What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

220px-Jaws-paperback.jpg

Not as bad as I remembered, although still not very good. The characters are basically unlikable, the dialogues often stiff, and the ending reads like a pale "Moby Dick". Nowhere near as good as the movie (you can easily find the script online, which is pretty fun) although not entirely worthless. Benchley's "White Shark" is a real stinker. :yes:

At one point, Benchley was the worst author I've ever read, but now is easily beaten by the "Meg" guy, with KJAnderson wallowing close behind.

For any other "Jaws" nerds out there, here's a link to a PDF of the script:

http://bythelens.org/examples/example6.php

And a slightly earlier version:

https://indiegroundfilms.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/jaws-final-numbered.pdf

Differences from the movie:

-Mafia subplot

-Hooper and Mrs. Brody have a quickie in a motel

-Hooper gets eaten

-Quint doesn't get eaten but drowns

-Shark does not explode but succumbs to its wounds

-Not very good

• Like 3

No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy

'Bout a third of the way in, and best summed up by Cowboy Curtis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjkCvgOKwp4

Finished it this morning. Quite the read. Cowboy Curtis was right.

Disturbing and very smartly written.

Made me curious enough to check out another of his books. Maybe "Outer Dark" or "The Road"?

Any of you folks read this guy? Suggestions?

Just about to start Kerouac ("Visions of Cody") or Crais ("The Wanted"). Gonna have to flip a coin...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Made me curious enough to check out another of his books. Maybe "Outer Dark" or "The Road"?

Just about to start Kerouac ("Visions of Cody") or Crais ("The Wanted"). Gonna have to flip a coin...

giphy.gif

Aww, shout out for Cowboy Curtis; I remember him fondly! Mr. blues and my daughter both liked "The Road" a lot; it's an end of the world, rather dark thing as I recall. I didn't read it myself as I stick more with non fiction and mysteries.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

giphy.gif

Aww, shout out for Cowboy Curtis; I remember him fondly! Mr. blues and my daughter both liked "The Road" a lot; it's an end of the world, rather dark thing as I recall. I didn't read it myself as I stick more with non fiction and mysteries.

Thanks for the recommendation, blueschica! I'll probably end up reading a couple more of his. Good writer.

"No Country..." was kind of a mystery, btw, although maybe more a "western thriller"??? :huh:

And here's some more Cowboy Curtis for ya. Didn't know you were a conna-sewer! :LOL: :cheers:

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Thanks for the recommendation, blueschica! I'll probably end up reading a couple more of his. Good writer.

"No Country..." was kind of a mystery, btw, although maybe more a "western thriller"??? :huh:

And here's some more Cowboy Curtis for ya. Didn't know you were a conna-sewer! :LOL: :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWI-5b2MHNI

That's a great clip- scream real loud !!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

• Like 1

te9CF4dm.jpg

This was recommended to me by the guy that runs our little local independent bookshop, since I like history.

He was right- it really is quite an education in history, along with the parts about Trump that have been publicized. There's actually also quite a bit about Obama and his short fallings with foreign relations. I'm only about halfway through as it is very detailed.

3Sow41sm.jpg

This is the fifth of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache Quebec mysteries. I really like this series so far!

Is the name of the inspector "Gamache Quebec", or do the mysteries take place in Quebec?

"The Curious Case of the Missing Poutine"

"The Mystery of the Indoor Smoker"

"Who Stole the Skeleton of Rene Simard?"

"The Irrecoverable Stanley Cup"

:P

• Like 1

3Sow41sm.jpg

This is the fifth of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache Quebec mysteries. I really like this series so far!

Is the name of the inspector "Gamache Quebec", or do the mysteries take place in Quebec?

:LOL: :LOL: Not the best bit of writing on my part now that you mention it! Inspector Gamache, who has the worst luck every time he leaves Montreal and heads to Three Pines, Quebec . .

