two albums

As for the money-making angle, the band tours to make money. They sell DVDs of every tour to make money. But they write music for them.

#803 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 24 2011, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2011, 07:09 PM)

He also raises questions that are irrelevant to the guys in the band. And that's important when you consider that Rush has always wrote music for them first, and us second.

They don't write "Xanadu" or "Hemispheres"-type prog anymore because THEY'RE not into writing that kind of music anymore. It's the stuff many of the old-school fans are into, but they don't write for the fans.

When they wrote Vapor Trails and S&A, that's the kind of music they were into at the time. And those two albums couldn't be more different from each other. And the two new songs sound different from those two albums

As for the money-making angle, the band tours to make money. They sell DVDs of every tour to make money. But they write music for them.

They do write music for them, but they sure don't do it very often.  It seems to me that they do a studio album only when they've gone through every possible scenario of figuring out how to go on tours, stretch tours out and release tons of live material an DVD's before they finally must say to themselves, "ok, I guess we HAVE to make a studio album now or this is gonna start looking really bad."  It might not actually be that way, but that's sure how it comes across to me.

If studio albums is really what they do "for them," they sure are often chintzy with themselves given the several year gap between albums.

Maybe they do make music for them, but all the touring and live releases and DVD's that makes tons of tons of cash - well, that cash is kind of for them as well, don't ya think? wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users