What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

This was interesting! There was a lot more to the guy than his short time with the Jefferson Airplane. He grew up all over the world because his dad was a government employee and he has made much, much music. I liked it a lot.

4sfkJEDm.jpg

• Like 2

Put a hold on something interesting. From Cradle to Stage: Stories from the Mothers who Rocked and Raised Rock Stars, by Virginia Hanlon Grohl. An expose on what it's like to be a rock and roll mom, based on interviews done by the mother of Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl.

Interviewees include Sandi Clark (Gary Clark Jr.), Hester Diamond (Beastie Boy Mike D), and Verna Griffin (Andre Young, bka Dr. Dre), amongst others.

Including some lady named Mary Weinrib.

Finally started this one. Some interesting musican's mothers interviews conducted by Dave's mom, interspersed with vignettes of her own experiences during his playing with Nirvana and the Foo Fighters. Some interesting children's pictures, including one of Ged and his mom on the back cover. The interview with Mary Weinrib is about midway through the book, and I'm taking my time reading this whole book, so it'll be a couple of days before I get to that point.

• Like 1

I borrowed "Far and Wide" (by Neil "Bubba" Peart) from the library. I can't figure it out. :huh:

5 questions:

a) Who is the intended audience? Rush fans? Then why the constant whine about "work" as well as the unhealthy attitude towards fans? Motorcycle enthusiasts probably won't be interested in "Bubble Guppies" and the like. Travel readers won't care about most of this. I play drums, travel, read, and enjoy Rush, and this is one f*ckin' shitty book. Are these blog entries cobbled into a "book"? I wouldn't be surprised.

b) Who taught this guy how to write? This stuff is so wooden I could fix a fence with it. The "wood whisperer" indeed!

c) Who told NP that quoting yourself is cool? I find it comes off as pretentious and douchey. "Well, in the words of myself..."

d) What's with the ""? Every f*cking page, some word in quotes that is nothing more than a knowing wink at the dinks who are reading this stink.

e) Will I finish reading it? Oh hell damn sweet-li'l-baby-jesus crap titties f*cking no. :no:

bonus question:

And what's with NP being so emotionally fragile/childish about a drum solo not being properly appreciated? Gawd man!

As a book, this is a fail. As a thing with glossy pages and lotsa pictures, it succeeds. Your kilometerage may vary. :P

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/december_2012/Desert%20Rat-CR.jpg

"Aw geez vt, I'm sorry I didn't bring that horizon to you."

So.Much.This. :goodone: I have to be honest and say I didn't read Far and Wide. I did however read three of his other books before I decided to stop hitting myself over the head with poor writing and a sad outlook on life. Ghost Rider was- you have to give the guy a break, given what he had been through. Traveling Music kind of alternated biographical chapters and current ones. The biographical ones were ok, revealing a bit of his past. The current ones were just as you said- a fine whine! The motel bed was saggy, the breakfast eggs were cooked wrong, etc. etc. I truly feel bad for him as it must be hard to have your life be a series of disappointments. I also read Roadshow: Landscape with Drums; about the R30 tour. It seems like it was very similar to Far And Wide. He couldn't wait until the tour was over; fans (and musicians from other bands) bother him by just existing; a milkshake from a mom and pop stand doesn't live up to his premium expectations and ruins his day, etc etc. The books weren't my cup of tea, for sure!

I'd read Ghost Rider and the African bike-trip one, so I knew what I was getting into -- although I hoped his writing would have improved. He should stop hanging around with that damn KJ Anderson. :P

Ghost Rider needed an editor. The other one (Masked Rider?) needed a sympathetic observer, and NP ain't one of those. It was a whine-fest indeed!

"I don't like the food. I don't like my riding partners, especially the women. It's hot and stuff. Wah." :wtf:

Best book by/about a drummer: "Full Moon" by Dougal Butler. Astounding. :o

360_1ea90fcced85ebcac5a278c9e7fd777a.jpg

g1j27hugmei8w4lzltf9.jpeg

Dougal was Keith's minder, for lack of a better word. A sad and often hilarious read.

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 2

I borrowed "Far and Wide" (by Neil "Bubba" Peart) from the library. I can't figure it out. :huh:

5 questions:

a) Who is the intended audience? Rush fans? Then why the constant whine about "work" as well as the unhealthy attitude towards fans? Motorcycle enthusiasts probably won't be interested in "Bubble Guppies" and the like. Travel readers won't care about most of this. I play drums, travel, read, and enjoy Rush, and this is one f*ckin' shitty book. Are these blog entries cobbled into a "book"? I wouldn't be surprised.

b) Who taught this guy how to write? This stuff is so wooden I could fix a fence with it. The "wood whisperer" indeed!

c) Who told NP that quoting yourself is cool? I find it comes off as pretentious and douchey. "Well, in the words of myself..."

d) What's with the ""? Every f*cking page, some word in quotes that is nothing more than a knowing wink at the dinks who are reading this stink.

e) Will I finish reading it? Oh hell damn sweet-li'l-baby-jesus crap titties f*cking no. :no:

bonus question:

And what's with NP being so emotionally fragile/childish about a drum solo not being properly appreciated? Gawd man!

