What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Member of the family: my story of Charles Manson, life inside his cult and the darkness that ended the Sixties. By Dianne Lake and Deborah Herman.

LxcRdha.jpg

Another well written and thought provoking book. Dianne's parents joined a hippie cult and basically threw her out at age 14. She ended up living with the Manson family and also Dennis Wilson for about two years. She ended up testifying against Charles Manson in court at age 17. Amazingly, she went on to live a happy, healthy life as a teacher for special needs children.

Of course I was going to read this. My sister and I have had a somewhat deep interest in the Manson family since Jr. high, when we read Helter Skelter and got the crap scared out of us! :LOL: Deep interest like "we used to be impressionable young girls at one point, glad we didn't live in CA then "; NOT deep interest like people that wanted to marry Manson. Those people I don't get at all. :wtf:

Wow. Got the same vibe when I read Helter Skelter. Bugliosi just had a talent for that. Just put this on hold for loan from the library, should have within the week. Thanks for the tip.

About halfway through this. Wow. Charlie was fup ducked.

Member of the family: my story of Charles Manson, life inside his cult and the darkness that ended the Sixties. By Dianne Lake and Deborah Herman.

LxcRdha.jpg

Another well written and thought provoking book. Dianne's parents joined a hippie cult and basically threw her out at age 14. She ended up living with the Manson family and also Dennis Wilson for about two years. She ended up testifying against Charles Manson in court at age 17. Amazingly, she went on to live a happy, healthy life as a teacher for special needs children.

Of course I was going to read this. My sister and I have had a somewhat deep interest in the Manson family since Jr. high, when we read Helter Skelter and got the crap scared out of us! :LOL: Deep interest like "we used to be impressionable young girls at one point, glad we didn't live in CA then "; NOT deep interest like people that wanted to marry Manson. Those people I don't get at all. :wtf:

Wow. Got the same vibe when I read Helter Skelter. Bugliosi just had a talent for that. Just put this on hold for loan from the library, should have within the week. Thanks for the tip.

About halfway through this. Wow. Charlie was fup ducked.

Yes! I felt so sorry for the author having those loser parents. They were pretty selfish. :(

Three quarters through Member of the Family.

Next up: The President is Missing, by Bill Clinton & James Patterson, followed by:

The 15:17 to Paris, by Anthony Sadler, Alex Skarlatos, & Spencer Stone. Will watch the movie when I come up on the hold list at the library.

The Wrecking Crew, by Kent Hartman (story of the studio musicians of L.A.)

Red Card, by Ken Bensinger. Subtitled, How the US Blew the Whistle on the World's Biggest Sports Scandal. (The FIFA corruption scandal, which started as an IRS criminal investigation into tax fraud.)

• Like 2

Cinnamon Skin - John D MacDonald

Well-paced "detective" novel (although the protagonists aren't detectives). One of MacDonald's final books.

He's an Asshole a Rebel - Some Guy

Bio of Phil Spector researched and written in late 80s/early 90s. Cool pics, great quotes, but man, what an asshole.

Lucky You - Carl Hiassen

Only halfway thru but thoroughly entertained. Floridian crime novel involving a stolen lottery ticket and its rightful owner, wannabe white-supremacists, religious conmen, and 45 baby turtles.

• Like 1

Black Klansman by Ron Stallworth. A black undercover Colorado Springs detective joins the KKK.

Tom Clancy Power and Empire, by Marc Cameron.

Edited by pjbear05

Just finished "Spider From Mars: My Life With Bowie" by Woody Woodmansey, which was quite entertaining. It made me want to check out more of Mick Ronson's guitar work.

Half-way thru Vonnegut's "Mother Night" - an odd, almost colourless novel (so far).

Just A Shot Away: Peace, Love, and Tragedy with The Rolling Stones at Altamont, by Saul Austerlitz.

This should be a really interesting read, based on what little I know from the "Gimme Shelter" doc. Sounded like the entire festival was pretty much 'bad vibes' and violence.

Good book?

"Living Like a Runaway" - Lita Ford and helper

YYZumbi's heartthrob tells her tale of rock, excess, loss, and redemption (sorta). Names are named, and there is a sort of '(genital) warts and all' air to the book, which is unfortunately undercut by a willful vagueness on many details and 'too much info' on others (the toilet/tampon anecdote, getting crabs, detailed and pointless road stories). After reading it, I have no interest in checking out any of her solo work. Well, maybe that shitty s&m themed album she did with her expunged ex husband.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/260/BLOWJOBINTHEPARKINGLOT.jpg

Keepin' it classy!

Next up:

70239.jpg

I'd heard good things about "Vermilion Sands" and "Empire of the Sun" but the bookstore didn't have them so picked this up instead.

Just A Shot Away: Peace, Love, and Tragedy with The Rolling Stones at Altamont, by Saul Austerlitz.

This should be a really interesting read, based on what little I know from the "Gimme Shelter" doc. Sounded like the entire festival was pretty much 'bad vibes' and violence.

Good book?

Very good so far. Basically a documentary/crime scene narrative, from the concert's planning and multiole venue changes to its aftermath, with special emphasis on Meredith Hunter (the black man killed by the Hell's Angels who were hired as security, and by some accounts, in a scuffle during which Hunter is alleged to have brandished a pistol.)
  • Like 1

Good book?

Very good so far. Basically a documentary/crime scene narrative, from the concert's planning and multiole venue changes to its aftermath, with special emphasis on Meredith Hunter (the black man killed by the Hell's Angels who were hired as security, and by some accounts, in a scuffle during which Hunter is alleged to have brandished a pistol.)

Thanks for the info/recommendation. Will check this out at some point! :cheers:

I read a book(which I actually still have somewhere)called Blown Away: The Rolling Stones and the death of the sixties. I might not have the title exactly but it was something like that. Anyway, it was about the late sixties Stones in general and the death of Brian Jones in particular. It does go into detail about Altamont but the main focus seems to be the death of Brian Jones and the circumstances surrounding his death. I thought it was a very good read. I'll have to check this book out also.

• Like 1

I read a book(which I actually still have somewhere)called Blown Away: The Rolling Stones and the death of the sixties. I might not have the title exactly but it was something like that. Anyway, it was about the late sixties Stones in general and the death of Brian Jones in particular. It does go into detail about Altamont but the main focus seems to be the death of Brian Jones and the circumstances surrounding his death. I thought it was a very good read. I'll have to check this book out also.

My library system has this listed, and I've put it on hold. I should have it within a week. Thanks NWM!
  • Like 1

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. A story about Earth's first Generational Ship on a voyage to a distant star to colonize a planet. I'm about 1/4 way through it. Very good so far.

My library system has this listed, and I've put it on hold. I should have it within a week. Thanks NWM!

The one by A. E. Hotchner? I think that's the author's name. Anyway, cool. Let me know what you think when you are done with it.