Rotate Your Stock!

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Nov 20 2009, 02:16 PM)
Ahh the Double Bastard. Found some at Stew Leonard's Wine's here in NJ last weekend and polished it off imediately during the football games on Sunday. I find I like that much more than the Oaked AB, personally.

Also at Stew's I found both the Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop & Wet Hop Harvest ales. Plan to do a side-by-side comparison this weekend (in the name of science and research, of course!)

The Vertical Epic '09 is apparently gone from the shelves. Only managed to pick up one this time around, but it twas tasty.

PTA

The Fresh Hop and Wet Hop Ale are both very good. You can't go wrong with either one. Personally, I liked the Wet Hop a little bit more, but SN doesn't do anything badly.

Let us know your thoughts after you do the side by side trink39.gif

Stone just started distributing in my area last February, so this is the first time they've been around my area when they released the Double Bastard. And its the only beer of theirs I haven't tried yet, but that'll change in about 6 hours laugh.gif

I absolutely love the VE 09.09.09. I've got 2 in the fridge for now and 3 in the cellar to drink in '10, '11 & '12.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 20 2009, 01:36 PM)
Ahh the Double Bastard.  Found some at Stew Leonard's Wine's here in NJ last weekend and polished it off imediately during the football games on Sunday.  I find I like that much more than the Oaked AB, personally.

Also at Stew's I found both the Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop & Wet Hop Harvest ales.  Plan to do a side-by-side comparison this weekend (in the name of science and research, of course!)

The Vertical Epic '09 is apparently gone from the shelves.  Only managed to pick up one this time around, but it twas tasty.

PTA

The Fresh Hop and Wet Hop Ale are both very good. You can't go wrong with either one. Personally, I liked the Wet Hop a little bit more, but SN doesn't do anything badly.

Stone just started distributing in my area last February, so this is the first time they've been around my area when they released the Double Bastard. And its the only beer of theirs I haven't tried yet, but that'll change in about 6 hours laugh.gif

I absolutely love the VE 09.09.09. I've got 2 in the fridge for now and 3 in the cellar to drink in '10, '11 & '12.

I've had the SN Fresh Hop Harvest several times, but this was only the second time trying the SN Wet Hop Harvest, and this was the first time I had the two side by side.

What I favor about the Fresh Hop Harvest is a slightly fruitier and slightly more piny taste. The Wet Hop was very enjoyable, but I found the taste to be a little heavier, but not as distinct in terms of MF. I also preferred the aroma of the Fresh Hop over the Wet Hop.

So, a slight edge to the Fresh Hop Harvest Ale. I think its more of what I like in an IPA/APA...slightly less bitterness and more of a grassy/piney hoppiness to it.

Now, while on the subject of IPAs.....I have now twice had what I may soon be calling my favorite DIPA ever. I picked it up on a whim, and a recommendation from one of the beer guys at a local store. Its called Captain Lawrence's Reserve Imperial IPA

Wow.

Its a small bottle / growler, 16.9oz. But just right for the large IPA glass and this beer is really terrific. Its a tad bit sweet and thick but IMO, its got everything I look for in a hoppy beer - its got citrus, pine, a grassy hoppy overtone, a beautiful golden amber honey color, a nice thick lacing head that settles on the glass, and it packs a punch. If I find this stuff again I am literally buying as many as they have.

The brewery appears to be in Pleasantville, NY....I think that means its time for a road trip. Searching on their beers, they appear to produce quite a catalog of types/styles. If you get a chance, give it a try, would love to hear other's opinions on it

PTA

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Nov 23 2009, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 20 2009, 01:36 PM)
Ahh the Double Bastard.  Found some at Stew Leonard's Wine's here in NJ last weekend and polished it off imediately during the football games on Sunday.  I find I like that much more than the Oaked AB, personally.

Also at Stew's I found both the Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop & Wet Hop Harvest ales.  Plan to do a side-by-side comparison this weekend (in the name of science and research, of course!)

The Vertical Epic '09 is apparently gone from the shelves.  Only managed to pick up one this time around, but it twas tasty.

PTA

I've had the SN Fresh Hop Harvest several times, but this was only the second time trying the SN Wet Hop Harvest, and this was the first time I had the two side by side.

What I favor about the Fresh Hop Harvest is a slightly fruitier and slightly more piny taste. The Wet Hop was very enjoyable, but I found the taste to be a little heavier, but not as distinct in terms of MF. I also preferred the aroma of the Fresh Hop over the Wet Hop.

So, a slight edge to the Fresh Hop Harvest Ale. I think its more of what I like in an IPA/APA...slightly less bitterness and more of a grassy/piney hoppiness to it.

Now, while on the subject of IPAs.....I have now twice had what I may soon be calling my favorite DIPA ever. I picked it up on a whim, and a recommendation from one of the beer guys at a local store. Its called Captain Lawrence's Reserve Imperial IPA

Wow.

Its a small bottle / growler, 16.9oz. But just right for the large IPA glass and this beer is really terrific. Its a tad bit sweet and thick but IMO, its got everything I look for in a hoppy beer - its got citrus, pine, a grassy hoppy overtone, a beautiful golden amber honey color, a nice thick lacing head that settles on the glass, and it packs a punch. If I find this stuff again I am literally buying as many as they have.

