What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Started Robin Hobb's The Assassins Apprentice.

I found the very first chapter incredibly beautiful. I was actually moved by two things: the boys mother, and the instant kinship he had with a family of dogs.

I am actually really looking forward to getting stuck into this now, as I am rarely captivated by a book so immediately.

If you like it already then you'll LOVE the series!

Let me know if you really get into the books and want to read more. She's got several trilogies that should be read in a particular order and it's not obvious what that order is. (I've read them out of order so much of the suspense was lost when I already knew what happened :( )

Ok! Have I started in the right place?

I noticed she has a few trilogies, and assumed the reading order is the same as the order of release?

I am taking it slowly, on chapter two now (steady Segue, steady lol), but the writing, O MY WORD! I revisited some J.V. jones recently, having loved her books as a kid, but was struck by how timid her prose was, how lacking in detail her descriptions were, for a book classified as adult fantasy. Robin Hobb paints pictures...the image of the boys mum screaming after him as he is dragged from her in the snow was heartbreaking, and his relationship with Nosy touched me deeply, barely even into the first book!

I have high hopes for this. I love good writing, yes I enjoy lighter fair, and children's literature, but this style is scrumptius!

Yes, you've started in the right place! I'm not sure what order they were released in without looking it up, but read them in this order:

Farseer trilogy (where you are now)

Liveship Traders trilogy

Tawny Man trilogy

Rain Wilds Chronicles (the dragon quadrilogy)

Fool's Assassin (the 1st book in a new trilogy)

(There's also a Soldier Son trilogy that I haven't read yet, but I think that is set in a different world.)

It seems like a lot of books, but I'm now on the last one and it's going to be over too soon!

nice thing about this genre is that he best books beg for rereading. I know many frown upon them, but Harry Potter I could read for the rest of my life and never miss anything else. It is pointless reading Tolkien only once...I have a feeling these books are going to sweep me off my feet!
  • Like 1

Find myself again and again reading Fahrenheit 451.

Year after year...Such a wonderful book with a fantastic future vision.

Ray Bradbury (R.I.P.) was one of the best American storytellers. See Dandelion Wine.

Love his work.

• Like 3

"So, Anyway. . . " by John Cleese. It's a memoir by him, from childhood to the forming of Monty Python. It's very pleasant and entertaining- I never realized how many years he spent writing for the BBC, David Frost and even being in a Broadway show before ending up in Monty Python. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story from that point on in another book, someday!
  • Like 1

"So, Anyway. . . " by John Cleese. It's a memoir by him, from childhood to the forming of Monty Python. It's very pleasant and entertaining- I never realized how many years he spent writing for the BBC, David Frost and even being in a Broadway show before ending up in Monty Python. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story from that point on in another book, someday!

That sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. :)

• Like 1

I just picked up that book and look forward to reading it.

• Like 2

The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory - Brian Greene
  • Like 1

Rocks: My Life In and Out of Aerosmith by Joe Perry.

I would rate it as just OK, maybe because I'm not that big of an Aerosmith fan. Parts on band history are interesting, as well as his basis for his disregard for Steven Tyler and that he will never trust him again. Other parts are strangely boring. Then he has a story about "his" classic '59 Les Paul tobacco burst guitar. He loved it, sold it in the 70's because he "had to" (he doesn't specify but alludes to drugs) , was offered it back for $ 8000.00 from a blues player, still didn't have the money (drugs) , and it went through some other players and ended up with Slash of Guns N Roses about 8 years later. Joe proceeds to badger Slash to sell "Joe's" guitar back for the next like 15 years, and finally stops because "it's f***ing up our friendship." Ya think? Slash, being a standup guy, (and not wanting to be killed in his sleep, probably) gifts it back to Joe on his 50th birthday. I know guitar players are famous for their axes but geez, Joe gave it up twice and it became Slash's as well. . . . .just sayin'. (and no acknowlegement by Joe that he was getting it from anyone who had owned it before him!)

Taking a break after several more Doctor Who novelizations (Castrovalva, The Visitation, The Hand of Fear, The Sensorites, Frontios) to read another book by my favourite author, P.G. Wodehouse. Just started Money for Nothing this morning.

Just finished listening to "The Fountainhead" audiobook. It was narrated by Christopher Hurt and was AWESOME. I'm trying to listen to a lot of the classics that I never got around to. Next is Crime and Punishment. Edited by Ayn Rand
  • Like 1

Terry Pratchett - Raising Steam

LOVE the Discworld books. I'm re-reading Men At Arms right now.

I somehow missed this when it came out and recently discovered it existed. And I recall hearing that there is one last Discworld book that will be published soon, so I"ll need to read that one as well. "Collect the entire set!"