Jump to content


What are you reading?


  • Please log in to reply
5867 replies to this topic

#5601 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    A Passenger to Bangkok

  • Members
  • 6889 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 July 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

I devour fantasy books for breakfast!

And then I excrete Kevin J Anderson novels before lunchtime.

Posted Image
"Feel the power of my rheumy gaze!"

Sponsored Post

#5602 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 39409 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Favourite bands:
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Iced Earth
    Fleet Foxes
    Rush
    Biffy Clyro
    Nightwish
    After Forever
    Epica
    Lacuna Coil
    Toto
    Dream Theater
    Trivium

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:58 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 08 July 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 July 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

I devour fantasy books for breakfast!

And then I excrete Kevin J Anderson novels before lunchtime.

Posted Image
"Feel the power of my rheumy gaze!"

He is a terrible author. Tried some of his books before I even liked Rush.

#5603 Krystal

Krystal

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 408 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Rush, Muse, Ghost, Lana Del Rey, Paloma Faith

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:10 PM

I'm reading A Summer In Sonoma by Robyn Carr because I liked the cover and it seemed like a good summer read from the title of it alone.  I accidentally stumbled upon it when I went to the bookstore to search for novels by Iris Johansen and Philippa Gregory.

#5604 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Oracle

  • Members *
  • 10149 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:21 PM

I'd never heard of this guy before about 2 weeks ago and then I was at the library last Saturday and saw his book.

Posted Image

#5605 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 10633 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:29 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 09 July 2019 - 09:21 PM, said:

I'd never heard of this guy before about 2 weeks ago and then I was at the library last Saturday and saw his book.

Posted Image

Let us know how the book is! I have watched some of his stuff on YouTube and he was hilarious. :ebert:

#5606 pjbear05

pjbear05

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3759 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

The Shadow President:  The Truth About Mike Pence, by Michael D'Antonio & Peter Eisner.

#5607 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

    A modern day warrior

  • Members *
  • 13713 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ammoflage
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, listening to music. Reading.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:06 AM

ghost rider, for the 5th time. but it's been over 5 years since I read it, may more.

#5608 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    A Passenger to Bangkok

  • Members
  • 6889 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

Read 20% of the Pynchon book and then closed it. No tension, no humour, just a bunch of characters with odd names, and some very tired sixties/dope tropes. I was hoping for something a bit more interesting or experimental, I guess. It was like if Carl Hiaasen had a head injury.
I'll give him another try though. This one just wasn't for me.

Time for some essays by this misanthropic maniac:
Posted Image

Burroughs' non-fiction stuff is pretty sweet. He was no dummy, despite many poor life choices. :P
He was book-smart, street-smart, and gun-smart, but failed miserably at dealing with humans.
Damn good writer though.

Posted Image
"When you stop growing you start dying." - Junky

#5609 Hunted Witch

Hunted Witch

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 125 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hawaii
  • Interests:Comics, movies, science fiction, horror, fantasy, fashion, travel, true crime, cooking, cartoons, cats

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:56 PM

Finally getting started on Gormenghast.

#5610 Jack Aubrey

Jack Aubrey

    The Gun Crank

  • Moderator
  • 22380 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The firing line.
  • Interests:Studying Scripture, movies, reading, military history, target shooting, drums and percussion, temperate, jungle, desert, arctic, and urban survival, saltwater fishing, playing with and training my dogs Sam and River, prepping and tactical training.

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 July 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

View PostJack Aubrey, on 08 July 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

Since I loved the video games, I decided to read Andrzej Sapkowski's The Witcher series. I am currently on book seven, The Lady Of The Lake. I have liked them a great deal and I definitely recommend them.

They are on my to read list. I devour fantasy books for breakfast!

I truly hope you like them as much as I do!

#5611 pjbear05

pjbear05

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3759 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

Enemy Contact:  A Jack Ryan Jr. Novel, by Mike Maden.
A fairly good picking up of the Tom Clancy mantle; but so far Mark Greaney does it best.

#5612 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2902 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:03 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 13 July 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Read 20% of the Pynchon book and then closed it. No tension, no humour, just a bunch of characters with odd names, and some very tired sixties/dope tropes. I was hoping for something a bit more interesting or experimental, I guess. It was like if Carl Hiaasen had a head injury.
I'll give him another try though. This one just wasn't for me.

