Jump to content


What are you reading?


  • Please log in to reply
5279 replies to this topic

#5261 That One Guy

That One Guy

    Straight Outta Sunnyvale

  • Members *
  • 24369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:The boys, cold ones, cracking, the latest fajita at Arby's

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:03 AM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 09 May 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

A combination of these three

Posted Image


I have heard you slam this guy HARD the last couple months :lol:

Sponsored Post

#5262 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

    Many Happy Returns

  • Members *
  • 7447 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

Socialism - Ludwig von Mises

#5263 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 6927 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

Nine Lessons I Learned From My Father- Murray Howe

Posted Image

It was a very touching and very good book about Gordie Howe, the hockey great.  He had dementia the last year of his life and lived with his son, the author.  Full of hockey stories and also anyone with an elderly parent could relate to this.

Edited by blueschica, 27 May 2018 - 02:59 PM.


#5264 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 6927 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

Member of the family: my story of Charles Manson, life inside his cult and the darkness that ended the Sixties.  By Dianne Lake and Deborah Herman.

Posted Image


Another well written and thought provoking book.  Dianne's parents joined a hippie cult and basically threw her out at age 14.  She ended up living with the Manson family and also Dennis Wilson for about two years.  She ended up testifying against Charles Manson in court at age 17.  Amazingly, she went on to live a happy, healthy life as a teacher for special needs children.

Of course I was going to read this.  My sister and I have had a somewhat deep interest in the Manson family since Jr. high, when we read Helter Skelter and got the crap scared out of us!  :lol:  Deep interest like "we used to be impressionable young girls at one point, glad we didn't live in CA then "; NOT deep interest like people that wanted to marry Manson.  Those people I don't get at all. :wtf:

Edited by blueschica, 27 May 2018 - 03:12 PM.


#5265 BenjaminW

BenjaminW

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 183 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Francisco, California
  • Interests:Playing and listening to music, reading about history, and having a good time talking with other Rush fans.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

I just finished 1776 by David McCullough a week or two ago. Would highly recommend it if you're into the history of the American Revolution. Unfortunately I can't seem to upload an image of the cover but that's the least of my worries now.

#5266 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

    So Far So Good

  • Members *
  • 2208 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Event Horizon
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

Stephen King's newest book

Posted Image


so far just supremely disturbing subject matter

#5267 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1952 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

Barracoon:  The Story of the Last "Black Cargo", by Zora Neale Huston

#5268 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1952 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

View Postblueschica, on 27 May 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

Member of the family: my story of Charles Manson, life inside his cult and the darkness that ended the Sixties.  By Dianne Lake and Deborah Herman.

Posted Image


Another well written and thought provoking book.  Dianne's parents joined a hippie cult and basically threw her out at age 14.  She ended up living with the Manson family and also Dennis Wilson for about two years.  She ended up testifying against Charles Manson in court at age 17.  Amazingly, she went on to live a happy, healthy life as a teacher for special needs children.

Of course I was going to read this.  My sister and I have had a somewhat deep interest in the Manson family since Jr. high, when we read Helter Skelter and got the crap scared out of us!  :lol:  Deep interest like "we used to be impressionable young girls at one point, glad we didn't live in CA then "; NOT deep interest like people that wanted to marry Manson.  Those people I don't get at all. :wtf:
Wow.  Got the same vibe when I read Helter Skelter.  Bugliosi just had a talent for that.  Just put this on hold for loan from the library, should have within the week.  Thanks for the tip.

#5269 MusicHead

MusicHead

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1254 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MO
  • Interests:God, writing, family, football, Dean Koontz, music, all things Spidey and Marvel.

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

Mike Duran- Saint Death

#5270 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5054 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

"Letter To a Christian Nation" - Sam Harris (who clearly doesn't have faith).

#5271 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

    Many Happy Returns

  • Members *
  • 7447 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:35 PM

Jean Francois Revel - The Totalitarian Temptation

#5272 NewWorldScott

NewWorldScott

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 92 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago, Illinois

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:06 PM

I've been on a graphic novel kick. Been getting deeper into Craig Thompson's work, and i'm really liking it.

#5273 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 6927 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:30 PM

A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership- James Comey

I'm only about half way through but it's very interesting so far.  I didn't know much about his background other than his time with the FBI so it's been enlightening to read how he used to be a federal prosecutor, among other things.  He does have an ego but to get so far in Washington I guess you would have to.

