What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Just A Shot Away: Peace, Love, and Tragedy with The Rolling Stones at Altamont, by Saul Austerlitz.

I read a book(which I actually still have somewhere)called Blown Away: The Rolling Stones and the death of the sixties. I might not have the title exactly but it was something like that. Anyway, it was about the late sixties Stones in general and the death of Brian Jones in particular. It does go into detail about Altamont but the main focus seems to be the death of Brian Jones and the circumstances surrounding his death. I thought it was a very good read. I'll have to check this book out also.

My library system has this listed, and I've put it on hold. I should have it within a week. Thanks NWM!

The one by A. E. Hotchner? I think that's the author's name. Anyway, cool. Let me know what you think when you are done with it.

Yeah, it's Hotchner, from 1990. It's in, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Somewhere on a bookshelf in my computer/junk storage room is buried a paperback copy of Bill Wyman's autobiography, Stone Alone. That was a good read, funny too.

Just A Shot Away: Peace, Love, and Tragedy with The Rolling Stones at Altamont, by Saul Austerlitz.

I read a book(which I actually still have somewhere)called Blown Away: The Rolling Stones and the death of the sixties. I might not have the title exactly but it was something like that. Anyway, it was about the late sixties Stones in general and the death of Brian Jones in particular. It does go into detail about Altamont but the main focus seems to be the death of Brian Jones and the circumstances surrounding his death. I thought it was a very good read. I'll have to check this book out also.

My library system has this listed, and I've put it on hold. I should have it within a week. Thanks NWM!

The one by A. E. Hotchner? I think that's the author's name. Anyway, cool. Let me know what you think when you are done with it.

Yeah, it's Hotchner, from 1990. It's in, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Somewhere on a bookshelf in my computer/junk storage room is buried a paperback copy of Bill Wyman's autobiography, Stone Alone. That was a good read, funny too.

If you can find it, Stanley Booth's "Dance With the Devil" is mostly a behind-the-scenes of that tour (and a bit beyond).

I don't think it's in print, but well worth it if you're a Stones fan, especially of the Mick Taylor period.

291641.jpg

I'm not a Stones fan so I gave it away. I shoulda kept it for the debauchery!

Almost finished the Ballard book. His stories are bleak little claustrophobic things. Sometimes the prose is a bit 'purple' but some interesting ideas/images.

Started this just to lighten the mood:

26245065.jpg

Pete Best just got jettisoned. I checked out his drumming on YouTube and can see why. :scared:

• Like 1

Finished Blown Away, excellent read. A number of the recollections of the early Stones were verifications of things I had read in Stone Alone, and revived a memory of my older sister, who was a full blown Beatlemaniac at the time. She had what she called a "mini newspaper" - I guess you'd call it a tabloid now - with head shots of The Beatles, The Dave Clark Five, and "The (Ugly) Rolling Stones." Yeah, they looked a little rough around the edges, and the pics inside were worse, deliberately so imho. Blown Away had some interesting interviews relating to the conspiracy theory of Brain Jones's "murder".

Now starting Not Dead Yet, by Phil Collins.

Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U. S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man, by Lynn Vincent & Sara Vladic.
  • Like 1

Finishing: A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership, by James Comey.

Soon to start: The Hard Stuff by Wayne Kramer.

Edited by pjbear05

Finished a very shitty book indeed: "Meg: Revised, Expanded and Really, Really Shitty" edition.

Haven't seen the movie and I wasn't expecting much of anything, but I was hoping that the writing would at least be passable. Nope.

Two things really bugged me about his writing:

1 - Referring to shark teeth as 'fangs'. Constantly. "The shark bared its horrible, disgusting, terrifying, puke-inducing fangs."

2 - Use of exclamation points: "Suddenly he was bitten in half!"

Like a friggin' Archie comic.

http://2.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/93/56/25a905d3422a86adcbeafddf860eacb4-20-archie-comics-that-desperately-need-some-context.jpg

The author also appears to have issues with women, judging from his lusty one-dimensional creations and their footwear.