Time for some essays by this misanthropic maniac:
Posted Image

Burroughs' non-fiction stuff is pretty sweet. He was no dummy, despite many poor life choices. :P
He was book-smart, street-smart, and gun-smart, but failed miserably at dealing with humans.
Damn good writer though.

Posted Image
"When you stop growing you start dying." - Junky

I thought the pseudo-noir was hilarious (I also like Lethem's Gun, With Occasional Music), but to each their own! That's why they publish so many books. I, for instance, have never like Burroughs.

#5613 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    A Passenger to Bangkok

  • Members
  • 6889 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:11 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 15 July 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 13 July 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Read 20% of the Pynchon book and then closed it. No tension, no humour, just a bunch of characters with odd names, and some very tired sixties/dope tropes. I was hoping for something a bit more interesting or experimental, I guess. It was like if Carl Hiaasen had a head injury.
I'll give him another try though. This one just wasn't for me.

Time for some essays by this misanthropic maniac:
Posted Image

Burroughs' non-fiction stuff is pretty sweet. He was no dummy, despite many poor life choices. :P
He was book-smart, street-smart, and gun-smart, but failed miserably at dealing with humans.
Damn good writer though.

Posted Image
"When you stop growing you start dying." - Junky

I thought the pseudo-noir was hilarious (I also like Lethem's Gun, With Occasional Music), but to each their own! That's why they publish so many books. I, for instance, have never like Burroughs.

I really like the old-timey detective novels, but they always have tension. Maybe some crept into the book after I crept out, but there wasn't much to keep me going past page 70. (Same with "Finnegan's Wake" and "Clockwork Angels" :P )

I know what you mean about Burroughs. It all depends on which one you pick up first, I think. "Junky" was my first exposure to him, and I thought he painted a pretty grim picture very well. If I started with any of the others, I'm pretty sure I would've been put off.
"Western Lands" was another one that had some great writing in it, and a plot that could almost be followed. :D
I tend to stick with his non-fiction stuff these days. It's less sticky.

#5614 That One Guy

That One Guy

    Straight Outta Sunnyvale

  • Members *
  • 30910 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Hiking, guitar, camping, recreational driving, reading, companionship, travel, the occasional videogame

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:13 PM

Enjoying this so far!

Posted Image

#5615 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:13 AM

View PostNova Carmina, on 07 July 2019 - 04:16 PM, said:

MacBeth by Jo Nesbo. A retelling of the story set in gritty post-industrial 1970s Scotland.
Curious about this one, I haven't read any of his other works but this intrigues me.

#5616 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:21 AM

Continuing a re-listening to the Comoran Strike series just finished Career of Evil, forgot what a cliffhanger ending that had.  Just started Lethal White and it seems a bit off, not so sure I like it yet...

For non-fiction I have started Shortest Way Home: One Mayor's Challenge and a Model for America's Future.  Pete Buttigieg.  Smart guy, enjoying it alot.

#5617 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2902 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:50 AM

I'd recommend the MacBeth. It's tense and well-done, even though it's likely everyone reading it pretty much already knows the broad strokes of how it will turn out! The characters are good, the setting is grim and dank, the allusions to the play are (mostly) subtle and clever.

I liked a couple of Nesbo's detective novels, but after two or three, I got tired of the "drunk cop/ex-cop/detective self-hates his way through the crime" that was the basic plot of all of them.

#5618 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    A Passenger to Bangkok

  • Members
  • 6889 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:18 PM

Picked up this big bad boy yesterday. Looking forward to getting into it on the weekend.

Posted Image

It's a bit of a monster size-wise, but lotsa detail and lotsa information. :drool:
Also picked up "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote. I read it a few years ago and was really impressed by the writing, so decided to have another look.
Yay, gift-cards! :P

#5619 edhunter

edhunter

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5442 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:30 PM

She Comes First, by Doctor somebody or other.

Guaranteed to bring happiness to everybody.

#5620 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    A Passenger to Bangkok

  • Members
  • 6889 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:32 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 13 July 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:


Posted Image


"Who is keeping us from realizing our biological and spiritual destiny? These people are known as shits. They can't mind their
own business, because they have no business of their own to mind. The mark of a basic shit is that he has to be RIGHT. And in
order to be RIGHT he has to make someone else WRONG." - p. 82

You tell 'em, Bill!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users