What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Just finished Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451."

I enjoyed reading "Something Wicked This Way Comes" although the prose at times was overly poetic. It was quite creepy in spots, and well put together, and made me want to read another of his books. "Fahrenheit 451" is less "overripe", but just as compelling, with some eerily prescient passages. :o

I've never been into sci-fi, but am interested in checking out a few authors in the genre. Any recommendations? I don't know a Heinlein from a Pohl.

(Kevin J Anderson fans need not apply :P )

5d4427de945e8f85a56d39a367fb49c0.jpg

• Like 1

Just finished Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451."

I enjoyed reading "Something Wicked This Way Comes" although the prose at times was overly poetic. It was quite creepy in spots, and well put together, and made me want to read another of his books. "Fahrenheit 451" is less "overripe", but just as compelling, with some eerily prescient passages. :o

I've never been into sci-fi, but am interested in checking out a few authors in the genre. Any recommendations? I don't know a Heinlein from a Pohl.

(Kevin J Anderson fans need not apply :P )

5d4427de945e8f85a56d39a367fb49c0.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Bradbury is an excellent writer! My dad was a big sci-fi reader and the Bradbury books were about the only ones (along with Dune) that I liked to read out of that genre.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Pandemic 1918, by Catherine Arnold, regarding the Spanish influenza pandemic.

The flu did not originate in Spain, but was so named because Spanish press sources were the only ones reporting on the outbreaks. Other countries censored or suppressed the reports, fearing damage to WW1 morale. Spain was neutral, thus freeing up the press, and the name stuck.

Edited by pjbear05

Got two on the go right now, with a couple of old-school detective novels waiting in the wings.

Kerouac's "Dr. Sax" -- which is pretty lame so far. Weirdly reminds me of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" but without the focus.

kakuspan.jpg

"Jack, you need an editor!"

"No I don't! These are my holy words!"

"Asshole!"

And:

16495.jpg

I've only read one of his books (Do Androids Dream?) and put another one down (Scanner Darkly), so maybe this will make me pick it (or another) up again.

Weird dude. Weird, weird, weird dude. :yes:

• Like 1

I'm reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. Last week I watched the movie with Natassja Kinski.
  • Like 2

I'm reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. Last week I watched the movie with Natassja Kinski.

Such a beautifully written and agonizingly sad book. Thomas Hardy is my favorite author, and Tess is probably my favorite of his works.

• Like 1

9781627793995.jpg?uuid=SW86di29Eead425uehQADA

1971 was a hell of a year for rock and roll, so I was excited to read this. But, contrary to the book's title, I found this book to be a complete borefest. It reads like a timeline.

• Like 1

Just finished a book on my favorite architect and his arch rival. Great read, really helping bring to life a couple of groundbreaking and era defining artists who’ve been dead for 300 years. It’s called The Genius In Design: Bernini, Borromini, and the Rivalry that Transformed Rome.

Borromini’s my fav btw.

• Like 2

In the "Millennium series", I've read the fifth book called "the Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye" by "David Lagercrantz". I've read the previous books before, too, called "the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", "the Girl Who Played With Fire", "the Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" by "Stieg Larsson", and "the Girl In the Spider's Web" by "David Lagercrantz". Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

Racing To The Finish: My Story by Dale Earnhardt, Jr. It's the story of why he retired. He suffered what seemed like a minor crash in summer 2016 during a NASCAR race, but he started having blurred vision, nausea and dizzy spells. (And then kept on racing for a few weeks! :o) His history of previous concussions had kind of added up to give him brain damage, and no one knew if it would be permanent. The book is the story of his recovery and the (understandable if you ask me) decision to not risk that kind of injury again.

