What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
5409 replies to this topic

#5401 Rhyta

Rhyta

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1049 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:49 PM

Still listening to the Eric Idle book,  it is a bit slower read than I expected..he does so much name dropping it is hard to keep up with who he is talking about.  Got to the fun bit about how Python got going and he is starting to tell his tale about Holy Grail...should be good.

Starting the Cormoran Strike series again, going to re-read the first three and then Lethal White which just came out last month.

Since it is holidays, going to listen to Patrick Stewart narrate Christmas Carol.  I saw him in 1991 do his one man show and it was fabulous.  This is the audio version I bought that night and have listened to many times.  Love that man's voice.

Sponsored Post

#5402 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7600 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:21 PM

View PostRhyta, on 06 December 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

Still listening to the Eric Idle book,  it is a bit slower read than I expected..he does so much name dropping it is hard to keep up with who he is talking about.  Got to the fun bit about how Python got going and he is starting to tell his tale about Holy Grail...should be good.

Starting the Cormoran Strike series again, going to re-read the first three and then Lethal White which just came out last month.

Since it is holidays, going to listen to Patrick Stewart narrate Christmas Carol.  I saw him in 1991 do his one man show and it was fabulous.  This is the audio version I bought that night and have listened to many times.  Love that man's voice.

The Patrick Stewart sounds interesting; I'm going to look for that!  Thanks!

#5403 pjbear05

pjbear05

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2386 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:29 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 05 December 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

But was then easily seduced into a small stack of JD MacDonald thrillers.
Travis McGee series?  I still have 80's era paperbacks of MacDonald stashed somewhere.

#5404 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5432 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

View Postblueschica, on 05 December 2018 - 09:58 PM, said:

Started wading thru "The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha: Expanded Edition."

I had no idea what "pentateuch" was. I figured it had something to do with molestation of satanists. :huh:
If you are enjoying JD MacDonald you might like Robert B. Parker. He has a whole series of Spenser mysteries, a detective based in Boston. It was a tv series years ago but the books are better!

Thanks for the recommendation, blueschica! :cheers:
I'll see what I can find at the library the next time I'm in, and go from there.
Way to distract me from the Bible! :lol:

Fun fact: JDM and Kurt Vonnegut shared the same editor/agent for a brief while, the excellently named Knox Burger.

Posted Image

#5405 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5432 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

View Postpjbear05, on 07 December 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

Travis McGee series?  I still have 80's era paperbacks of MacDonald stashed somewhere.

Yep, I've read a few of those (and working thru a few right now). He's a very good writer, although a little dated in spots (I love that McGee is a hi-fi nut). I've read a couple of his other stand-alone novels, and would like to check out more of those, like "The Executioners" (which was made into "Cape Fear"). He also wrote a couple of sci-fi books which might be interesting, although I'm not really a sci-fi guy.

A couple of the McGee ones I've recently read (written in the 70s) are surprisingly dark (a bad-guy is dispatched with hot tar, another dies after being set upon by fire ants). I'm enjoying his very pleasant sounding descriptions of Florida. He's probably had more than a little influence on Carl Hiassen, another Floridian crime-novelist, although with a wackier take.

Just started this one:

Posted Image

Next up: The Green Ripper. :o

#5406 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 35587 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:18 AM

Lacuna Coil- Nothing Stands In Our Way (Official band biography)

An illustrated history, and a personal account, of the entire bands history. My mind is blown. Really beautiful book and a really uplifting story!

#5407 pjbear05

pjbear05

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2386 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:46 PM

Fear:  Trump in the White House, by Bob Woodward.

#5408 MusicHead

MusicHead

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1282 posts
  • Interests:God, writing, family, football, Dean Koontz, music, all things Spidey and Marvel.

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

Fantastic Four Omnibus 3: Stan Lee & Jack Kirby

#5409 librarian

librarian

Aquarian Librarian

• Members
  • 5965 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

Natural Causes  - Barbara Ehrenreich

Edited by librarian, 13 December 2018 - 07:58 PM.

#5410 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 24041 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:46 AM

"Line of Roman Emperors" by Alexander Krawczuk. Precise and very entertaining. Highly recommended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users