What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Halfway thru Off the Road by Caroline Cassady (The wife of Neil Cassady, Jack Kerouac's traveling partner and essentially the Dean Moriarty figure in On The Road). What a bunch of jerks. :P

Never read “Off...”, just “On...” of course.

What makes them jerks in “Off...”? Deadbeat dad? Cheating at one thing or another? Swinging? Other? All?

Yeah, you pretty much hit all the nails on the head there!

I feel bad for the author, as she loved the schmuck (Cassady) but she also stayed with him (well, so far at least, I’m still reading it) despite his wandering eyes and feet. There’s also a whole lotta narcissism goin on, to paraphrase Jerry Lee Lewis. :D

And her writing style is very thoughtful, proper, and a little stilted at times, making it hard to really connect with any of them.

• Like 1

Halfway thru Off the Road by Caroline Cassady (The wife of Neil Cassady, Jack Kerouac's traveling partner and essentially the Dean Moriarty figure in On The Road). What a bunch of jerks. :P

What makes them jerks in “Off...”? Deadbeat dad? Cheating at one thing or another? Swinging? Other? All?

I feel bad for the author, as she loved the schmuck (Cassady) but she also stayed with him (well, so far at least, I’m still reading it) despite his wandering eyes and feet. There’s also a whole lotta narcissism goin on, to paraphrase Jerry Lee Lewis. :D

And her writing style is very thoughtful, proper, and a little stilted at times, making it hard to really connect with any of them.

Surely, there’s a bit of Sal Paradise in you though. Maybe even Dean. And if there weren’t, you’d more than likely be back in your warm, work cubicle this very second and not wanting to venture out into the frozen tundra...while feeling the shackles of that cubicle. :blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Going thru the Qur'an again. Halfway there.

Interesting that it's essentially an addendum to the Bible, with many Biblical figures/stories featuring prominently.

Also interesting to read it while I'm in a Muslim country (Indonesia).

And I find its telescopic structure quite fascinating.

Main reason I'm re-reading it is that I'm writing something involving a Muslim character, and just want to make sure that I understand as much as possible, and to cover my ass if offense is taken (the character, while a good person, swears a lot and is conflicted about wearing a hijab, and based on someone I met a few years ago).

The Oxford Classics version has a great introduction and decent footnotes, and is not translated as a poem (which the original Arabic text is). It's translated by MAS Abdel Haleem, if anyone is interested.

The main difference with Christianity is that Muslims believe that Jesus was a prophet (or "Messenger") and not the physical son of god.

The main difference with Judaism is that Muslims are against usury. That's pretty much it.

The Qur'an made simple!

By simpleton vt.

Not even close. The difference is much deeper and more complex.

I assume you’re referring to the last couple of sentences? Notice the “Qur’an made simple” joke?

Of course the differences are deeper and more complex but these appear to be the main sticking points. They believe in the 10 commandments, they believe in Jesus. They certainly believe in Noah and Moses because half the book is endless repetitions of their stories! :LOL:

I’m happy to hear your take on the Qur’an, if you care to enlighten. Not an easy book to read. Like the Bible, or pretty much every religious text, some of it’s a slog but there are some good bits. The telescopic structure is very cool.

They don't believe in Jesus as the only way to salvation. The Koran also teaches that you can get to heaven by good works. The Koran does not teach that the way to the Father is through Jesus. The Muslims believe that Jesus was nothing more than a profit. In other words, the Koran doesn't teach that Jesus was here from the beginning and to the everlasting. It's not part fo their teaching.

I guess you missed the part where I said that they believe in Jesus as a prophet but don’t believe he was the physical son of god. ;)

The Qur’an does not teach Christianity, because it is not Christianity. There are many similarities, but the Jesus/son of god thing, as proved by your post, seems to be the big sticking point.

In other words, Jesus not being the Messiah.

This would be a great SOCN thread.

• Like 1

Surely, there’s a bit of Sal Paradise in you though. Maybe even Dean. And if there weren’t, you’d more than likely be back in your warm, work cubicle this very second and not wanting to venture out into the frozen tundra...while feeling the shackles of that cubicle. :blaze:

Ixnay on the ubiclecay, svp!

Double ixnay on the undratay. :(

If you ever have a hankering to reread On The Road, you should check out OTR: the Original Scroll. Bigger, longer and uncut, to quote A. Ginsberg. None of the names have been changed so you’re reading about Cassady, Kerouac, and Burroughs - and now with more whores! :LOL:

• Like 1

If you ever have a hankering to reread On The Road, you should check out OTR: the Original Scroll. Bigger, longer and uncut, to quote A. Ginsberg. None of the names have been changed so you’re reading about Cassady, Kerouac, and Burroughs - and now with more whores! :LOL:

Yeah I read that too. But I read the Sal & Dean one first.

