What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Finished "The Stand." Trash Can Man was my favorite character. The book had some decent politics, but King made it easy by seperating the evil people from the food people.

Starting "1984".

• Like 3

Finished "The Stand." Trash Can Man was my favorite character. The book had some decent politics, but King made it easy by seperating the evil people from the food people.

Starting "1984".

Your eyes deserve a rest after finishing The Stand! It is so huge, congrats! :D

This was written by Rick Bragg, a Pulitzer Prize winner and fellow southerner w/Jerry Lee. It was really interesting! I always knew Jerry Lee was somewhat unconventional; turns out he's totally unconventional. A good read.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/41TVigBPNtL._SX332_BO1204203200_.jpg

• Like 2

This was a good read as well. Robert Hilburn was a rock writer for the LA Times for years and told a lot of Johnny Cash's story I had never heard before. I think everyone has heard he had pill abuse problems in the 60's but I didn't realize he had chronic pain problems recur in the 80's that led to pill addiction again and medical problems for the rest of his life; sad in that respect. Always love his music, esp. the Rick Rubin produced stuff late in life.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/51WZpYwABXL._SX321_BO1204203200_.jpg

• Like 2

Always love his music, esp. the Rick Rubin produced stuff late in life.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/51WZpYwABXL._SX321_BO1204203200_.jpg

Rick Rubin's contribution gave us magic of incredible magnitude. Lyle Lovett inducted Johnny in the RRHOF...isn't that something?

What Jimi did to Dylan's Watchtower, Johnny accomplished with "Hurt". Unbelievable.

• Like 1

Rick Rubin's contribution gave us magic of incredible magnitude. Lyle Lovett inducted Johnny in the RRHOF...isn't that something?

What Jimi did to Dylan's Watchtower, Johnny accomplished with "Hurt". Unbelievable.

When he did "Hurt" has to be one of the most powerful videos and recordings ever, really. A woman I worked with had seen it on CMT (like I had) and had not seen a photo of Cash for awhile. She could not stop talking about how upsetting and yet moving it was; it has that effect on people. I couldn't turn away from it when it used to come on.

• Like 1

When he did "Hurt" has to be one of the most powerful videos and recordings ever, really. A woman I worked with had seen it on CMT (like I had) and had not seen a photo of Cash for awhile. She could not stop talking about how upsetting and yet moving it was; it has that effect on people. I couldn't turn away from it when it used to come on.

Agreed. He was a badass until the end. When his wife died you just knew he wasn't far behind. A great American.
  • Like 1

Starting "1984".

My favorite book of his, My favorite character was Flagg. I love how King made the point that people couldn't remember what he looked like.

• Like 1

Downloaded Stephen King's "Firestarter" too

Great book. The movie was horrible. Like so many of King's books, too much takes place in the characters' minds to translate well to a movie. Cujo and Christine especially suffer from that. Cujo was a suffocating book to read. The movie stinks. Oddly enough, Misery, which has the same vibe (to me) was a pretty decent movie.

Starting "1984".

My favorite book of his, My favorite character was Flagg. I love how King made the point that people couldn't remember what he looked like.

It was a great book. I owe you a debt of gratitude for the suggestion.

With it being so long, I'd listen to 4 or 5 hours each day and start to have dreams about the book at night. Silly me.

I still got mixed feelings about these audio books. Obviously, I can listen during the day, while I drive, but I feel like I'm cheating by not actually reading. However, some of the narrators are so good, on counterpoint, that I feel like I'm getting something extra, like 3d characters, by listening. Still, I feel like losing something by not reading, especially the spelling, for sure. For example, I'm old enough to know that Flagg, with the double g, is probably how you spell that word when used as a surname, but I didn't know that. One book, I didn't get to see the graphs, obviously, which I've been told made up a bulky part of the book, and the author's thesis on the subject matter.

What do you think?

BTW, a criticism of King. The guy needs to buy an Atlas, if he's going to call out highways and byways. Half the roads in The Stand were named incorrectly. That irked me, being a driver.

• Like 1

Starting "1984".

With it being so long, I'd listen to 4 or 5 hours each day and start to have dreams about the book at night. Silly me.

I still got mixed feelings about these audio books. Obviously, I can listen during the day, while I drive, but I feel like I'm cheating by not actually reading. However, some of the narrators are so good, on counterpoint, that I feel like I'm getting something extra, like 3d characters, by listening. Still, I feel like losing something by not reading, especially the spelling, for sure. For example, I'm old enough to know that Flagg, with the double g, is probably how you spell that word when used as a surname, but I didn't know that. One book, I didn't get to see the graphs, obviously, which I've been told made up a bulky part of the book, and the author's thesis on the subject matter.

What do you think?

BTW, a criticism of King. The guy needs to buy an Atlas, if he's going to call out highways and byways. Half the roads in The Stand were named incorrectly. That irked me, being a driver.

Well, he is a New Englander. How much worldliness can you expect? :)

I'm glad you liked the book though. For some reason, I really love when someone tells me they enjoyed a book I recommended. It's a pretty neat gift to give someone, IMO.

I've actually never listened to an audio book, to be honest. So I have no frame of reference for how different it might be. The one thing I don't think I'd like about it is that it would give voices to characters, which reading allows you to supply yourself. The Stand was made into a TV movie a while back. The character who played Flagg neither looked, nor sounded, like "my" Flagg.

Starting "1984".

What do you think?

Well, he is a New Englander. How much worldliness can you expect? :)

I'm glad you liked the book though. For some reason, I really love when someone tells me they enjoyed a book I recommended. It's a pretty neat gift to give someone, IMO.

I've actually never listened to an audio book, to be honest. So I have no frame of reference for how different it might be. The one thing I don't think I'd like about it is that it would give voices to characters, which reading allows you to supply yourself. The Stand was made into a TV movie a while back. The character who played Flagg neither looked, nor sounded, like "my" Flagg.

Hey, that's exactly why I never watch music videos. I have certain things that I think of when I hear a particular song, and I don't want that to be a video, like it is for so much of the music that had videos on MTV, which we watched a lot of back when they played videos, when I was growing up.

The narrator makes or breaks the audio book. The narrator of The Stand was AWESOME! He had a different voice for every character, and was able to seamlessly switch between them in conversation! The narrator for "Crime and Punishment" was excellent as well. I want to hear the emotions in the characters, not just a monotone reading.

Please suggest more books, but, they have to be good, like Rush quality! Lol.

Be cool.

Console Wars The battle that defined a Generation

This is about The 16 bit war between the Sega Genesis and

the Super Nintendo.

• Like 1

Finished "Mustaine: A heavy metal memoir." Holy shit, what a great book. The narrator, Tom Wayland, sounds just like Dave. He made this book great.

The book chronicles all the drug use, rehab, line changes, and mistakes, that Dave, and Megadeth, made over the years.

As an atheist, I have to admit that the best moment of the book was when Dave laid all his burdens down at the foot of the cross. He saved his life and his family by allowing Jesus to lift these weights off his shoulder.

• Like 2