#5274 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 985 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

Now the Stanley Cup playoffs are over, I can get back to reading!! Always get behind because of them in April through June :eh:

Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterley.  Enjoyed the movie and learning more about the black women who helped put men into space.  Remember thinking multiple times in the theater,  I don't remember learning about any of this in history class...

Sacred Clowns by Tony Hillerman   Re-reading this series about Navajo Tribal Police and crimes on the reservation.  Like the insights into their culture and beliefs and the dumb things whites do and say to them, especially the FBI's attitude toward the local authorities, :eyeroll: .  I also love the descriptions of the scenery, I have traveled often to New Mexico and can see what he is describing, beautiful sparse country. This one involves a crime in the Hopi Pueblo.

Edited by Rhyta, 09 June 2018 - 03:05 PM.


#5275 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 985 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:03 PM

View Postblueschica, on 06 June 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership- James Comey

I'm only about half way through but it's very interesting so far.  I didn't know much about his background other than his time with the FBI so it's been enlightening to read how he used to be a federal prosecutor, among other things.  He does have an ego but to get so far in Washington I guess you would have to.

I'm on a wait list for this one at the library, heard him on the radio on his tour.  Curious to hear some about the inside workings of the agency.

#5276 MusicHead

MusicHead

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1254 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MO
  • Interests:God, writing, family, football, Dean Koontz, music, all things Spidey and Marvel.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:37 PM

Mike Duran- The Telling

#5277 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1952 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:55 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 29 May 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 27 May 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

Member of the family: my story of Charles Manson, life inside his cult and the darkness that ended the Sixties.  By Dianne Lake and Deborah Herman.

Posted Image


Another well written and thought provoking book.  Dianne's parents joined a hippie cult and basically threw her out at age 14.  She ended up living with the Manson family and also Dennis Wilson for about two years.  She ended up testifying against Charles Manson in court at age 17.  Amazingly, she went on to live a happy, healthy life as a teacher for special needs children.

Of course I was going to read this.  My sister and I have had a somewhat deep interest in the Manson family since Jr. high, when we read Helter Skelter and got the crap scared out of us!  :lol:  Deep interest like "we used to be impressionable young girls at one point, glad we didn't live in CA then "; NOT deep interest like people that wanted to marry Manson.  Those people I don't get at all. :wtf:
Wow.  Got the same vibe when I read Helter Skelter.  Bugliosi just had a talent for that.  Just put this on hold for loan from the library, should have within the week.  Thanks for the tip.
About halfway through this. Wow. Charlie was fup ducked.

#5278 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 6927 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 14 June 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 29 May 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 27 May 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

Member of the family: my story of Charles Manson, life inside his cult and the darkness that ended the Sixties.  By Dianne Lake and Deborah Herman.

Posted Image


Another well written and thought provoking book.  Dianne's parents joined a hippie cult and basically threw her out at age 14.  She ended up living with the Manson family and also Dennis Wilson for about two years.  She ended up testifying against Charles Manson in court at age 17.  Amazingly, she went on to live a happy, healthy life as a teacher for special needs children.

Of course I was going to read this.  My sister and I have had a somewhat deep interest in the Manson family since Jr. high, when we read Helter Skelter and got the crap scared out of us!  :lol:  Deep interest like "we used to be impressionable young girls at one point, glad we didn't live in CA then "; NOT deep interest like people that wanted to marry Manson.  Those people I don't get at all. :wtf:
Wow.  Got the same vibe when I read Helter Skelter.  Bugliosi just had a talent for that.  Just put this on hold for loan from the library, should have within the week.  Thanks for the tip.
About halfway through this. Wow. Charlie was fup ducked.

Yes!  I felt so sorry for the author having those loser parents.  They were pretty selfish.  :(

#5279 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1952 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:39 PM

Three quarters through Member of the Family.
Next up:  The President is Missing, by Bill Clinton & James Patterson, followed by:
The 15:17 to Paris, by Anthony Sadler, Alex Skarlatos, & Spencer Stone.  Will watch the movie when I come up on the hold list at the library.

#5280 MusicHead

MusicHead

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1254 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MO
  • Interests:God, writing, family, football, Dean Koontz, music, all things Spidey and Marvel.

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:25 AM

Mustaine by Shredmeister Dave.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users