Jump to content


What are you reading?


  • Please log in to reply
5693 replies to this topic

#5681 spaceaudity11

spaceaudity11

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Boston
  • Interests:Literature, psychology and good music

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:06 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 29 September 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

View Postspaceaudity11, on 29 September 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

I really don't have time to read for fun anymore, but I am reading a very heavily annotated Bible (my first experience reading the Bible) for my philosophy/theology class.

Oxford Annotated NRSV? Or the Norton NKJV?

Oxford Annotated NRSV, sorry I haven't been on here for quite a while!

Sponsored Post

#5682 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2865 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 27 October 2019 - 10:23 AM

View Postpjbear05, on 21 October 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:


Next (in no particular order):

The Only Plane in the Sky:  An Oral History of 9/11, by Garrett M. Graff.
Wow, this was a stunner.  Utilizing quotes from interviews of eyewitnesses Graff tells a concise account of this entire tragic day.  The book moves back and forth between the various venues.The chapters relating to the crash at the Pentagon and aboard Air Force One were particularly moving, imho. Definitely the best 9/11 history I've seen, book or other media.

Edited by pjbear05, 27 October 2019 - 10:26 AM.


#5683 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 18353 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

Something Deeply Hidden - Sean Carroll

#5684 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    A Passenger to Bangkok

  • Members
  • 6627 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:13 AM

Posted Image

A good example of JDM's work, although not a "Travis McGee" novel.

Despite featuring Cher on the cover, Cher did not appear in the book. :(

Posted Image
Still Life with Cher and Ashtray

#5685 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    A Passenger to Bangkok

  • Members
  • 6627 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 23 September 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:


Posted Image
Good old-fashioned detective novel.


Very enjoyable old-school detective novel. Well-written, and with some excellent descriptions.

Ross Macdonald kicks ass. I'll have to pick up a few more of his books. Looks like there's a good bio out there too.

Posted Image

#5686 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2865 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:21 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 30 October 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 23 September 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

Posted Image
Good old-fashioned detective novel.


Very enjoyable old-school detective novel. Well-written, and with some excellent descriptions.

Ross Macdonald kicks ass. I'll have to pick up a few more of his books. Looks like there's a good bio out there too.

Posted Image
I've read most if not all of Travis McGee series, very enjoyable.  If you like Macdonald you might want to check out Lawrence Sanders.  His 2 series of Deadly Sin and Commandment books, all based in NYC, make for great old school detective fiction.

#5687 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    A Passenger to Bangkok

  • Members
  • 6627 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:31 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 30 October 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 30 October 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 23 September 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

Posted Image
Good old-fashioned detective novel.


Very enjoyable old-school detective novel. Well-written, and with some excellent descriptions.

Ross Macdonald kicks ass. I'll have to pick up a few more of his books. Looks like there's a good bio out there too.

Posted Image
I've read most if not all of Travis McGee series, very enjoyable.  If you like Macdonald you might want to check out Lawrence Sanders.  His 2 series of Deadly Sin and Commandment books, all based in NYC, make for great old school detective fiction.

Thanks, pjbear05! I'll check him out. :cheers:

#5688 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

    Many Happy Returns

  • Members *
  • 8127 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:46 AM

Thomas Sowell - Controversial Essays

#5689 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 69145 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:17 AM

A whole bunch of stuff related to math curriculum and the teaching of algebra.  Always looking for new ideas...

#5690 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 823 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:40 AM

View Postgoose, on 03 November 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

A whole bunch of stuff related to math curriculum and the teaching of algebra.  Always looking for new ideas...

Maybe you could come up with yet another "new" way of teaching basic multiplication and division that parents don't know! :codger: :banghead: :P

Over here on the language side of the ledger:

Posted Image

#5691 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2865 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:49 PM

Elvis in Vegas:  How The King Reinvented the Las Vegas Show, by Richard Zoglin.

#5692 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 18353 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

View Postgoose, on 03 November 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

A whole bunch of stuff related to math curriculum and the teaching of algebra.  Always looking for new ideas...
I thought you were retired!

#5693 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 823 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:23 PM

My nerd worlds collide!

Posted Image

#5694 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2865 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

Raven Rock:  The Story of the U. S. Government's Secret Plan to Save Itself-While the Rest of Us Die, by Garrett M Graff.  Nuclear attacks, presidential succession, continuity of government, and other end times stuff.  Got interested after reading Graff's 9/11 book.  This one is scary good.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users