The brewery appears to be in Pleasantville, NY....I think that means its time for a road trip. Searching on their beers, they appear to produce quite a catalog of types/styles. If you get a chance, give it a try, would love to hear other's opinions on it

PTA

I'll be on the lookout for the Captain Lawrence.

Today I added some SN Celebration Ale. Always a favorite, can't wait to try this years. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 28 2009, 02:25 PM)
After buying 6 more Double Bastards yesterday, I splurged and bought an entire case of Double Bastard today trink38.gif

I hope your house is already paid for................... laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 2 2009, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 28 2009, 02:25 PM)
After buying 6 more Double Bastards yesterday, I splurged and bought an entire case of Double Bastard today  trink38.gif

I hope your house is already paid for................... laugh.gif

laugh.gif Yeah, its was kinda $$$. I think I'm done "stocking" for a while.

Well, my new favorite beer is Captain Lawrence's Imperial IPA. I'm addicted to it, its that simple. Just ordered a case. In doing so, I happened to strike up a conversation with a really helpful guy @ Stew Leonard's who just happened to have a case (only a case for the store) of the highly coveted collaboration between Sierra Nevada & Dogfish..."Life & Limb". One bottle per customer so I got mine and I'm pretty excited about it. Thats self explanatory though since I'm posting a picture of it. 1022.gif

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/P1020115.jpg

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Dec 4 2009, 11:12 PM)
Well, my new favorite beer is Captain Lawrence's Imperial IPA.  I'm addicted to it, its that simple.  Just ordered a case.  In doing so, I happened to strike up a conversation with a really helpful guy @ Stew Leonard's who just happened to have a case (only a case for the store) of the highly coveted collaboration between Sierra Nevada & Dogfish..."Life & Limb".  One bottle per customer so I got mine and I'm pretty excited about it.  Thats self explanatory though since I'm posting a picture of it. 1022.gif

Nice! I'll be asking my beer guy about that and the Captain Lawrence on my next trip there.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 4 2009, 11:54 PM)
Well, my new favorite beer is Captain Lawrence's Imperial IPA.  I'm addicted to it, its that simple.  Just ordered a case.  In doing so, I happened to strike up a conversation with a really helpful guy @ Stew Leonard's who just happened to have a case (only a case for the store) of the highly coveted collaboration between Sierra Nevada & Dogfish..."Life & Limb".  One bottle per customer so I got mine and I'm pretty excited about it.  Thats self explanatory though since I'm posting a picture of it. 1022.gif

Nice! I'll be asking my beer guy about that and the Captain Lawrence on my next trip there.

Been trying to find this one, but having no luck. Nobody around here can tell me when or if we will get any sad.gif

1-0-0-1 : let me know if you find Captain Lawrence. I'm eager to hear what you think of it. I match it very closely with Stone's Ruination but it is much more drinkable. In fact, Ive drank a bottle per night since picking it up :-)

Snowdog - not sure what the deal with Life & Limb is. The web site says "available starting Nov 2009" but based on what the guy at my store said, the release is limited. He said that for Stones VE 09.09, the county I live in received 8-9 cases. His store got one case. For Life & Limb, he thinks the total county distribution was about the same. Most of the bottles were spoken for. Also, was reading that the draft-only version is "Limb & Life" - but I cant confirm that anywhere.

What I like about Stew Leoanrd's is that each time I go back they have something they havent had before to try.

Sam Adams -Black Lager

Saranac -Black Forest

I am officaly addicted to Black Lagers trink38.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 4 2009, 11:54 PM)

hey love the sig 1-0-0......how appropriate that the shot has the Islander's logo front and center on Neil's kit

Today i got some..........

Hobgoblin Dark Ale

Brooklyn Brown

Brooklyn Chocolate Stout

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 15 2009, 05:43 PM)
Today i got some..........
Hobgoblin Dark Ale
Brooklyn Brown
Brooklyn Chocolate Stout

I haven't tried the first two, but the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is outstanding. yes.gif

Quite a few new brews on the shelf today at the store. I'm stoked over today's addition to the stock:

Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout

Cigar City Winter Warmer Ale

Dogfish Head Squall DIPA

Thomas Hooker Imperial Porter

Rogue XS Old Crustacean Barleywine

and I picked up an old favorite seasonal, Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Looking forward to trying all of these 1022.gif

Edited by Snowdog

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 18 2009, 01:09 PM)
Quite a few new brews on the shelf today at the store. I'm stoked over today's addition to the stock:

Dogfish Head Squall DIPA

and I picked up an old favorite seasonal, Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Looking forward to hearing about that Dogfish one.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 18 2009, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 18 2009, 01:09 PM)

Dogfish Head Squall DIPA

Looking forward to hearing about that Dogfish one.

Tried the DFH Squall on Christmas night.

I gotta say, it was a big, big let down. Think of the 90 minute but way, way sweeter and maltier. I was wondering where are the hops?

It was just waaaaaaaaaay too sweet and malty for my tastes. Can't see myself buying it again.

But I did pick up some Terrapin Coffee-Oatmeal Stout that I'll be trying tonight. 1022.gif

The Terrapin Coffee-Oatmeal Stout was good (if you like coffee stouts).

Today I picked up a beer with the longest name ever I think, Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout.

Rated very highly on BA, I will try it tonight in my new Stone IRS Tulip glass

trink38.gif