yOQ7xpYm.jpg

• Like 2

A little embarrassing, but I've been nibbling my way through lotr for the better part of the past few years. Anyway I've been on Return Of The King for months, and finally over the past few days I've sat myself down and started plowing through it. At last earlier this afternoon I reached Mt. Doom, and now I've stopped again with four chapters left in the whole trilogy, most of the action seemingly abided. I can say without a doubt lotr has been the greatest story I've ever read, especially including The Hobbit and The Simarillion, but I will be glad to turn my attention to other great works in this genre, and other great works in general. It's been years since I finished the first book of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice (or is it Ice and Fire), A Game of Thrones. I should be happy to pick up with A Clash of Kings once I'm finished with Tolkien's trilogy. Or perhaps I shall turn to C.S. Lewis' works. Or perhaps even borrow the Harry Potter books from my sisters. It seems to me I'm on the brink of being able to read freely and frequently for the first time since early high school. How enchanting.

Does it show I've been reading Tolkien? lol

Please listen to me. Skip all those and go straight to Robin Hobb. I will link you to an article later to whet your appetite. Then you can thank me later!

Robin Hobb? Never heard of it, but you seem so enthusiastic I’m intrigued. I’ve still got a day or two more before I finish off Return Of The King, so be my guest with the link!

https://writerscuppabrew.wordpress.com/2018/08/17/16-reasons-the-next-author-you-pick-up-is-robin-hobb/

Pirates and assassins I’m on board with. Character development awesome as well. The many points about equal representation I of course am more than glad to see, but don’t really tell me enough about the quality of the storytelling or plot to entice me. I will look for one of her books next time I’m at the library or bookstore, but forgive me if I happen to start something else first. Thank you for the recommendation though, I’ve not read much in the way of seafaring literature and would love to read something of the sort.

Its five series that unite to create one gigantic tale.

In order:

1. The Farseer Trilogy

Not a seafaring story, but the tale of the main hero Fitz, as he discovers he is a royal bastard with the task of learning to become a royal assassin. Can talk to animals, which is a feared skill. Amazing...AMAZING trilogy.

2. The Liveship Traders Trilogy

Set in the same world, for the most part it can be read as a completely seperate entity. Really amazing character development. It starts slow but once it all starts to come together it is phenomenal. Greatest fantasy trilogy I have ever read. It may appear to be seperate from the first trilogy, but both are essential for what comes next. Pirates galore. Seafaring adventures of the highest order, but it has plenty going on on land as well.

3. The Tawny Man Trilogy

The direct sequel to the first, but much of what happens in this trilogy is directly influenced by the astonishing events and climax of the Liveship Traders. Terrific, you fall absolutely in love with everything about this world for sure by this point (but if you reach this far, you are already well and truly hooked).

4. The Rain Wild Chronicles Quartet

In some ways a direct sequel to all that came before, but this time with a mostly whole new set of characters. World building galore, plus you learn a lot more about what happened directly after certain events of The Liveship Traders that was merely hinted at in Tawny Man. Slower going, but rich and diverse and indulgent. Currently on book two and it's great. Not as gripping as what came before, but I have been told it adds a lot of important details in preparation for the grand finale which is:

5. Fitz And The Fool Trilogy

Have yet to start this but my heart is yearning for a return to the characters of The Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy. Have been told this final trilogy ends the series (entitled in its entirety as "The Realm Of The Elderlings") by drawing together EVERYTHING that came before, travelling the full scope of the series and the world. Will be terrific to see how and what characters interact with each other from across the series (every subsequent series has cameos or full character arcs from other series, but I imagine this might be taken to the next level).

All in all, one of the greatest works of fiction I have ever read. Best aspects: the characters, the complex and intricately woven threads of plot and IT IS FINISHED!

Royal intrigue, wretched betrayals, tests of loyalty, a sprinkling of magic, pirates, dragons (oh the dragons), talking ships, three dimensional characters (even those that may only be minor, perhaps just a page or two), castles, sea battles, intrigue, mysterious sea serpents, a battle against flesh and blood (but one side having lost all humanity), love, patience, beauty, brutality, nature...both of the world at large and a deeper exploration of the inner person...

This series changed my life, and it is exceptional. And probably unfilmable. Which is why A Song Of Ice And Fire is so well known whilst series like this, whilst still massive sellers, fall beneath the radar somewhat.

