twirling sticks

s1gny

Hello there,

i'm pretty new to that forum, and its my first post, and i even don't know, if this post ist right-placed here.

After watching the Rush in Rio DVD i still wonder how Neil twirlis his sticks. As i'm a drummer, and playing pro-mark sticks (what else? smile.gif) i tried that also, but after a few rounds the sticks fall out of my hands.

Does anyone know, how to learn that twirling?

regards,

s1gny

ps: sorry about my english, i'm german.

QUOTE (s1gny @ Apr 3 2005, 09:02 AM)
Hello there,
i'm pretty new to that forum, and its my first post, and i even don't know, if this post ist right-placed here.

After watching the Rush in Rio DVD i still wonder how Neil twirlis his sticks. As i'm a drummer, and playing pro-mark sticks (what else? smile.gif) i tried that also, but after a few rounds the sticks fall out of my hands.

Does anyone know, how to learn that twirling?

regards,
s1gny

ps: sorry about my english, i'm german.

I'd like to learn that trick too. I've seen a couple web sites out there, some even have animated step-by-step instructions. I still can't do it, though.

Recently, a drummer friend of mine (CygnusX-1bk2) showed me how to do this...even gave me some sticks to practice with...

That being said....I've practiced a bit---basically you have the stick between your index and middle fingers, and you get the stick twirling (for me, counterclockwise) and try to get some momentum going and build up speed. It looks pretty impressive, for about 10 seconds, and then the stick slips out of my fingers.

Of course, this whole thing is made even MORE hilarious by the fact that I am not a drummer. I just like to pretend.

biggrin.gif

Whenever I started twriling my sticks, I used to have to put concentration into what I was doing.

One that I do is i place the stick inbetween my middle and ring finger and move them back and forth so the stick moves in a clockwise motion.

Another one that I do is I just feed the stick through my fingers as it moves along my hand.

The Third one that I do is I just rotate the stick around my middle and index figer using my thumb as a gude for the stick.

It takes some practice, but once you get used to it, it just becomes a natural feel and you'll find yourself doing it without even noticing it sometimes.

Haha I can help you out with this, as I am a master of the drumstick twirl. Yeah, it's an optical illusion, and what you do is put the stick between your first and second fingers and move your WRIST to get it to twirl in either counter or clockwise circle, whatever's clever for you. Basically to learn it, move your wrist slowly in a circular motion to make the stick move till you can get some speed. See eventually, you'll be able to do it without moving your wrist a whole lot to the point where it isn't noticeable anymore. All the motion and momentum comes from your wrist, but eventually you have to be able to keep your wrist still while you do it otherwise you'll look really stupid. biggrin.gif It's really not that hard, just give it some time and practice! Good luck!

i actaully have been palying drums for about 8 years now and I have never learned how to do that trick since september of 2004. one of my friends who is also a drummer tought me how to do this. What I found help me to learn how to do it was I used really skinny sticks and just did it for about 30 mins a day. I can now to it with 5B's. But I can do a trick that it seems that nobody else seems to know. I take the stick and put it between my index and middle finger then I transfer it down to middle and ring. then to ring and pinky and then right back up and down and up and down for about 45 seconds. May people were impressed with this move but I think this is harder than the stick twirling. 2.gif

Archived