Getting stuff signed

I've heard stories on here on the past few tours about people mailing things to the venue a little before the show and getting them sent back a few weeks later signed by the band. I have a poster I want to get signed and so I was thinking about doing that this tour. I was wondering if anybody who has experience with this could break down the process, how far in advance we should send items in, what we need to send with it, etc. I'm sure a lot of other people would like to know this too.

I sent a book 1 week before the show. send it to the address of the venue ATT. Rush . I got it back 1 week after the show

I got a tourbook signed - after sending a t-shirt lol They didn't sign the t-shirt, but sent it back to me along with a signed S&A Live Tourbook. (edit - forgot to say how far in advance and how long it took lol) I sent it in about a week and a half beforehand -to Liam Birt's attention - and received it about a week after the show.

I'm not sure how easy the poster would be to get signed unless you damage the posted by folding it and sending it in - because you have to send a self-addressed, stamped return package along with what you're sending to be signed - so a poster tube would be out sad.gif

Edited by LakesideMaiden

QUOTE (ForceTen @ May 17 2010, 03:48 PM)
Would sending in an album (Archives) work? Have to figure out how to package that one...

not sure - if you mailed it in an envelope with a return envelope you risk bending or breaking the LP. You could package it with stiff cardboard inserts and request that they reuse them when they send it back - and run the risk if they don't...

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ May 17 2010, 03:01 PM)
Would sending in an album (Archives) work?  Have to figure out how to package that one...

not sure - if you mailed it in an envelope with a return envelope you risk bending or breaking the LP. You could package it with stiff cardboard inserts and request that they reuse them when they send it back - and run the risk if they don't...

Thanks. I wouldn't send the records themselves, just the cover. Or, maybe I would. I dunno. I paid $2.50 for it a couple of years ago so it's not a financial hardship if it gets lost.

QUOTE (ForceTen @ May 17 2010, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ May 17 2010, 03:01 PM)
Would sending in an album (Archives) work?  Have to figure out how to package that one...

Thanks. I wouldn't send the records themselves, just the cover. Or, maybe I would. I dunno. I paid $2.50 for it a couple of years ago so it's not a financial hardship if it gets lost.

Well it would probably make for a much lighter package if you take the record out before mailing it yes.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 17 2010, 10:31 PM)
So I guess it wouldn't be very practical to send a poster. I have an extra copy of ATWAS on vinyl so I might just send the sleeve for that, and buy one of those LP frames for it.

They're fairly inexpensive for a decent one - I think $10 or $12 at AC Moore. We have a bunch of Rush albums framed on our wall smile.gif

QUOTE (ForceTen @ May 17 2010, 02:48 PM)
Would sending in an album (Archives) work? Have to figure out how to package that one...

I got 2112 signed through this method; so yes, you can get an album signed (they even sent back the silver sharpie I sent w/the album.

Just find 2 oversized padded envelopes (one to send to them; one for them to send back) and put the album inside to sign. Make sure you send it to the arena with big print that says: Attention: Liam Birt, Rush Tour Manager and be sure to put plenty of postage on your return envelope (along with your address).

I wouldn't send anything too valuable (in terms of money or sentimental value) in case someone at the arena is less than honest. I have yet to see my R30 Tour book back.

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ May 17 2010, 11:48 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 17 2010, 10:31 PM)
So I guess it wouldn't be very practical to send a poster. I have an extra copy of ATWAS on vinyl so I might just send the sleeve for that, and buy one of those LP frames for it.

They're fairly inexpensive for a decent one - I think $10 or $12 at AC Moore. We have a bunch of Rush albums framed on our wall smile.gif

Target and Walmart have them too, for around $10.

Thank you for the information!!!

I just mailed out my 2010 Tour book to MSG, NY 10 days before show

$5 of stamps on self addressed padded envelope

total cost

10 for envelopes

10 for stamps

20 for TM Tour 2010 book

$1.75 silver sharpie

sent a nice letter congratulating them on their recent recognition, thanked them for a lifetime of inspiration

and asked them to Sign "BIG" because i cant stop thinking that way!..wink.gif

Thanks again for providing me with the right information...and have fingers crossed!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Just bought a silver Sharpie and two oversized padded envelopes for a total of $5. The Sharpie is taped to a piece of paper with a little note thanking them for the music and inspiration, and it's all ready to go with my Moving Pictures LP sleeve. What's a good amount of postage to put on the envelopes? Edited by thizzellewashington

For those of you with books, where did the member sign? On the inside flap, or the first page? I want to leave a written thank you for them, and I want to be sure they see it. It won't be a large one, but a meaningful one nonetheless.

QUOTE (RUSHian62 @ Apr 1 2011, 03:31 PM)
Please let us know where a good venue is to send things.
Thanks!

I was going to send something to Baltimore but after the phone call now I have to think of another place. I am not familiar with the venues on this tour (last summer at Bristow, VA I had something signed and got it back, no problem). I might wait until the 2nd leg in June for the New Orleans (my hometown) show and hope I'm lucky!

if your swag is over 13oz. someone(a roadie, security has to take to the post office or it will be returned to venue or lost if mailed in a mailbox

solution only UPS or Fed-x

QUOTE (jmdyyz @ Apr 4 2011, 02:36 PM)
if your swag is over 13oz. someone(a roadie, security has to take to the post office or it will be returned to venue or lost if mailed in a mailbox

solution only UPS or Fed-x

if your swag is over 13 0z...put it on a diet

my mag and envelopes sharpie weighed 9 oz..probably the same a record sleeve...dont send record

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 4 2011, 04:11 PM)
I'm printing off the 13 pages of"I'm not supporting Rush financially anymore" and posting it to Dublin.....with a note that starts "Deer Alice, Kneel & Freddie..."

They'll sign it for sure.

hahaha...awesome 1022.gif