Oh, and best of all? It is very different to Tolkien. Refreshing and intense literary fantasy.

Alright lol I’ll give it a shot. You recommend starting with book 1 trilogy 1?

Oh yes! The first trilogy is amazing. The second...you feel as if you are starting a whole new other series and then the third brings elements of both together and IT WORKS!!!

Book one is called The Assassin's Apprentice. Go to any bookstore, you will find that Robin Hobb tends to have a huge shelf almost all to herself!

Wouldn’t you know, I happened to be at Half Price Books earlier and found they only had two of her books, but one of them was book 1 of the first trilogy. I picked it up for one dollar! I’ll let you know once I start it.

YASSSSSSSSS

Some find it a slowburner but I loved it from the start. I have no idea how one person could right that entire sequence of books the way she did. It blows my mind!

I’m so caught up in Assassin’s Apprentice the past couple days. Love this!

A little embarrassing, but I've been nibbling my way through lotr for the better part of the past few years. Anyway I've been on Return Of The King for months, and finally over the past few days I've sat myself down and started plowing through it. At last earlier this afternoon I reached Mt. Doom, and now I've stopped again with four chapters left in the whole trilogy, most of the action seemingly abided. I can say without a doubt lotr has been the greatest story I've ever read, especially including The Hobbit and The Simarillion, but I will be glad to turn my attention to other great works in this genre, and other great works in general. It's been years since I finished the first book of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice (or is it Ice and Fire), A Game of Thrones. I should be happy to pick up with A Clash of Kings once I'm finished with Tolkien's trilogy. Or perhaps I shall turn to C.S. Lewis' works. Or perhaps even borrow the Harry Potter books from my sisters. It seems to me I'm on the brink of being able to read freely and frequently for the first time since early high school. How enchanting.

Does it show I've been reading Tolkien? lol

Please listen to me. Skip all those and go straight to Robin Hobb. I will link you to an article later to whet your appetite. Then you can thank me later!

Robin Hobb? Never heard of it, but you seem so enthusiastic I’m intrigued. I’ve still got a day or two more before I finish off Return Of The King, so be my guest with the link!

https://writerscuppabrew.wordpress.com/2018/08/17/16-reasons-the-next-author-you-pick-up-is-robin-hobb/

Pirates and assassins I’m on board with. Character development awesome as well. The many points about equal representation I of course am more than glad to see, but don’t really tell me enough about the quality of the storytelling or plot to entice me. I will look for one of her books next time I’m at the library or bookstore, but forgive me if I happen to start something else first. Thank you for the recommendation though, I’ve not read much in the way of seafaring literature and would love to read something of the sort.

Its five series that unite to create one gigantic tale.

In order:

1. The Farseer Trilogy

Not a seafaring story, but the tale of the main hero Fitz, as he discovers he is a royal bastard with the task of learning to become a royal assassin. Can talk to animals, which is a feared skill. Amazing...AMAZING trilogy.

2. The Liveship Traders Trilogy

Set in the same world, for the most part it can be read as a completely seperate entity. Really amazing character development. It starts slow but once it all starts to come together it is phenomenal. Greatest fantasy trilogy I have ever read. It may appear to be seperate from the first trilogy, but both are essential for what comes next. Pirates galore. Seafaring adventures of the highest order, but it has plenty going on on land as well.

3. The Tawny Man Trilogy

The direct sequel to the first, but much of what happens in this trilogy is directly influenced by the astonishing events and climax of the Liveship Traders. Terrific, you fall absolutely in love with everything about this world for sure by this point (but if you reach this far, you are already well and truly hooked).