"The Maple Syrup Murders"

"Last Gasp in the Gaspé"

"Lurker in the Laurentians"

• Like 1

3Sow41sm.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: Not the best bit of writing on my part now that you mention it! Inspector Gamache, who has the worst luck every time he leaves Montreal and heads to Three Pines, Quebec . .

"The Maple Syrup Murders"

"Last Gasp in the Gaspé"

"Lurker in the Laurentians"

Cool! Never heard of these!

"Lurker in the Laurentians" :LOL:

• Like 1

8efa1fd00ec605ebe631e1b9e833eacfdba8bb9a_480x480.jpeg?v=1448029409

Supposedly outtakes from, or a sequel to "On the Road". I dunno...

Part 1 is mostly observations ("sketches") of New York City.

Maybe the road shows up in Part 2.

So far, it's a bit of a slog. The prose is pretty dense, and Penguin somehow managed to squeeze 500 words on a page. I jumped ahead to the cassette transcripts (Part 3) just to give my eyes a break.

• Like 2

giphy.gif

I've read The Road, The Crossing, All The Pretty Horses.

The Crossing and All The Pretty Horses are part of the Border Trilogy that captures life on the Mexican-American border. I highly recommend them. The Road is post-apocalyptic fare, and is well-written. I really like his style, and need to read the balance of his work. Blood Meridian is next up, I think.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

The Crossing and All The Pretty Horses are part of the Border Trilogy that captures life on the Mexican-American border. I highly recommend them. The Road is post-apocalyptic fare, and is well-written. I really like his style, and need to read the balance of his work. Blood Meridian is next up, I think.

Thanks, Goose!

I'm gonna see what the library has and go from there. He's definitely on my "must read more of" list.

In a weird way, "No Country..." reminded me of a Canadian writer, David Adams Richards. Not exactly sure why -- maybe because of the well-handled rural or regional (or whatever) tone/voice that they write in, and they seem to share a particular controlled intensity.

DAR's "For Those Who Hunt the Wounded Down" is a good one, if you're interested. He used to be quite the young hellion, then quit the substances, found the lord, and is now a Canadian senator. He's also written a couple of books on hockey, and one on God (which Alex Lifeson can be seen reading in some doc on the band --"Beyond the Lighted Stage" maybe?). He and Geddy are in an airplane together.

david-adams-richards.jpg

"I now own a suit, and no longer dress like Quint."

giphy.gif

Thanks, Goose!

I'm gonna see what the library has and go from there. He's definitely on my "must read more of" list.

In a weird way, "No Country..." reminded me of a Canadian writer, David Adams Richards. Not exactly sure why -- maybe because of the well-handled rural or regional (or whatever) tone/voice that they write in, and they seem to share a particular controlled intensity.

DAR's "For Those Who Hunt the Wounded Down" is a good one, if you're interested. He used to be quite the young hellion, then quit the substances, found the lord, and is now a Canadian senator. He's also written a couple of books on hockey, and one on God (which Alex Lifeson can be seen reading in some doc on the band --"Beyond the Lighted Stage" maybe?). He and Geddy are in an airplane together.

david-adams-richards.jpg

"I now own a suit, and no longer dress like Quint."

As you note, McCarthy really captures the western voice and has an ability to sustain tension. I like that he rejects many of the "rules" of English punctuation. Other languages survive without a slew of commas and quotation marks, it seems silly that we're so hung up on them.
  • Like 1

Robin Hobb- Dragon Keeper (Book One of "The Rain Wild Chronicles"; Book Ten of "The Realm Of The Elderlings")

After the stunning and absorbing intensity of the previous nine books (across three linked trilogy's), I have finally reached the least beloved group of books in this series. It is slower. But I am starting to find myself getting immersed into its familiar worlds.

Been all over the map, western mysteries...Tony Hillerman and J.A.Jance. Re-reading Jasper Fforde's funny Thursday Next series (just need some laughs and who can resist dodos?). Book club readings of titles I haven't read or want to read again, Alice in Wonderland and Jane Eyre. And now that book number 4 is out, re-reading the Cormoran Strike books by R. Galbraith (aka JK Rowling)
  • Like 1