What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Just finished: Jerry Lee Lewis: My Story, by Rick Bragg

Just started: The Filthy Truth, by Andrew Dice Clay w/ David Ritz

Next: Brian Jones: The Making of The Rolling Stones, by Paul Trynka

Edited by pjbear05

Just started:

Ken Follett- The Century Trilogy: Fall Of Giants

Really enjoyable prose! After reading a lot of dense fantasy and children's lierature, it makes a nice change to tackle something grounded in reality.

Finished The Silkworm and it was great, didn't see the plot twist coming. Decided to read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and realize how much the movies stuck in my brain, this is much better IMHO. Then will re-read The Daughter of Time which I read in college but there has been some stuff in the news about Richard III so I wanted to revisit it. And I am starting another Longmire, just can't get enough of these books, boy howdy :LOL: Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

Finished The Count of Monte Cristo some time back. Found the first 100 - 150 pages to e very good. After that it did nothing for me.

Just bought, and will start tonight, The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss. A signed copy no less!!! His first 2 books (The Name of the Wind & The Wise mans Fear) are magnificent so I have very high hopes.

If you have not tried Rothfuss I highly recommend his first 2 books.

I just finished two books, each related to the other. First was Salman Rushdie's autobiography, Joseph Anton. a tedious read, but some fascinating insight into the culture and politics of radical Islam and the practice of the "Fatwa", or religious decision, in this case the declaration of a death sentence on the author by Iran's then Ayatollah Khomeni. Reading the autobiography gave me an excellent frame of mind for reading his Satanic Verses.

Satanic Verses was a great, but far from easy read. It's an excellent combination of fantasy and reality, and for the first two thirds I couldn't figure out what Khomeni and his radical followers had been all bent out of shape about. But in the last third of the novel Rushdie really goes after the Koran and Mohammed's revelations, much like Joseph Smith's revelations are parodied by critics of Mormon doctrine. I'm glad I read these two books.

• Like 1

Took a break between Doctor Who novelizations to catch up on some Green Lantern. Read the Sinestro Corps Wars, Secret Origin, Rise of the Red Lanterns and Agent Orange...now ready for the Blackest Night.

But first, back to Doctor Who. Last night I started Space War, the novelization of Jon Pertwee story Frontier in Space.

• Like 1

Finished The Count of Monte Cristo some time back. Found the first 100 - 150 pages to e very good. After that it did nothing for me.

Just bought, and will start tonight, The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss. A signed copy no less!!! His first 2 books (The Name of the Wind & The Wise mans Fear) are magnificent so I have very high hopes.

If you have not tried Rothfuss I highly recommend his first 2 books.

I thought The Count of Monte Cristo was a fantastic book. I loved the whole thing.

I'm curious what you thought of The Slow Regard of Silent Things. I absolutely loved Rothfuss' first two books (where's the third? hurry and write it!), but TSRoST but just not for me. I couldn't even finish reading it.

Rendez-Vous With Rama

Read that Savage!

Great book. I remember reading that when it first came out. I think they've been working on a movie of this for quite some time. I'm sure they will screw it up. I think the premise is much more scary reading it than it would be in a movie.

• Like 1

Rendez-Vous With Rama

Read that Savage!

Great book. I remember reading that when it first came out. I think they've been working on a movie of this for quite some time. I'm sure they will screw it up. I think the premise is much more scary reading it than it would be in a movie.

I want that book left alone.

Rendez-Vous With Rama

Read that Savage!

Yeah me too. Childhood's End would make an awesome movie though, and I don't know why it hasn't been done yet.

Rendez-Vous With Rama

Read that Savage!

Yeah me too. Childhood's End would make an awesome movie though, and I don't know why it hasn't been done yet.

Havent read that yet!

Rendez-Vous With Rama

Read that Savage!

Havent read that yet!

I haven't read it in years and years but I remember really loving it at one time. Check it out.

Edited by EagleMoon

Rendez-Vous With Rama

Read that Savage!

Havent read that yet!

I haven't read it in years and years but I remember really loving it at one time. Check it out.

Yeah, I read Childhood's End back when I was in college, and I remember liking it a lot.

• Like 1

Rendez-Vous With Rama

Read that Savage!

Havent read that yet!

Yeah, I read Childhood's End back when I was in college, and I remember liking it a lot.

Elements of "V" without the lizard aspect.

• Like 1