What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

I am waiting for my Chronicles Of Narnia bound volume to arrive. Fully illustrated throughout by original artist Pauline Baynes, this edition has the bonus by being colourised throughout.

I cannot wait!

Great books.

These were the first book series I ever read as a kid. I just loved the sense of wonder when they first went through the wardrobe into Narnia. Years later I bought the whole series in paperback but I would like to have them in hardback. In fact maybe I'll start reading them again. :)

I read through them every few years, and I seem to come away with a new favorite each time (Horse and His Boy when I was a kid, then Last Battle, and Dawn Treader most recently).

The Duffers and their empty mansion always gave me the creeps a bit.

I love that part. It's very eerie. :)

I am still waiting for it to arrive.

I am going through a lot of the things I loved as a kid, Narnia, Harry Potter, Disney, The Lord Of The Rings, the music of HIM, and I have been delighted by each and every one of these!

Some things just never grow old. I love it when you revisit the classics of childhood and they still hold up as strong!

• Like 2

I have just started reading The Lord Of The Rings again.

Of all the works of fiction I have enjoyed in my lifetime, this is the one that keeps getting better with every new reading.

And for what it is worth, A Long-Expected Party is my vote for the greatest opening chapter to a book ever! Such a nice, warm tone and an excellent way to invite the reader into a world that more often than not can be very dark and foreboding, even if it is full of wonder and enchantment!

• Like 1

Some things just never grow old. I love it when you revisit the classics of childhood and they still hold up as strong!

That's how I feel about Jane Eyre.

Period drama's are timeless. I love Dickens as well, his A Tale Of Two Cities is my favourite novel ever!

• Like 1

Period drama's are timeless. I love Dickens as well, his A Tale Of Two Cities is my favourite novel ever!

You reminded of David Copperfield. Another one for me. Or Wuthering Heights. My childhood was spent more in reading than anything else.

To curl up on an autumn or winter night with one of these novels is like visiting with a childhood friend I haven't spoken to in years. It's very comforting.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

You reminded of David Copperfield. Another one for me. Or Wuthering Heights. My childhood was spent more in reading than anything else.

To curl up on an autumn or winter night with one of these novels is like visiting with a childhood friend I haven't spoken to in years. It's very comforting.

I was bullied as a youngster for being ugly and geeky, so books were my escape for years as I felt I could love these characters and that if they knew me, they would love me as well.

Then puberty worked wonders for me and then everyone decided I was good looking and tried to be my friend. What did I learn from this? Well, I realised the world I live in can be far too shallow for my tastes, so I still love to curl up with a good book and make friends with these fictitious people, again and again!

Arg, without that escape as a youngster I would hate to think where I would be now. And despite what people assume when they first meet me, I am and always will be a massive bookworm!

I feel that lately I have been getting a tad too personal on this forum...

• Like 2

I was bullied as a youngster for being ugly and geeky, so books were my escape for years as I felt I could love these characters and that if they knew me, they would love me as well.

Then puberty worked wonders for me and then everyone decided I was good looking and tried to be my friend. What did I learn from this? Well, I realised the world I live in can be far too shallow for my tastes, so I still love to curl up with a good book and make friends with these fictitious people, again and again!

Arg, without that escape as a youngster I would hate to think where I would be now. And despite what people assume when they first meet me, I am and always will be a massive bookworm!

I can relate to what you have written very well.

• Like 1

I can relate to what you have written very well.

Phew!

Was worried I may have sounded stuck up, but people always think that I was somehow adored growing up like I was Mr. Popular 24/7 when in actual fact I was pretty messed up and at one point had to switch schools because it got so bad. People are very kind about me now and it is something I find very difficult to cope with, odd though that sounds, although older friends tell me that it is normal to spend years learning to find comfort in ones very own shoes. I guess 24 is still very young?!

Edited by Segue Myles

The books I've read in the past few months:

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris

The 6th Extinction by James Rollins

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

The Trident Deception by Rick Campbell

The Grail Series and The Saxon Tales Series by Bernard Cornwell

Silo Saga by Hugh Howey

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

The Ocean at the End of the Land by Neil Gaiman

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Martian by Andy Weir

Currently reading:

Fatherland by Robert Harris

Edited by adace1
  • Like 1

Almost finished The Fellowship Of The Ring, after nearly a week. And a ferociously busy week to boot!

But I do love the moments I spend with Tolkien. The films are not really close to being the books equal, although I admit I love those as well!

Once I start, it takes hours to put it down again!

• Like 3

^I read the LotR trilogy for the first time earlier this year and was blown away. Classic, unforgettable stories and Tolkien's writing style was just beautiful and epic.

Gotta read The Hobbit, Silmarillion, and Children of Hurin at some point.

^I read the LotR trilogy for the first time earlier this year and was blown away. Classic, unforgettable stories and Tolkien's writing style was just beautiful and epic.

Gotta read The Hobbit, Silmarillion, and Children of Hurin at some point.

This isnt my first time, but this is the most enjoyable time i have had reading it.

And we have the same reading pile!

• Like 1

Finished Fatherland by Robert Harris. It's a great political mystery novel that takes place in a fictional 1960's Nazi Germany that had won WW2. Compelling story and great film noir-esque dialogue.

Just started The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell, the 8th title in his Saxon Chronicles series. For me, Cornwell is the master of historical novels. If you haven't read his stuff, I highly recommend you start with The Last Kingdom and go through the Saxon series from there.

Finished Fatherland by Robert Harris. It's a great political mystery novel that takes place in a fictional 1960's Nazi Germany that had won WW2. Compelling story and great film noir-esque dialogue.

Just started The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell, the 8th title in his Saxon Chronicles series. For me, Cornwell is the master of historical novels. If you haven't read his stuff, I highly recommend you start with The Last Kingdom and go through the Saxon series from there.

Fatherland is great, and deserves a proper film adaptation.

And I want to start Bernard Cornwell's series. Not a fan of Sharpe, but his Saxon Chronicles look really good!

• Like 1

Mutts Diaries - McDonnell

Phantom of fifth avenue. Gordon

The Scandalous Sisters of Pickwillow Place - Berry

C.S. Lewis- The Magician's Nephew

Giving Tolkien a little break, I have been eager to read the Narnia stories for a while and I am so happy to start them again!

Nothing beats classic children's literature.

Giving Tolkien a little break, I have been eager to read the Narnia stories for a while and I am so happy to start them again!

I love Narnia. My favorite children's series of books ever. Maybe I should read them again. It's been a while.

I love Narnia. My favorite children's series of books ever. Maybe I should read them again. It's been a while.

For me Harry Potter is the best, but Narnia is something very special.

For me Harry Potter is the best, but Narnia is something very special.

Well that makes sense. Narnia was around when I was a child and Harry Potter didn't even exist yet.