5154 replies to this topic

#5141 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, sports, and Rock n' Roll

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

My opinion?  It's an interesting read throughout.  This kid following his hero.  The payoff is at the end, when it gets really Stephen Kingy...shades of Pet Semetary.  Hope that's not giving too much away.  But, to me, it pays to stick this one out.

Sponsored Post

#5142 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1665 posts
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:03 PM

View PostBlue Barchetta, on 05 August 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

My opinion?  It's an interesting read throughout.  This kid following his hero.  The payoff is at the end, when it gets really Stephen Kingy...shades of Pet Semetary.  Hope that's not giving too much away.  But, to me, it pays to stick this one out.
Cool!  I'll give it another try.

#5143 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:10 PM

View PostAlien Girl, on 05 August 2017 - 10:03 PM, said:

Stephen King (my favorite author, by the way) usually has "scary" moments throughout his novels.  This one is kind of a build up.  But really...don't trust my opinion too much.  The guy could publish a grocery list and I'd buy it.

#5144 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:16 PM

View PostBlue Barchetta, on 05 August 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

Stephen King (my favorite author, by the way) usually has "scary" moments throughout his novels.  This one is kind of a build up.  But really...don't trust my opinion too much.  The guy could publish a grocery list and I'd buy it.
By the way, what's up with this Dark Tower movie?  They stretched out 4 Tolkien books (which I love) into 6 movies (yeah...I love those as well) but they condense 7 mind-blowing novels into 1 movie?  No way!  I still may see it, if only because I need more than real-life shit to piss me off!

#5145 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1665 posts
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

View PostBlue Barchetta, on 05 August 2017 - 10:16 PM, said:

By the way, what's up with this Dark Tower movie?  They stretched out 4 Tolkien books (which I love) into 6 movies (yeah...I love those as well) but they condense 7 mind-blowing novels into 1 movie?  No way!  I still may see it, if only because I need more than real-life shit to piss me off!
I was actually going to start a thread about that.  I don't know how they can pull it off.  I love both actors so I don't doubt they can pull off the characterizations of The Gunslinger ad The Man in Black, but the story is another more complicated thing all together.  When I first heard they were making it into a movie I just assumed it was going to be more than one part (a la Lord of the Rings or The Hunger Games).  I mean HELLO, it's only a 7 novel series!  I don't know if I can take it.  May have to just wait for video and seethe in the comfort of my own home.

#5146 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

View PostAlien Girl, on 05 August 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

I was actually going to start a thread about that.  I don't know how they can pull it off.  I love both actors so I don't doubt they can pull off the characterizations of The Gunslinger ad The Man in Black, but the story is another more complicated thing all together.  When I first heard they were making it into a movie I just assumed it was going to be more than one part (a la Lord of the Rings or The Hunger Games).  I mean HELLO, it's only a 7 novel series!  I don't know if I can take it.  May have to just wait for video and seethe in the comfort of my own home.
My feeling (without seeing it) is it will be a "loosely based" kind of thing.  Hell..."Wizard and Glass" alone deserves a full movie treatment!

#5147 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

View PostBlue Barchetta, on 05 August 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

View PostAlien Girl, on 05 August 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

My feeling (without seeing it) is it will be a "loosely based" kind of thing.  Hell..."Wizard and Glass" alone deserves a full movie treatment!
Because that's when the Gunslinger really became THE GUNSLINGER!

#5148 Wayne

Wayne

The Seeker

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:05 AM

Posted Image

#5149 Mayra

Mayra

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Mathematics, Philosophy, Chemistry and Music

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

I'm reading The Trial by Franz Kafka and Iliad by Homer. :cool:

#5150 ReGorLaTroy

ReGorLaTroy

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 11608 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

Posted Image Started this (again), in anticipation of the new "It" movie.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy, 12 August 2017 - 04:00 PM.

#5151 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 20726 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

What a coincidence, I started this yesterday
Posted Image

#5152 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 3124 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

"The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" - Tom Wolfe

I'm about 130 pages in and I think I have a pretty good idea what the next 260 pages will offer. ;)

It's interesting as it's one of the few non-fiction novels, but certainly nowhere near the brilliance of "In Cold Blood".

Would the original "On the Road" be a non-fiction novel? Wouldn't it be one even with the names being changed? Hmmm...

Posted Image

#5153 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7155 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

Obama's America - Dinesh D'Souza

#5154 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 3124 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted Yesterday, 09:54 AM

Posted Image

I bought this as a kid thinking that it was a sci-fi book.
Nope.

Protagonist is a kid with a "speech defect" who begins to disappear into a dissociative state due to being overwhelmed by his parents divorce and subsequent move to NYC; things not being helped by a cruel teacher and self-absorbed mother.
Most likely written for young people, this long-out-of-print book is, as the cover states, "an unusual and disturbing novel". It's a little dated but well-written, and as an adult reader I am enjoying this immensely, despite some very sad scenes.
The prose is simple and spare and does not draw attention to itself, and makes me want to throw "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" into a fire/hole/recycling bin.  :yes: :madra:

#5155 ReGorLaTroy

ReGorLaTroy

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 11608 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:04 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 12 August 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

What a coincidence, I started this yesterday
Posted Image
They do say that great minds think alike. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users