What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

After four books on rock music (1971, Dylan Goes Electric!, Rush in the '70s, and Metallica: Into the Black [side note, James and Lars can be real arseholes, can't they?]), I've decided to go back to some fiction:

416ovTlpteL._SY346_.jpg

• Like 1

Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.

Laugh all you like, I ignored the whole hype when it came out, the mini series, all of it. What the heck do I care about a dove?

What an escape!

The perfect summer novel. Written 35 years ago I heard wind of it two years ago and reading for the third time.

Retired Texas Rangers in the later 1800s, love, trials and tribulations (!), his writing is next to perfect - aside from one's personal taste in style.

Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.

Laugh all you like, I ignored the whole hype when it came out, the mini series, all of it. What the heck do I care about a dove?

What an escape!

The perfect summer novel. Written 35 years ago I heard wind of it two years ago and reading for the third time.

Retired Texas Rangers in the later 1800s, love, trials and tribulations (!), his writing is next to perfect - aside from one's personal taste in style.

You mean all the poking? :poke:
  • Like 1

The Answer Is, by Alex Trebek.

Is Sean Connery in it?

Haven't got too far into the book, but I don't think so, and neither is TheRapist!
  • Like 1

That reference to Sean Connery - it's an SNL game show, correct? Same letters, different meaning. But not adding a smiley face to this - so weird out of context.

I just read this little tome about Black Sabbath:

412pQ6tz+IL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Beforehand, I had always sort of casually assumed that cocaine -- while temporarily exhilarating -- was a debilitating drug, but apparently, if you're Tony Iommi, you can ingest "piles of cocaine like sacks of flour" for nearly thirty years and just keep on ticking!

Rock 'n' roll, man.

• Like 2

Ghost stories...hmmm, not sure.

Me? Ted Simon, Jupiter's Travels. A motorcycle trip around the world in the mid 1970s.

Just finished Tim Moore's French Revolutions, great read - the worst candidate for such an ordeal, a great writer to capture such an adventure. Some very funny, peculiar stuff.

• Like 1

Is Sean Connery in it?

Nothing to do with Sean "Trebek, your mother's a whore" Connery, but I thought of you, Blackhawkrush, when I read a review of this book (which was positive about it):

51mO5fV-nqL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Poland-1939-Outbreak-World-War-dp-0465095380/dp/0465095380/ref=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1598915181

Is Sean Connery in it?

Nothing to do with Sean "Trebek, your mother's a whore" Connery, but I thought of you, Blackhawkrush, when I read a review of this book (which was positive about it):

51mO5fV-nqL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Poland-1939-Outbreak-World-War-dp-0465095380/dp/0465095380/ref=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1598915181

That looks interesting
  • Like 1