Made "Jaws" (or even "Jaws 2") look like literature.

On a scale of 1 to 10, this is definitely shitty.

• Like 2

I read Meg...but it's been a while. I can't attest to the shittiness of it. I remember finding the idea of a shark the size of a school bus intriguing, but that's really all I remember of it. I kind of want to see the movie in the theater...just because it looks like something fun to see on the big screen. Not like I think it'd be some great work of cinematic genius. Probably won't though, guess our big screen tv will have to be 'big enough' once it's released to video. Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 2

Finished a very shitty book indeed: "Meg: Revised, Expanded and Really, Really Shitty" edition.

Haven't seen the movie and I wasn't expecting much of anything, but I was hoping that the writing would at least be passable. Nope.

1 - Referring to shark teeth as 'fangs'. Constantly. "The shark bared its horrible, disgusting, terrifying, puke-inducing fangs."

http://2.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/93/56/25a905d3422a86adcbeafddf860eacb4-20-archie-comics-that-desperately-need-some-context.jpg

The author also appears to have issues with women, judging from his lusty one-dimensional creations and their footwear.

oooh sugar !!!!

!!!!

• Like 1

I read Meg...but it's been a while. I can't attest to the shittiness of it. I remember finding the idea of a shark the size of a school bus intriguing, but that's really all I remember of it. I kind of want to see the movie in the theater...just because it looks like something fun to see on the big screen. Not like I think it'd be some great work of cinematic genius. Probably won't though, guess our big screen tv will have to be 'big enough' once it's released to video.

It's remarkably shitty. The Japanese love-interest is described as being "almond eyed" on at least two occasions. The Japanese father of love-interest grew up in the US but still refers to the protagonist as "Taylor-san". There is also a long and pointless forward ("Origins" I assume?) and an opportunity to enter a contest to have your name used in his next edition of shit-lit.

Bad writing abounds in this book. Even worse than "the Unnameable One". :o

61DEVNSobNL._UX250_.jpg

"That's me! By the way, have you seen my wife's balls?"

http://westercon71.org/images/GOH2018/HighResGOH/Moesta-crystal-ball-Lg.jpg

"This is such a nice ball. So...round."

• Like 1

oooh sugar !!!!

!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o

:LOL:

:musicnote: "Oh shitty...shitty author...you write so terribly that you got me spoutin' shit.

Oh Stevie...Stevie author...I can't bother to write your name, you can't bother to self-edit." :musicnote:

:P

• Like 2

"Seven" - John D MacDonald

Short stories mostly published in Playboy. Entertaining thus far. A little dated, but good writing.

http://res.cloudinary.com/sagacity/image/upload/c_crop/c_limit,w_1080/MrC_JohnD_eb5azr.jpg

"The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy god...aw, frig."

• Like 1

I read Meg...but it's been a while. I can't attest to the shittiness of it. I remember finding the idea of a shark the size of a school bus intriguing, but that's really all I remember of it. I kind of want to see the movie in the theater...just because it looks like something fun to see on the big screen. Not like I think it'd be some great work of cinematic genius. Probably won't though, guess our big screen tv will have to be 'big enough' once it's released to video.

It's remarkably shitty. The Japanese love-interest is described as being "almond eyed" on at least two occasions. The Japanese father of love-interest grew up in the US but still refers to the protagonist as "Taylor-san". There is also a long and pointless forward ("Origins" I assume?) and an opportunity to enter a contest to have your name used in his next edition of shit-lit.

Bad writing abounds in this book. Even worse than "the Unnameable One". :o

61DEVNSobNL._UX250_.jpg

"That's me! By the way, have you seen my wife's balls?"

http://westercon71.org/images/GOH2018/HighResGOH/Moesta-crystal-ball-Lg.jpg

"This is such a nice ball. So...round."

:laughing guy:

That shitty, eh? Daaaaaaaaaamn.

That's some shitty shit.

• Like 1