Then, years later, one of my bros gave me the Original Scroll version as a birthday gift...mainly because he identified me as a beatnik. He wasn’t too far off really.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till I drop. This is the night, what it does to you.”

How much longer are you in Cambodia again? I should pick you up, only drop you off some days later on some street corner in Saigon in the middle of the night with only your broken down suitcase and fifty dong. Somehow you’ll manage. I know. Because that’ll be the only thing left to do.

:blaze:

• Like 1

Then, years later, one of my bros gave me the Original Scroll version as a birthday gift...mainly because he identified me as a beatnik. He wasn’t too far off really.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till I drop. This is the night, what it does to you.”

How much longer are you in Cambodia again? I should pick you up, only drop you off some days later on some street corner in Saigon in the middle of the night with only your broken down suitcase and fifty dong. Somehow you’ll manage. I know. Because that’ll be the only thing left to do.

You have 5 more weeks to try to derail this trailer. Full steam ahead!

• Like 1

You have 5 more weeks to try to derail this trailer. Full steam ahead!

The problem with Sal/Jack is that he’s too lonely without his friends, and that’s not me.

The problem with Dean/Neal is that he’s too much of an all around fuckup, and that’s not entirely me...I hope.

• Like 1

Finished: Gold Dust Woman (Stevie Nicks bio) by Stephen Davis.

Current: The Operator, Firing the shots that killed Osama bin Laden and my years as a seal team warrior, by Robert O'Neill.

Next: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

• Like 1

Just finished two:

"Arthur Lee: Alone Again Or" by Barney Hoskyns

Short bio of Arthur Lee and Love, and how f***ed up they were. Has a few pages of cool photos.

"Snowing in Bali" by Kathryn Bonella

A breezy look at the cocaine trade in Bali. The author seemed genuinely surprised at the idea of cocaine being trafficked in Bali, and genuinely charmed by the drug dealers that she interviewed.

Working on "The Ferguson Affair" by Ross Macdonald.

Back cover blurb:

"The problem involved: a nympho movie star, an alcoholic millionaire, ambivalent cops, assorted junkies, ambulance-driving ghouls, an honest lawyer, robbery, blackmail, kidnapping, murder.

Only Ross Macdonald can weld all these into one absolutely air-tight mystery that bets the reader he can't solve it before the last breath-taking page!" :LOL:

I'm always interested in how many people read mostly non-fiction of whatever type. I love history but it's not enough for me to know what has been. I like to speculate on what could be which leads me to fiction and fantasy. On a side note about the difference between Christianity and Islam, most Jews don't believe in Jesus' divinity either but Christians count them as allies. Maybe because they came first? Religion/politics (mostly the same thing) is a hobby that I enjoy.

Truth Doesn't Have A Side, by Dr. Bennet Omalu. An autobiographical account of his discovery of CTE in football players.

I'll bet that was interesting. The story of Mike Webster is so tragic. :(

• Like 1

Truth Doesn't Have A Side, by Dr. Bennet Omalu. An autobiographical account of his discovery of CTE in football players.

I'll bet that was interesting. The story of Mike Webster is so tragic. :(

In the book Dr. Omalu is at work hears the report of Mike's death and the situation leading to it-Webster having memory problems, being bankrupt, living in his truck, etc. - when one of his co - workers tells him Webster's body is "here" (Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office), an Dr O is assigned to do the autopsy. Sad situation indeed.

As a follow-up, I placed a hold on the Wainrus' book, Wall of Denial, which was based on their PBS documentary of the Nfl's initial cover-up of the CTE crisis and attempts to vilify Omalu. Fubar.

• Like 1

About 90 pages into League of Denial. Very detailed account of Mike Webster's situation, which is downright sickening. Lots of descriptive information on Merril Hoge and his decision to retire early.

Damn.

• Like 1

Robin Hobb- Ship Of Destiny (Book three of The Liveship Traders trilogy, book six of The Realm Of The Elderlings)

Magnificent, I have yet to finish it but Robin Hobb has become my favourite fantasy author, and whilst it took some getting into, I may be enjoying this trilogy more than the first, the not quite connected Farseer trilogy. She binds four series (three trilogies, one quartet) into an overall expansive narrative. I look forward to seeing how she weaves all these works into a cohesive whole.

Gina loved this author and this entire series. I wonder where she is...I hope she is ok!

• Like 1

It Ain't Sauce, It's Gravy: Macaroni, Homestyle Cheesesteaks, The Best Meatballs In The World, And How Food Saved My Life, by Steve Martarano.

Yo Cuz, the recipes alone are worth the read.

• Like 1

Robin Hobb- Fool's Errand (Book One Of The Tawny Man Trilogy, Book Seven Of The Realm Of The Elderlings)

I can't put into words how amazing this series is. One of a kind and just so breathtaking.