What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

The Sea, The Sea, by Iris Murdoch

I am tempted to call this one of her very best, even though the protagonist, as principled as he seems to be, is of questionable moral character. Not thoroughly loathesome, but just...a bit of a selfish devil. Haha!

I just finished "Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner" by Judy Melinek with TJ Mitchell.

I gotta google this.

If you're interested in that sort of thing I've got a list of books I've read that I can pass along.

Top Secret Twenty One- Janet Evanovich

A great beach read! Grandma Mazur was hilarious as always!

I just finished reading that myself. I wish she would do something interesting with Stephanie and Ranger. It seems like the books have been the same old thing for the last five or six books at least. I still enjoy reading them but her lusting over Ranger and living on and off with Morelli gets kind of old.

• Like 1

I just finished reading that myself. I wish she would do something interesting with Stephanie and Ranger. It seems like the books have been the same old thing for the last five or six books at least. I still enjoy reading them but her lusting over Ranger and living on and off with Morelli gets kind of old.

Yea, both guys were pretty interesting to begin with, but it's getting harder and harder to believe the thing with both of them.

Yea, both guys were pretty interesting to begin with, but it's getting harder and harder to believe the thing with both of them.

Maybe she needs to bring someone else in that both of them can be jealous of. :LOL:

http://gozobooks.com/img/banana-inside-1.jpg

I dunno why but this book seems fitting for you! ;)

What's it about? Comedy?

• Like 1

http://gozobooks.com/img/banana-inside-1.jpg

I dunno why but this book seems fitting for you! ;)

What's it about? Comedy?

How not to be bored and eat good food. Funny stuff. My kids and I have used this book for hours of family fun
  • Like 1

I usually read several books at the same time. At the moment I'm reading Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brien, some Beatles biography, Nick Cave's Sick bag song and The Second World War by Antony Beevor.

I love Harry Potter, but I am restarting another classic on the side:

Tolstoy- War And Peace

Possibly my favourite work of fiction ever, rivalled by both Potter and Dickens' A Tale Of Two Cities. This is my third different translation (this one is the one directly approved by Tolstoy), and my third reading of it. It is delicious! People who claim it is hard to read have honestly never even picked it up. Involving and gripping from the opening conversation onwards.

Between Potter and Tolstoy, I am spoiling myself!

Today I also found in a local store two Tolstoy novels I have yet to read: The Cossacks and Resurrection.

• Like 1

Harry Potter is classic fiction. Sorry, not offended by anyone mocking it for being a kids book.

I know lots of pensioners who adore it, stacks of readers in their forties, and honestly? Most of this series reads like a classic Victorian boarding school novel, and the creativity and depth of each and every character matches the very best of Charles Dickens (a writer I absolutely love).

Call it a kids book. But I know more adult readers who were already adults in 1997 when the first book came out.

My favourite novels ever. And I read a lot of them!

I know they released the books in the U.K. with an "adult cover" as well as a young readers cover for the adults who wanted to read it but didn't want to look like they were reading a kids book.

They did! Oddly enough, most adults stopped caring which format was used after a while, as I am sure you can no longer buy them in the shops, especially now they have released new covers again.

I just got the full set of American hardback editions, with all the illustrations and what not. For all the so called "Americanisation" of the text, it is surprising how authentically British they still read. I can cope with the subtle differences, as the American publishers did an absolutely beautiful job with the art design, both with the original covers and the chapter illustrations (not to mention the stylised letters and newspaper articles). Also, the quality of the hardcovers are immensely better than that of the British. They were really frail and would actually start to crack and break after just one read.

So I am resuming The Prisoner Of Azkaban now with the actual book, and not my tablet. This particular novel I think is one of the finest works of suspense fiction ever. Even after reading the book many times and seeing the film, the way the dread Sirius Black creeps into Harry's life before the final showdown at the end is so beautifully handled, it fascinates me just how clever Rowling is as a writer! I have never been able to predict my way through her books, and like all the great writers and their works, you benefit more from rereading them as there is a lot of depth, and storytelling nuances, that can only be noticed with hindsight.

If Harry Potter is for kids, then Star Wars is strictly for foetuses.

This book is my absolute fav of the series; I love how Rowling has so many twists and turns in this one. I get teary eyed when I read the part where Harry sees the stag patronus and thinks of his father :( . I am planning on re-reading Harry this summer too, after I re-read the Golden Compass series :LOLsign:

• Like 2

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

Just started it. Marvellous novel!

Reading this for approximately the eighth time, and this is honestly the most I have ever enjoyed it!

My ten year old loved it sooooo much

You mean he can read? :LOL:

Oh yes. He even has manners.

Finished listening to " The Blank Slate" by Stephen Pinker, finally. Now, listening to " The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins, and trying to finish "Dune" by Frank Herbert.

I finished "Dune," "The Blank Slate," and I'm also finished with "The God Delusion."

I downloaded "Mr. Mercedes" by Stephen King, last Sunday, and had it finished by Thursday. That was the first Stephen King novel I've listened too. It was awesome. I'll download "Finder's Keepers" today, I guess.

Just about finished with Contents Under Pressure, have learned a few things I didn't know, am at Hold Your Fire right now, interesting... :cool: Can't wait for tomorrow! :rush:

War and Peace. Never read it before; just started it this morning.

Woop woop!

• Like 1