Jump to content


What are you reading?


  • Please log in to reply
4955 replies to this topic

#4941 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 2023 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

View PostBlue J, on 04 March 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

The Unicorn, by Iris Murdoch


It's not actually about a unicorn, though, hahaha.

My god man, what's it about then? I'm piqued!

Noah's ark?
The Irish Rovers?
A Duocorn that needs an operation?
Eunuchs? a eunuch with a bad sense of humour?
Spies? spies that are eunuchs?
an Irish leper?
a tiger in a boat with an Irish leper?

Be careful if it's a pop-up book.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sponsored Post

#4942 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 2023 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

Reading "The Unique Horn" at Blue J's recommendation.

It's about the alpen-horn, and it's inventor Sydney Alpen, who interestingly enough, was a eunuch.
Gripping stuff. I mean 'griping'.

#4943 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 15946 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Haha!!

No, but it does take place at a Victorian house on the seaside, in Britain (not Ireland).

#4944 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 20313 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 14 February 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 3)- Robin Hobb

I absolutely adored the first two books. Just started the final volume in this trilogy (but more is still to come!).

Amazing writer. I may enjoy her more than Tad Williams and Tolkien...

I'm looking for a new book series to read. I'll check this out.

#4945 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 46735 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 04 March 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

Posted Image
Loved that song as a kid!

Let's see if I remember...

"Ya got your green alligators
And long-necked geese
Your humpty-back camels
And your chimpanzees
Rats and cats and elephants
As sure as you're born
But don't you forget my unicorn!"

:)

Surprised myself!

Edited by goose, 04 March 2017 - 09:06 PM.


#4946 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 28961 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Leaves' Eyes
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Brand New
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    The Doors
    Kansas

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:04 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 04 March 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 14 February 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 3)- Robin Hobb

I absolutely adored the first two books. Just started the final volume in this trilogy (but more is still to come!).

Amazing writer. I may enjoy her more than Tad Williams and Tolkien...

I'm looking for a new book series to read. I'll check this out.

One of a kind fantasy.

It is one of the few that doesn't have any obvious Tolkien-isms. It also doesn't read like fantasy. It feels...real.

One of the best works of fiction I have ever read. I'm waiting to finish the first trilogy before I make my mind up.

#4947 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 78781 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 04 March 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 04 March 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 14 February 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 3)- Robin Hobb

I absolutely adored the first two books. Just started the final volume in this trilogy (but more is still to come!).

Amazing writer. I may enjoy her more than Tad Williams and Tolkien...

I'm looking for a new book series to read. I'll check this out.

One of a kind fantasy.

It is one of the few that doesn't have any obvious Tolkien-isms. It also doesn't read like fantasy. It feels...real.

One of the best works of fiction I have ever read. I'm waiting to finish the first trilogy before I make my mind up.
Posted Image

#4948 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:ACT
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:32 PM

I'm reading "Assembling California" by John McPhee. Very dense and full of geology as well as history and other stuff. I love his writing

#4949 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 15946 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Bruno's Dream, by Iris Murdoch


I read her probably more frequently than any other novelist- she is an all-time favourite of mine. Four or five or six of her books per year, I go through. And yet there are still a few that I've read only once. This is one of them.

#4950 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

    Vapor Trail

  • Members *
  • 17060 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sweden
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

I am about to start reading this book now:

Posted Image

I was reading it before, when it was new, but about half thru the book I just stop reading it even tho I liked it. I don't know why, but now Im gonna give it a second go!

#4951 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

    Many Happy Returns

  • Members *
  • 6972 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - His Last Bow

#4952 Carvan Alex

Carvan Alex

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 205 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:La Habra, CA
  • Interests:Music, LA Sports (Dodgers/Kings/Rams), Comics, Movies, Theme Parks, England.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

Star Wars- Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void.  Probably not the best Star Wars book written.

#4953 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 4574 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies by Dennis Bartok and Jeff Joseph


New book from the library.  It's very good and pretty sad. Studios are no longer keeping many film copies of movies, now that everything has been digitized. Apparently there can be huge differences in the color and lighting when you see a real film vs digital, like there can be big differences in the sound of vinyl vs. an mp3 of a song.  Private collectors are the ones keeping film alive, for now.

#4954 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

    Many Happy Returns

  • Members *
  • 6972 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

No-one Left To Lie To - Christopher Hitchens

#4955 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:ACT
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

View Postblueschica, on 15 March 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies by Dennis Bartok and Jeff Joseph


New book from the library.  It's very good and pretty sad. Studios are no longer keeping many film copies of movies, now that everything has been digitized. Apparently there can be huge differences in the color and lighting when you see a real film vs digital, like there can be big differences in the sound of vinyl vs. an mp3 of a song.  Private collectors are the ones keeping film alive, for now.

I have friend who was A/V librarian for Miami/Dade Public Library and took photos of their massive film collection. Lots of shorts and art films but classics as well. Nobody knows how to run a projector anymore.

#4956 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:ACT
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

I am reading Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. This is in a new genre I would call "cozy" space opera. Like Nathan Lowell.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users