As a book, this is a fail. As a thing with glossy pages and lotsa pictures, it succeeds. Your kilometerage may vary. :P

So.Much.This. :goodone: I have to be honest and say I didn't read Far and Wide. I did however read three of his other books before I decided to stop hitting myself over the head with poor writing and a sad outlook on life. Ghost Rider was- you have to give the guy a break, given what he had been through. Traveling Music kind of alternated biographical chapters and current ones. The biographical ones were ok, revealing a bit of his past. The current ones were just as you said- a fine whine! The motel bed was saggy, the breakfast eggs were cooked wrong, etc. etc. I truly feel bad for him as it must be hard to have your life be a series of disappointments. I also read Roadshow: Landscape with Drums; about the R30 tour. It seems like it was very similar to Far And Wide. He couldn't wait until the tour was over; fans (and musicians from other bands) bother him by just existing; a milkshake from a mom and pop stand doesn't live up to his premium expectations and ruins his day, etc etc. The books weren't my cup of tea, for sure!

I'd read Ghost Rider and the African bike-trip one, so I knew what I was getting into -- although I hoped his writing would have improved. He should stop hanging around with that damn KJ Anderson. :P

Ghost Rider needed an editor. The other one (Masked Rider?) needed a sympathetic observer, and NP ain't one of those. It was a whine-fest indeed!

"I don't like the food. I don't like my riding partners, especially the women. It's hot and stuff. Wah." :wtf:

Dougal was Keith's minder, for lack of a better word. A sad and often hilarious read.

I'll have to look for that one! About a year ? ago I read Dear Boy: The Life of Keith Moon, and that was very good as well. :ebert:

• Like 2

5 questions:

bonus question:

I'll have to look for that one! About a year ? ago I read Dear Boy: The Life of Keith Moon, and that was very good as well. :ebert:

Apparently it's kinda rare. I highly doubt any library would carry this due to the colourful language!

"Dear Boy" (sold here in Canada as "Moon: The Life & Death of a Rock Legend") was an excellent read. It was very thoroughly researched and there seemed to be a great respect for Moon as a subject. I'm surprised that tinnitus wasn't mentioned. If PT suffered from it, Moon -- with his cymbals set up at ear level -- definitely would've had, probably quite profoundly. Might explain some of the weird voices ("familiars") that he was experiencing near the end of his life. Poor devil.

400full-keith-moon.jpg

iirc, the "Full Moon" book was pretty well-referenced in the other book. Although there are still plenty of salacious stories -- and names are generally named!

Oh, and there is a fun little glossary at the end if you can't figure out the slang used throughout the text. Mostly cockney rhyming slang; mostly genital references. :LOL:

Good luck finding it! I bought my copy in '83 and promptly did a book report on it. :o

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 1

Reading these right now.

220px-Snowblind%28book%29.jpg

http://www.podularity.com/wp-content/images/monsters.jpg

9780553136951-us.jpg

Halfway through "Snowblind", which reads like an early '70s Rolling Stone writer's first book. Trying too hard at times to have an original voice, like Tom Wolfe or Hunter S Thompson. And some really awkward sentence structure. Compelling story though...

"On Monsters" is interesting, but reads a bit like a University textbook. Not quite sure why the author refers to Latin translations of Biblical verse. Why not at least go back to the Greek? Maybe Latin looks cooler/more monstrous? :huh:

So far, I've learned that Saint Christopher had a dog's head. :o

http://scribalterror.blogs.com/scribal_terror/images/2008/01/19/christophery.gif

"very dog-head. much cross."

• Like 1

The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes, with the Lad.

Can't go wrong with that one.

The second installment is quite interesting, in that it centers on characters that meet up with the original Mormon migration to Utah. I hadn't expected anything like that.

The second installment is quite interesting, in that it centers on characters that meet up with the original Mormon migration to Utah. I hadn't expected anything like that.

Are you referencing "A Study in Scarlet"?

Are you referencing "A Study in Scarlet"?

My personal favourite

r9JPpQ1m.jpg I'm most of the way through it, it's been interesting so far although there are more details about "The Life Of Brian" than you'd want to know! I hadn't realized he was such good friends with George Harrison; they were very close.
  • Like 1