4. The Rain Wild Chronicles Quartet

In some ways a direct sequel to all that came before, but this time with a mostly whole new set of characters. World building galore, plus you learn a lot more about what happened directly after certain events of The Liveship Traders that was merely hinted at in Tawny Man. Slower going, but rich and diverse and indulgent. Currently on book two and it's great. Not as gripping as what came before, but I have been told it adds a lot of important details in preparation for the grand finale which is:

5. Fitz And The Fool Trilogy

Have yet to start this but my heart is yearning for a return to the characters of The Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy. Have been told this final trilogy ends the series (entitled in its entirety as "The Realm Of The Elderlings") by drawing together EVERYTHING that came before, travelling the full scope of the series and the world. Will be terrific to see how and what characters interact with each other from across the series (every subsequent series has cameos or full character arcs from other series, but I imagine this might be taken to the next level).

All in all, one of the greatest works of fiction I have ever read. Best aspects: the characters, the complex and intricately woven threads of plot and IT IS FINISHED!

Royal intrigue, wretched betrayals, tests of loyalty, a sprinkling of magic, pirates, dragons (oh the dragons), talking ships, three dimensional characters (even those that may only be minor, perhaps just a page or two), castles, sea battles, intrigue, mysterious sea serpents, a battle against flesh and blood (but one side having lost all humanity), love, patience, beauty, brutality, nature...both of the world at large and a deeper exploration of the inner person...

This series changed my life, and it is exceptional. And probably unfilmable. Which is why A Song Of Ice And Fire is so well known whilst series like this, whilst still massive sellers, fall beneath the radar somewhat.

Oh, and best of all? It is very different to Tolkien. Refreshing and intense literary fantasy.

Alright lol I’ll give it a shot. You recommend starting with book 1 trilogy 1?

Oh yes! The first trilogy is amazing. The second...you feel as if you are starting a whole new other series and then the third brings elements of both together and IT WORKS!!!

Book one is called The Assassin's Apprentice. Go to any bookstore, you will find that Robin Hobb tends to have a huge shelf almost all to herself!

Wouldn’t you know, I happened to be at Half Price Books earlier and found they only had two of her books, but one of them was book 1 of the first trilogy. I picked it up for one dollar! I’ll let you know once I start it.

YASSSSSSSSS

Some find it a slowburner but I loved it from the start. I have no idea how one person could right that entire sequence of books the way she did. It blows my mind!

I’m so caught up in Assassin’s Apprentice the past couple days. Love this!

Just noticed this! So very excited for you and this journey! Highs and lows but this is epic on every level, and it gets BIGGER!

• Like 1

Got two on the go right now, with a couple of old-school detective novels waiting in the wings.

Kerouac's "Dr. Sax" -- which is pretty lame so far. Weirdly reminds me of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" but without the focus.

kakuspan.jpg

"Jack, you need an editor!"

"No I don't! These are my holy words!"

"Asshole!"

And:

16495.jpg

I've only read one of his books (Do Androids Dream?) and put another one down (Scanner Darkly), so maybe this will make me pick it (or another) up again.

Weird dude. Weird, weird, weird dude. :yes:

Well, "Dr. Sax" sucked. I could barely finish it, which is too bad. Kerouac rated this as one of his favourites but it ain't one of mine. He's trying too hard to be a hipster American James Joyce, and some of his wordplay is cringe-worthy. There are some good, poetic images, but for the most part a sadly boring and interminable read. Phooey!

The PK Dick bio was entertaining, but holy moley he was a dick complex human being with intense mother women issues. Didn't realize that he was a speed freak, which explains a lot. Can't say it made me want to read any of his stuff, but I was glad to know more about him.

Now reading:

1996303.jpg

From the inside cover:

Who snatched the kid...

the sadistic cop, the he-man lady,

the ex-stripper, or Cousin Alice

who always wanted to take off her

clothes? :o

???

• Like 1

The last month I have been addicted to a really gripping YA fantasy series: Throne Of Glass by Sarah J Maas.

I have read the first four volumes:

The Assassin's Blade (9/10)

Throne Of Glass (6/10)

Crown Of Midnight (9/10)

Heir Of Fire (10/10)

I am now onto the fifth volume: Queen Of Shadows

Absolutely love this series!