What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

J.V. Jones- The Baker's Boy (book one of The Book Of Words trilogy)

The first adult fantasy series I ever read, and still a major favourite of mine, it isn't quite as impressive as it was when I was 14 (but it isn't exactly hard work like some fantasy writers), but I love it all the same!

Sort of like if J.K. Rowling wrote Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow And Thorn.

I'm currently reading Neil's latest book.

I used to own them and can't remember how far I got into them back around 2005, but I am about to finally repurchase the Farseer trilogy!

• Like 1

American Heiress: The Wild Saga of the Kidnapping, Crimes and Trial of Patty Hearst- Jeffrey Toobin

It was really good! Patty Hearst was a 19 yr old from a wealthy family when she was kidnapped by a bunch of hippies calling themselves a revolutionary group. She was different than I had always thought and so was the group that had kidnapped her- they couldn't do anything right.

Interesting story about how prevalent bombs and bomb making materials used to be and also about how far some people of the 60's were willing to go for their causes, real or imagined.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock- Sammy Hagar

Very interesting! Not much Sex and Drugs, but a lot of rock and roll ! Sammy has a very strong work ethic, which I didn't realize. (His side of the VH story is that Eddie showed up drunk one too many times and it wasn't fair to the fans.) Mentions Ray Danniels a few times, not kindly, since Ray was negotiating for Eddie and Alex. A good read!

• Like 2

Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock- Sammy Hagar

Very interesting! Not much Sex and Drugs, but a lot of rock and roll ! Sammy has a very strong work ethic, which I didn't realize. (His side of the VH story is that Eddie showed up drunk one too many times and it wasn't fair to the fans.) Mentions Ray Danniels a few times, not kindly, since Ray was negotiating for Eddie and Alex. A good read!

I loved this book!

• Like 2

Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel. I haven't read this since I was a teenager so it's fun to revisit.

I remember that was huge in the 80's!

That's when I originally read it :D

• Like 1

Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel. I haven't read this since I was a teenager so it's fun to revisit.

I remember that was huge in the 80's!

That's when I originally read it :D

I was doing my student teaching, and I guess I was pretty solid because my supervising teacher read the series in the lounge during my stint. :LOL:
  • Like 1

Almost finished the Qur'an (Oxford World Classics). No covert reasons, I'm just trying to understand things on this planet as best as a hairless ape can.

As a book, it has an interesting structure, and interesting use of devices.

By structure, I just mean that the first chapter is 30 pages, the second chapter 29...kind of telescopic? The chapters get shorter as you go through it.

And devices - like switching of perspectives, from, say, the voice of god, to what god has said, to what the author is saying, if that makes sense. And use of repetition. Lots and lots of repetition!

Did I mention the repetition?

• Like 2

Just finished QB: My Life Behind the Spiral, by Steve Young with Jeff Benedict.

About to start The Obsidian Chamber by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Agent Pendergast series), followed by Order to Kill by Vince Flynn &Kyle Mays.